PCOS ladies- it is possible. 106 lost in a year w/NO meds

Options

Replies

• rainlover711
    rainlover711 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post, and you look AMAZING!!

I am currently taking metformin, I've been on it for about 2 years with no weight loss.
    It does help with my acne and regulates my periods a bit, so I'm happy about that.

I am on a new program of high protein and low carbs and cutting calories.
    I'm hoping that once I lose the weight, my body and hormones will readjust and I will no longer need the metformin.
    We will see!

Congrats on your amazing progress!
  • Olive32214
    Olive32214 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    You look amazing. Congrats!!!
  • AmyP619
    AmyP619 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Amazing story! You are exactly right. I think anyone can lose weight if you truly put your mind to it and consistently eat a healthy diet and exercise regularly. If you start then stop those things.. of COURSE you're going to gain and not lose. The key is to set a goal, do everything in your power to hit it, then maintain by continuing on that healthy behavior. Job well done! You're an inspiration!!!!!
  • stxfuneral
    Options
    You look amazing! I have PCOS too and you have just made my whole day!!!
  • AquaFitQueen
    AquaFitQueen Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post, and you look AMAZING!!

I am currently taking metformin, I've been on it for about 2 years with no weight loss.
    It does help with my acne and regulates my periods a bit, so I'm happy about that.

I am on a new program of high protein and low carbs and cutting calories.
    I'm hoping that once I lose the weight, my body and hormones will readjust and I will no longer need the metformin.
    We will see!

Congrats on your amazing progress!

Awesome! I too was on metformin and was one of the unlucky ones that had 0 weight loss, haha I have all the luck! I too am finding it best to have higher protein and lower carb combined with calorie counting :) Good luck to you!
  • rosarenee1
    rosarenee1 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    You look awesome!
  • GoTmum
    GoTmum Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. You look amazing!
  • sunnymel126
    sunnymel126 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Amazing work!!! :)
  • shimmergal
    shimmergal Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Inspiring and gives me hope!
  • Restybaby2012
    Restybaby2012 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Last August I weighed 270lbs. Now I weigh 164. The short version: I stopped eating so much crap and started moving more.

I've posted here before to give people some inspiration since I used to love looking at these forums when I started what seemed to me to be an insurmountable goal. Seeing other people have success made me think that it was possible that one day I might be able to do it too. So that's why I'm posting again.

One thing I haven't mentioned before is that I have PCOS. (here's a description of PCOS. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001408/) The PCOS combined with unhealthy eating habits and a sedentary lifestyle lead me to gain roughly 10lbs a year throughout my twenties. It was a vicious cycle.

I married in 2002 at age 22, started trying for a baby in 2003 at age 23. We had trouble trying to conceive due to my PCOS and we went through fertility treatments to conceive our first two children. We have three kids and they were born in 2006, 2008, and 2010.

After our last baby was born in 2010, my concern for my PCOS kind of fell to the wayside since we aren't planning any more children. I sustained a debilitating spinal cord injury in 2011, I decided I needed to lead a healthier lifestyle, for the future of my family. I was left temporarily paralyzed from the waist down, and permanently paralyzed down part of my right leg and foot, and had to learn to walk again. I began counting calories with MFP, as well as cardio exercise every day for 45 minutes or more per day.

I know everyone is different, and there are varying degrees of PCOS. But my weight loss journey was possible without the use of any meds. (I had used metformin for a few months while TTC #2 in 2007 and it made me terribly sick). I did this entirely through changing my eating and exercise habits. I'm not saying this will be the case for everyone. Obviously, talk to your doctor to find out what's best for your personal goals.

So here's the basics of what worked for me:

Cutting down to eating 1500-1800 calories per day.
    Cardio exercise daily: walking, jogging, running, elliptical, biking. 45-120 minutes of sweating per day.
    And 7 months ago I added in strength training at the gym 2-3x/week.

I'm 5'8" tall and 32 years old.

Before (in the hospital with my spinal cord injury) and after (today!)
    photo-94.jpgphoto-96.jpg

Before: size 24 - 270 lbs
    photo-93.jpg

Size 10 dress - 164lbs
    photo-92.jpg

Last week (164lbs)
    20120827.jpg

If you have any questions, please ask.

Joy :-)

You lie!!!!! thats not the same person in those before / after pics :blushing: Im tellin!!!!

.....tellin the whole world what a freakin fantabulously mahvelous job you've done.!!!! You look amazing!!!!
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Great work! I'm so happy for you.
  • ExcelWithMel
    ExcelWithMel Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm 5'8" and weigh 164 too! Great job. You look amazing!!! I am finding I can fit into most 8 dresses and work pants, but jeans and shorts are still size 10 (I'm still working on my gut). So are you done (not that you need to loose more) but just curious because my original goal was 164, but I'm going for 159!
  • candctaber
    Options
    Congrats!!! You look amazing!!
  • joyzy
    joyzy Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm 5'8" and weigh 164 too! Great job. You look amazing!!! I am finding I can fit into most 8 dresses and work pants, but jeans and shorts are still size 10 (I'm still working on my gut). So are you done (not that you need to loose more) but just curious because my original goal was 164, but I'm going for 159!

I'm going for 150-160. Wherever I feel right in that range. I want to be stronger and faster and healthy.
  • givemenovember
    givemenovember Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this, it is good to hear that a fellow woman with PCOS was able to lose the weight. Great job!
  • Shara126
    Shara126 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    You look beautiful! Such an inspiration:)
  • lanie37
    lanie37 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    fellow PCOS here. Well done on all your hard work. Lots of small changes can make a big difference, exercise is a very important factor in weightloss for us luck PCOSers.
  • Awesome job!!!
  • gaylynn35
    gaylynn35 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Job well done!! You look amazing!! Congratulations!!

By the way, how did you get your stomach so flat?
  • joyzy
    joyzy Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Job well done!! You look amazing!! Congratulations!!

By the way, how did you get your stomach so flat?

There's still saggy skin, esp below the belly button. However I've been doing core strengthening exercises since December -planks, crunches, low row and lower back weight machines. And drinking a ton of water.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!