What was your wake-up call?

Options

Replies

• littlemissmo83
    littlemissmo83 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I am literally having that moment right now. Last year I lost 4 stone really fast using Lighterlife, since then i have put on 15kg! I stepped on the scale this morning as my jeans are so tight, even though I think I eat well and exercise - clearly I dont. I feel mortified, i feel a bit scared that I am going to wake up heavier than I started back last year (only 6kg off it) and slightly disillusioned that I wont ever reach the weight I got to.

But, 1lb at a time. By christmas day I want to be back to where I was. 15 weeks to shift a 1kg a week. I need to start being selfish again and putting myself first to get this shifted. I love MFP - the community is awesome and I look forward to reaching my goal.

I hate waking up in the morning feeling tight in my clothes, uncomfortable and bloated...I need to get that skinny feeling back again.
  • vanillarama
    vanillarama Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    It was on my 25th birthday. I was at a party, dancing with a young man (god, he must have been about 18, lol ;) ) and my knee went out. Embarrassingly, he thought I was just really drunk and walked away, and I didn't even realize the full extent of it until the next day, as it had popped back into place.

I went to the doctor, and asked what HE was going to to do fix it. He, in simple terms, explained it was upon me to take my life back into my own hands and told me all the horrible things I was doing to myself at 5 foot 8 and almost 220 pounds (size 18-20 on a good day)

I never forgot that conversation. It wasn't immediate- of course I went home and sulked a bit about what he'd said, then got angry at him, then got angry at me, then decided to take care of things- slowly.

It took a few years, but I am now 38 and a size 8 (around 135 pounds at the moment) - and I have been for over 10 years. I've had some setbacks, but I always came back to what my goals were- to be able to move how I wanted- and I use tools like MFP to keep me on track :)
  • cmkeene01
    Options
    Im almost 30 over weight and have high cholesterol. I don't like how I look or feel. But what really got me was when my best friend who is like a sister pretty much said I don't want the next funeral that I attend to be yours
  • seehe
    seehe Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    I've had plenty of experiences that are wake up calls. but I just didn't think I could lose weight (without starving myself) and keep it off. But my mother's deteriorating health was haunting me and I really didn't want to be so unhealthy in my older years, so I decided to get some support to start a weight loss plan individualized for me and signed up for two weeks at Canyon Ranch for education and motivation. A month before I was scheduled to go to Canon Ranch, I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes. This did it for sure! I realized it is not just about losing weight or a diet, but about changing my lifestyle and about being healthy. I gave up smoking starting that day, and a month after that gave up drinking soda. Then I went to Canyon Ranch which is like wellness on steroids, and learned a lot about nutrition and other things. I am returning the end of this month for a second week follow up and looking forward to it!
  • Tebbspcad
    Options
    There was a photo of me in what i thought were 'flattering' clothes - the real eye opener was seeing how big my arms and thighs had gotten & I honestly still thought i looked ok at that point! There was that and the fact that i wobbled when i ran :sad:
  • Tank_Girl
    Tank_Girl Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    This is pretty hard for me to type... I was always athletic, cycling, horseriding, mma.
    Up until I was 21 when I became pregnant... Even throughout my pregnancy I didnt gain much weight, unfortunately there were complications and our son died as a result... Between dealing with my boyfriends depression, my own post natel depression, the soreness from the c-section, my boyfriends alcohol problems and f*cking neighbours telling me how sorry they were for my loss every time I stepped out the door of my flat for months afterwoulds.... I stopped going out, I stayed all day every day in my flat, I no longer exercised as that involved going out and some *kitten* reminding me my son was dead, I ate junk as I no longer cared what I ate.
    I took a house move before I started going out again, we got married but by that point I was drinking heavily and still eating junk
    3 years later, many embaressing fat pics later and I decided im gonna work hard and hit the reset butfon to my 21yr old self... Despite the fact im now 27... I cant turn the clock back but I can regain my fitness and some of my looks
  • stephaniec78
    stephaniec78 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I love to travel. I go on vacations and take tons of pics that I share on facebook with my friends. Over the past few years I knew I had gained some weight, but still thought I looked okay and wasn't ashamed to post the pics of myself on facebook. This year I went to Hawaii. I had a great time and took tons of pics. When I got home and was ready to start posting my pics I was floored at how large I looked in my pics. I think I found one pic of myself that I wasn't mortified with. Then I realized that my profile pic was from 2 years ago. I started walking daily the next day. I have lost 13 lbs since then and joined MFP to help continue my journey to better health and more weight loss.
  • KarenRae66
    KarenRae66 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    i was sitting in the chair getting my hair done..I was looking into a great big mirror covering the entire wall..I thought I was seeing a pic of Jabba the Hut!! It was all I could do not to cry!! I knew right then and there I had to do something. I had been on MFP about a year ago so already had it set up. I am in my 4th week and feeling great..I am trying not to look at how far I have to go but how far I have come. I am sooo looking forward to joining the ONEderland culb!!!
  • AroraSumita
    Options
    my heels started hurting when i walked....
  • tourettte
    tourettte Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Many things happened in one short month. Seeing my grandmas medicine cabinet (pills she has to drink because all the weight induced medical issues). mom's nagging, breakup, couple of bad pics, wardrobe full of beautiful clothes that doesn't fit anymore, Being unable to get to work without panting...And myself. I felt heavy. So I started doing something about it.

