Cucumbers

Options
124»

Replies

• tealbubbles
    tealbubbles Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Every summer at almost every supper my mom would make her cucumber salad as one of our side staples:

Sliced cumbers
    sour cream to coat
    fresh dill
    onions sliced and then separated into rings (optional)

Think I am going to make this tomorrow :) Good memories!

In my low-carb days, I used to make BLT boats

Slice cucumber lengthwise and remove seeds
    Mix together about a Tbsp of turkey bacon finely chopped, finely chopped tomato, and just a small amount of mayo to coat
    Place this mixture into the boat......

Another super simple thing, but I think it's already been mentioned several times

Sliced cucumbers
    (sliced onions then pulled into rings)
    splash of vinegar (white, balsamic, red wine, rice) Just changing the vinegar each time mixes it up

Greek salad :)

Mix the cucumbers with any/some/all: tomatoes, olives, green/red pepper, onion, lettuce, feta cheese etc.

I LOVE cucumbers so love trying new things with them :) Lots of great ideas have been shared here that I am going to try!
  • Icandoit66
    Icandoit66 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    bump
  • busymomma97
    busymomma97 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    bump, sounds yummy!
  • aross123
    Options
    Bump
  • jules7890
    jules7890 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I use cucumbers with peppers and onions sliced all up and use light calorie dressing as marinade. Keeps for a week in fridge and is crunchy and satisfying treat!
  • Gailey
    Gailey Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Wow....thank you for all these fantastic ideas......I have a feeling my cucumbers will be gone in no time!!
  • Sabresgal63
    Sabresgal63 Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I cut up a cucumber and add a 1inch cube of 75% reduced fat cheddar (chopped in little pieces) and then add 1 tbls. of real bacon bits...............this is so goooooood. *** I do use full fat dressing because I like the taste:bigsmile:
  • Sabresgal63
    Sabresgal63 Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    If you make ranch dressing with a mix you can substitute a cucumber for the milk, and just run it all through the blender.

It's easy to make the pickled cucumbers you sometimes see at Chinese buffets. I don't have an exact recipe, but it's basically honey and vinegar with the peeled cucumbers, then let them sit awhile. I'm sure Google can point you toward specifics.

Cucumber sandwiches are good, especially with a little dill and cream cheese.

Slice cucumbers and onions very thin and add salt and vinegar (mayo would be optional if you want to add it) for a simple salad.

I had an Indian fried bread called thalipeeth that had shredded cucumbers in it, and was delicious! I don't have that recipe to hand, but surely there is one online. Sounds weird, but was really tasty.

There is a good recipe for the pickled Asian cukes on Pinterest:bigsmile:
  • morbidgypsy
    Options
    I love to slice them, salt/pepper and fry in a lil olive oil.
  • limesublime
    limesublime Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Bumpity bump bump!
  • sandiburn
    Options
    I make pickles every yr. You can get a great recepie from Ball or pinterest. They are not hard. It is the easiest thing I can.
  • EZaccone85
    EZaccone85 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    2 Cucumbers
    1 Onions
    2-3 tbsp Sour Cream
    1 or 2 cap fulls of Vinegar

I like mine vinegary...so taste...

cut the onions into slices
    peel skin off the cucumbers then slice them

Mix all ingredients together
  • sarahkatara
    sarahkatara Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    this is my new favorite forum topic. thanks to all who posted a recipe!
  • washingtonu
    Options
    I have a great freezer cucumber recipe that I will TRY to remember when I get home. I will post it ONCE I find it among all my others keepers. The great thing is you can eat these in the dead of winter and they are as crunchy as they were when you picked them. They do have lots of sugar so you may want to experiment with the sweeteners. I have never used anything but the sugar, so I don't know how they will fare. You can make a batch of each to test them. :smile:
  • draco706
    draco706 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Greek salad
    2 med. cucumbers peeled and diced - 1/2 cup=8cal
    2 med onions (white) diced - 1/2 =30cal
    2-4 tomatoes diced (depending on size)- serving 22cal
    1 can black olives -rinsed 1cup 154cal
    2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil -1TBsp =120cal
    black pepper to taste
    oregano (fresh or dried to taste)
    Toss or if using processor mix well
    feta cheese to taste 1/4C=99cal
    Feeds 4-8.
    Add simple grilled chicken or fish for a complete meal.
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    cucumber sandwiches like the Queen .....
    PEOPLE! Really, this is right. The cucumber tea sandwich is the BOMB!
    It is god's supreme gift to cuisine. Some people put a little butter on them. I use Mayo. (I know, I shouldn't say that here.)

yep my son makes these for us every once in awhile. He has a great dill spread he makes to use on the toast or bread