Best abs exercises for losing belly fat?

Options

Replies

• samigirl1975
    samigirl1975 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I was trying to do the same thing. Just target the tummy area, but reading online and YouTube, I learned you just have to exercise and watch your calorie intake and cut as much bread products out of your diet. That's what I been told. Glad I found this thread as I just started my weight loss on Monday. Much luck!!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    How low does BF% need to be (as an average sort of general rule of thumb) for abdomens to get flatter? I'm not a complete idiot so I know everyone is different/loses at different rates etc etc, so a very general ball park figure will suffice, but I am clueless about how to proceed during my last 12lb to move towards the body I want.

Well, to give you an idea, most athletes have visible abs, a female athlete will typically have a body fat percentage of between 14 - 20% whereas a male athlete will have between 6 - 13%.

How much is that impacted by how much muscle you have under that fat? i.e. if you have more muscle, it'll begin to show at a higher body fat % than if you had less?

I'm at 11ish% and my abs are no where near showing.
  • shelbyfrootcake
    shelbyfrootcake Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Well, to give you an idea, most athletes have visible abs, a female athlete will typically have a body fat percentage of between 14 - 20% whereas a male athlete will have between 6 - 13%.

How much is that impacted by how much muscle you have under that fat? i.e. if you have more muscle, it'll begin to show at a higher body fat % than if you had less?

Thanks. I'll just keep on trucking and hope for the best for a while!
  • Patovader
    Patovader Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    How low does BF% need to be (as an average sort of general rule of thumb) for abdomens to get flatter? I'm not a complete idiot so I know everyone is different/loses at different rates etc etc, so a very general ball park figure will suffice, but I am clueless about how to proceed during my last 12lb to move towards the body I want.

I think I made a qualified statement - I am not an expert and don't purport to be.

Edit as that sounds a little blunt and that was not the intention. I guess the best thing to do is to go see a personal trainer and get some sound advice, there are a few on here who offer some great advice :)
  • shelbyfrootcake
    Options
    The easiest ab exercise is walking... out of the kitchen.

And what about for people already near or at their target weight?
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

I think I made a qualified statement - I am not an expert and don't purport to be.

I'm not arguing... it was a genuine question. Logically it makes sense to me, but I don't know much about this stuff.
  • Tann19
    Tann19 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    trick question?

and overall bodyfat % is not necessarily related to stomach fat. even when I am 45lbs overweight I don't have a "gut" I gain weight on my hips and legs. there are some people who gain a lot of weight around their stomach and have very thin legs.

but once your bodyfat is less than 20% you shouldn't have a lot of fat anywhere, lower for men.

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Diet. 300-400 cals below your total daily energy expenditure. Incorporate cardio at 110-130bpm for 1-2 hours a day. Lift three to four days a week, doing ab's no more than a couple of days a week, like any other muscle.

Accept that the process will last 12-16 weeks, maybe more to truly get where you want, dependant on starting weight.

You can't target fat reserves, the body removes it as it genetically see's fit for you're body. Otherwise most women would have really skinny faces even when fat...
  • ihateroses
    ihateroses Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    female-body-fat-percentage-pictures.jpg
  • kezza_2009
    Options
    Go to the gym and get a trainer to teach you free weights....more muscle = more fat burning! I'm 30 and my metabolism is a machine, better body now then I have ever had... I mix it up with cardio interval training and heavy free weights...no alcohol and a clean eating style diet...meat,veg, fish, fruit...and plenty of water...good luck.. :) p.s squats and deadlifts are your best friend..get someone who knows there stuff to teach you ;)
  • shelbyfrootcake
    Options
    Diet. 300-400 cals below your total daily energy expenditure. Incorporate cardio at 110-130bpm for 1-2 hours a day. Lift three to four days a week, doing ab's no more than a couple of days a week, like any other muscle.

Accept that the process will last 12-16 weeks, maybe more to truly get where you want, dependant on starting weight.

You can't target fat reserves, the body removes it as it genetically see's fit for you're body. Otherwise most women would have really skinny faces even when fat...

You know, I think I'll stick with the flabby stomach. I'm just not willing to spend 2 hours a day exercising, so it that's what it takes I'd rather go without.
  • Matt_Wild
    Options

You know, I think I'll stick with the flabby stomach. I'm just not willing to spend 2 hours a day exercising, so it that's what it takes I'd rather go without.

It'll just take longer, thats all :)
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    [

it does NOT take 2 hours a day. 30 minutes a day is more than enough
  • Matt_Wild
    Options
    [

Depends on the level of conditioning you want TBH.

There is no hard and fast rule! I said 1-2 hours cardio, and its automatically being seen as two.

30 mins would be much slower going from my experience with me AND the girls and guys I prep.
  • Patovader
    Patovader Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    female-body-fat-percentage-pictures.jpg

18% is best for me... Oh sorry, we are not playing that game ;)
  • shelbyfrootcake
    Options
    [

I just want to flatten down a bit. And still eat bread. :tongue:
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    [

There is no hard and fast rule! I said 1-2 hours cardio, and its automatically being seen as two.

30 mins would be much slower going from my experience with me AND the girls and guys I prep.

ya....true.

many people seem to think that working out is only what we do in the gym. we can increase our caloric burn throughout the day by being more proactive. Park farther away from the door, use the stairs and that sort of thing. It all adds up.
  • shelbyfrootcake
    Options
    [

ya....true.

many people seem to think that working out is only what we do in the gym. we can increase our caloric burn throughout the day by being more proactive. Park farther away from the door, use the stairs and that sort of thing. It all adds up.

I got rid of my car completely, never use the lifts at work and swapped my desk chair for a gym ball. I am utterly sedentary in my job so am trying to squeeze in the little things to help me along.
  • TroJon
    TroJon Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    LIPO ONLY WAY
  • Matt_Wild
    Options
    I got rid of my car completely, never use the lifts at work and swapped my desk chair for a gym ball. I am utterly sedentary in my job so am trying to squeeze in the little things to help me along.

Break cardio into 15 min segments. All adds up to the same thing - 15 mins cardio on waking, 15 mins when you get in, 15 mins later in the evening etc... all adds up and easily done :)