Best abs exercises for losing belly fat?

Options

Replies

• shelbyfrootcake
    shelbyfrootcake Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I got rid of my car completely, never use the lifts at work and swapped my desk chair for a gym ball. I am utterly sedentary in my job so am trying to squeeze in the little things to help me along.

Break cardio into 15 min segments. All adds up to the same thing - 15 mins cardio on waking, 15 mins when you get in, 15 mins later in the evening etc... all adds up and easily done :)

Does the 15 minute brisk walk to the station in the morning (and back again in the evening) count?
  • PittShkr
    PittShkr Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    185067_381674598568268_67111364_n.jpg

Thats Pimpin!
  • akaOtherWise
    akaOtherWise Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I just want to flatten down a bit. And still eat bread. :tongue:

I don't get it....why can't you eat bread while losing weight?
  • shelbyfrootcake
    Options

I do eat bread. Food Nazis seem to be very anti bread though. Apparently we must all beware the evils of carbs.
  • Patovader
    Patovader Posts: 439 Member
    Options

I do eat bread. Food Nazis seem to be very anti bread though. Apparently we must all beware the evils of carbs.

Check my diary out - carbtastic lol
  • shelbyfrootcake
    Options

Check my diary out - carbtastic lol

*SUPER LIKE*
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    [

people who arent all excited about bread (grains) have nothing against carbs. Bread tastes great and all that but (IMO) I perform better and feel better and manage my weight better when I get my carbs from veggies rather than grains.
  • mcpherson4
    mcpherson4 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    pilates. plain and simple.
  • a_stone_girl_dances
    Options
    hey everyone =)

I'm doing quite well with MFP so far, trying to do some form of cardio from just walking, to zumba or yoga, every day

And wondering what I can do to really focus on my abs and tummy region as this is where I seem to be storing most of my fat.

I've tried the 8minute abs video on youtube which seems good but any advice would be really appreciated.

Please bear in mind I'm still a beginner and might not understand any technical terms or names of exercises just yet!

Thanks in advance x

Just wanted to let you know that I feel your pain! My tummy's always present and it's annoying. Best of luck to you on your journey and lets hope both of our tummies decide to shrink more in the process. :)
  • shelbyfrootcake
    Options
    pilates. plain and simple.

Worth a punt.
  • jen_bd6
    jen_bd6 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    You can't really "spot reduce" an area, but I have been doing a lot of circuit training, core strengthening, planks 30 sec intervals x 5-10 3xs/wk, and HIIT cardio and have had great results. I also make sure to really push myself at the gym twice a week, kicking up the circuit training, doubling my circuits on those days. I also try to incorporate more protein into my diet and limit sugar/processed carb intake on protein days when I lift (works for me, but everyone has different views on carbs and everyone's body responds differently) I've lost about 13 inches total on my waist, 12 inches on my hips and about 10 around my chest, and 45ish pounds.. so I guess I'm doing something right :) Feel free to add me if you like. I'm on everyday and try to encourage/motivate as much as I can :)

Good luck to you on your journey!
  • Scott277
    Options
    So much BS in this thread.

Here is an awesome article on general eating towards a healthy diet, losing fat and gaining sixpackabs :)

http://www.menshealth.com/weight-loss/weight-loss-abs-diet-and-six-pack-abs?fullpage=true
  • phynyxfyre
    phynyxfyre Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I read on one site that in order to see a 6pack in women, you will need to be at 12% body fat. If your ab muscles are bigger due to working out, then they will be visible sooner. I do not remember what it was for men. There are a lot of BFP (Body Fat Percentage) calculators out there.

I am from the school of thinking that if the bread is not bleached and minimally processed, it is a great carb. We do need carbs in our diets to provide energy. We do not need as much sodium (only 1500 mgs per day), carbs, or fats in our diet as the typical American consumes. If nearly 2/3 of our population is over healthy weight and 1/3 is obese, I think that statement is more than fair.

And I agree that abs are made in the kitchen. I also realize that at my body fat percentage, it is going to take until May next year IF I keep going the way I am going and don't have a setback or plateau for me to achieve the toning and definition I want. I do NOT want to look like a bodybuilder and have freakishly large muscles and lose my curvy behind and breasts. I want to keep those and be able to wear a bikini. That is my end goal. Oh, and must wear yoga pants. Lol.
  • phynyxfyre
    phynyxfyre Posts: 145 Member
    Options

Here is an awesome article on general eating towards a healthy diet, losing fat and gaining sixpackabs :)

http://www.menshealth.com/weight-loss/weight-loss-abs-diet-and-six-pack-abs?fullpage=true

That is it! That is where I started reading! Awesome!
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options

Really? Carry on if you think menshealth is the corner stone to weight loss!
  • shelbyfrootcake
    Options

Really? Carry on if you think menshealth is the corner stone to weight loss!

The magazine might be gob****e (I have no clue, I've never read it), but is the article worth much kop?
  • Culley34
    Options
    Menshealth... ehhhh? I got a two year subscription as a Christmas present from my parents. Needless to say - I didn't renew it when the time came.

They print stuff to print stuff... literally, every month sounded the same. Often times the magazine recycled the same information and used obscure, weird studies as justifications. Like a Danish study found drinking coffee will help you lose 4-8 lbs...!

Case in point: Every cover of Cosmo says: 100 sex tips that will make your man sizzle. If you're keeping count, shouldn't they have provided like 678,000 different, original ideas at this point?
  • Louise1247
    Louise1247 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    If you have some belly fat and train you abs to much, your belly will even look bigger, because your muscles grow under your fat.

So train your abs, but not to much and focus on cardio, zumba and a whole body work out. Good luck.

Thats rubbish, you burn fat before your muscle shows. It'll help 'lift' a little. Muscle doesnt just grow fast on women!
  • mdmcmillen
    mdmcmillen Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    You can't drain a swimming pool from the deep end first. Fat works the same way. Just work on your total body fat % and eventually the belly fat will burn away :)
  • PapaDunx
    Options
    Damn people!! So much animosity here.

Im just gonna say, why have a six pack when you can have the whole barrel?
    (its just the size of the barrel that need reducing)

What works for some people doesnt work for others.

But like noses on faces, everyone has an opinion ... :huh: