Replies

• WhoTheHellIsBen
    WhoTheHellIsBen Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    As long as there is sex involved I really don't care what she calls it
  • RaineMarie
    RaineMarie Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I've always referred to casualness as "seeing someone" and more committed as "dating." When I refer to my boyfriend, I'll say we've been dating for 8 or so months. The first month we were spending time together I would say that we were "seeing each other" to imply that we were spending time together but it wasnt serious, but after we had the relationship talk, I started saying we were "dating." I feel like that implies more of a seriousness to the status of the relationship. But I think it's different for everyone. :)
  • Kellybeth16
    Options
    I don't even know what to call my own man/boyfriend/male friend/boy i go out with/who I'm dating casually, but we aren't seeing other people, unless he wants to see other people occassionally (and not tell me), and we've been doing this for 3 years. How can I even begin to explain the difference between "dating" and "going out".
    Oh, and don't get me started on the kid thing, we have many outings with his kids, which poses to be even more confusing.

Now my head really hurts.

And I added absolutely nothing to this thread. So, I'll end it with this..... Sex is what makes the world go round.
  • jillica
    jillica Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I called it "going out" in middle school. As an adult, I call it dating.
    This is what I thought, too.
  • LittleMiss_WillLoseIt
    Options
    I don't understand why you have to label anything to do with relationships. I don't get it. If we are spending time together then that's all it should matter. If two people like each other enough, they'll want to spend more time together...too simple.

AGREE 100%... I feel that trying to put a label on whatever it might be puts more pressure which might ruin the whole situation. Just my opinion. =)
  • LittleMiss_WillLoseIt
    Options
    going out MIGHT get me a beej.
    dating BETTER get me one.

Haha!!;)
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I don't know I'll have to ask my wife.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • frando
    frando Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I can't be the only one who thinks dating and going out are two different things! I havn't been in a relationship in over 2 years, but I have dated a few guys since then. Family and friends are a little confused when they ask if we are going out yet, and I tell them no, we are just dating. I guess I am picky, I don't jump into a relationship, I want to date to get to know them first. So I get "Dating and going out is the same thing." a lot. So far my sister is the only one who is the same way as me.

Dating - exclusive between the couple (or more!), personally it varies from serious to casual.
    Going out - very casual, multiple people (or just one), nothing serious, testing the water as it were.

To me both include sex!
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I can't be the only one who thinks dating and going out are two different things! I havn't been in a relationship in over 2 years, but I have dated a few guys since then. Family and friends are a little confused when they ask if we are going out yet, and I tell them no, we are just dating. I guess I am picky, I don't jump into a relationship, I want to date to get to know them first. So I get "Dating and going out is the same thing." a lot. So far my sister is the only one who is the same way as me.

I've always considered dating and going out as the same thing. And most people I know consider it the same thing as well...maybe it's a regional term or something.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I agree with you but to me they are the same. I'm dating this guy, I've been seeing this guy, I've been going out with this guy - all the same. All implies you are not yet in a committed relationship.

Once you are, then you're no longer "just" dating or going out or whatever. You're in a relationship and call each other boy/girlfriend.

This.
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    So I'm going to geek out here for a second (because it's what I do best!) and say that you should really read excerpts, articles, or books on the sociological framework and history of "dating" and "courtship" in America. It's really fascinating how the semantics of the word(s) and action(s) have changed over the past 50 years!

Our generation (and I'm 25... so... you get the idea) seems to not like the idea of dating multiple people at once (or maybe that's just because I'm from Tennessee). But doing so didn't used to be that big of a deal a few generations back. Hints the cheesy term "going-steady." Some sociologist suggest that it's a backlash of 60's and 70's free love culture and others say it's more to do with the AIDS epidemic...

It's really interesting though. I'm. Done. And I apologize for being an uber geek :D

Thanks for the read. When I was in the dating scene, I went out on dates with everyone I was potentially interested in. I didnt hide what I was doing and I thought it was fine. I didnt have a boyfriend. Most everyone else thought it was at least a little rude if not horrible. HAHA. Now I am in a good steady relationship. Maybe it is due to all the dates I went on :drinker:
  • SouthernSweetie74
    Options
    I don't date or go out. I just "talk" to men.
  • tennisbabe94
    tennisbabe94 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Well when I meet someone, I go on a date because I want to get to know them. I don't say "Hey, lets be exclusive and your my boyfriend!" after the first date, so we continue to date. If, after a few dates I decide that I do want to be exclusive with them, then we are boyfriend/girlfriend (which yes, sounds like a childish term but I can't think of a better term for it) I define dating as the period of time from meeting someone, and the point in time where we "define the relationship."

^^This
  • Darkskinned88
    Darkskinned88 Posts: 1,177 Member
    Options
    they are two different monsters, dating is just that we're going on dates, we call/text eachother but i'm not going to assume i'm the only guy in the picture nor should she assume she's all alone in my datebook. Going out/exclusivity is another phase entirely at that point we're only dating one another