I think the most important thing that got me going was that finally realizing that thinking about having normal weight won't make me any thinner and that if i wait for a quick fix (magic pill etc) i'll die sooner than think.
  • xoxobollywood1991
    Options
    May 2011 - I was literally eating whatever I wanted because I was so depressed of people constantly calling me fat. I ate 5000+ calories for one week, and gained 8 lbs just by that. Then....after so many decisions & research I made a change in May 2012 (a year later) and have kept going w/ eating healthy & exercising everyday. Lost 21 lbs as of today. Happier than Ever,
  • Nina2503
    Nina2503 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Looking back at all my holiday photos over the years and realising that I had spent most of my life over weight. I have been a yo yo dieter since my mid 20's I suppose. I have never really been more than 28/30lbs over weight but when you are short it doesnt carry well! I lose the weight easily enough (or did in my youth) but then get slack and slowly it creeps back. I have been lucky enough to travel a lot and seen a lot of places but when I look at the pictures I dont remember the good things I ve seen and done just see a the person in them who I dont recognise as me! It was this summer that did it for me.
  • _Tuyana_
    _Tuyana_ Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Chafing.
    One day in summer I went for a stroll and when I got home my inner thighs where tender from chafing. I never used to have this problem before. At my heaviest I was about 130 lbs (I'm petite), then I starved myself down to 103 in a year or so. I'm back up to about 113 lbs, but my body fat % is too high as a result of my starvation. This time around I want to do it the right way, and concentrate on losing body fat, not weight.
  • one day i was bored and was watching tele while eating and realised i should of been outside bringing the dog for a walk and not being a lazy s**t! Just get up and go! :)
  • 46Phil
    46Phil Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Pictures that I saw of my DH and myself that were taken in Aug 2012 while we were visiting our newborn granddaughter. They made me realize we both would have to shed some pounds to keep up with her in the near future.
  • eviegreen
    eviegreen Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    The first time I lost weight: when a girl at my college approached me for a photo project about unhealthy eating. She said she wanted a fat model.

The second time: When I tried to shimmy on a pair pants that I had bought during my weight loss progress the first time. When I had lost the weight the first time, they were getting big. When I tried them on that day, I couldn't even pull them up my thighs.

I decided NO MORE. Now the pants are bigger than when I lost weight the first time. :)
  • stephd3392
    Options
    My ex boyfriend left for boot camp for the US Marines Corps July 9, 2012. The next time I will get the opportunity to welcome him back from boot camp will be in Dec or Jan. SO, since he is getting in great shape, I want to blow his mind about what he's missing out on. Also, I am hoping to find a boyfriend who likes fitness and eating healthy as much as I do! Hopefully, getting in great shape will help attract those types of guys.
  • checof
    checof Posts: 114
    Options
    The first time I lost weight: one of my younger cousins asked me "When are you having your baby." :/
    That was some years ago.

This time, it was a string of horrible pictures taken by a friend and posted on FB, followed by standing on the scale at my doctor's office, and having it read 240, my heaviest ever, and then being informed that my cholesterol is borderline high. At 27. :/

It was mortifying, but that's what it took to get me to snap out of it and get serious about getting fit.
  • Ppashash
    Options
    I'd always been a big girl, but I put on about 20 lbs after getting engaged. I stepped on a scale at Target one day, and the dial shot up past 200. I figured it was broken, so I tried another brand of scale and another and another but they all said the same thing. I also noticed that some of my favorite clothes were a little bit tight, but I was in denial and chalked it up to them shrinking in the wash.
    My fiance would tell me I was so beautiful, but then he'd constantly check out other women and he cheated on me with a much thinner girl. I was heartbroken, and figured it was because I was fat and maybe if I was thinner he would love me more.
    I worked out a little bit here and there, but never really saw results and felt discouraged because he would laugh at me when I did any sort of exercise.
    So I got serious about it, and started counting calories and working out every day while he'd be gone at work.
    I started running with our dog every night, which was incredibly motivating because as soon as I would pick up my running shoes she would go totally crazy with excitement! It felt like she was the only one who believed in me lol.
    I lost the weight, and gained a lot of self respect and confidence.
    Needless to say, I dumped him!
    I'm now healthier and happier than I've ever been, and literally can fit in the same size jeans I wore in 5th grade!
    I'm still about 10-15 lbs from my goal weight, but I'm no longer "obese" as defined by BMI charts.
    :D
  • juliefurry
    Options
    There was a mixture of things but the last straw was when an old work mate asked when I was due whilst rubbing my belly!! Mortifying :cry:

basically same thing happened to me...but at my grandpa's funeral and it was one of my cousins who asked me. Kinda made the whole day even worse for me than after that.