Can't eat over 800 calories a day.

Options
12345679»

Replies

• OK_Girl
    OK_Girl Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    As a person who has Ankylosing Spondylitis- ( you can google that, iffin' ya want...)

I get REALLY ticked off when people say they only exercise they can do is walk, and the rest of the day is sedentary- I've been in PT, and that is where you learn. You have more ligaments, muscles, tendons, cartilage in your hips (all over your body) that need regular movement to have any chance of improvement.

You sound like you have sentenced your hips to nothing but walking.

From someone who has SEVERE arthritis in my hips, spine, feet, as well as spinal cord issues, I can tell you being sedentary isn't going to help you get stronger- it's going to make you weaker. And eating like you do is going to destroy every bit of collagen in your body and then your joints will really be in trouble. I don't mean to sound rude, or like an *kitten*- I just hate when people say all they can do is walk- I'm pretty certain I am worse off than you in the hip / arthritis department- but I still follow my doctors and pt's and rheumatologists advice about exercise- and it sounds like you aren't doing that.
  • TheCuriosity
    TheCuriosity Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    It seems everyone is having a fit to see my diary, as if that will be the key to this issue. I have made it public, but other than the fact that I can not do real exercise because of my issues with my hips, I had 3 10lb babies which messed them up pretty bad (Dr said I couldn't have a 4lb baby naturally and I had all of them naturally), and my heart murmur (caused by scarlet fever when I was 4yr old), I do eat right, lots of veggies and lean meat, no red meats because I had my galbladder removed and it causes me issues. I try to never eat past 7pm. I don't eat all day, hate eating before noon, watch my sodium, etc. So, for those of you that think you can find an answer there...

Bingo! I called it first. Both exercise and eating right go together. Because you feel that you can reinjure your hip you do the least amount of work possible in a day, and so it reflects in your calorie maintenance. This might sound strange to you but putting more muscles on your body will help straighten your hip. This is how athletes do it all the time.

If I have to make a choice between working out and being able to walk, I choose walking. My oldest son is 33 yrs old, so I am no stranger to what happens to me when I do more than normal daily activities. I have had times when I have sat on the floor and played with my grandchildren, only to have to be lifted off the floor and limped for 3 days. I know my limitations, and unfortunately, this one is not up for debate.

Due to an injured hip and broken knee for several years I as very limited in movement, being in agony if I walked more than a km in a day and walking up stairs hurt. I was on pain medication 24/7. Last year I stopped feeling sorry for myself and I started to do a little bit of muscle building exercises (like squats) at first it was hard and sore and tough but building my muscles fixed that. Now I don't think twice about running up or down stairs and can now jog a bit, too. doping nothing isn't the answer, unless you want to get worse and end up in a wheel chair, then go for it. You don't use it, you lose it.

Exercise strengthens bones. Doing nothing deteriorate them.
  • Wantingslim
    Options
    Fellow shortie x
  • CaelynCamille
    Options
    Same here! If I eat my daily calorie goal (1200 calories a day) I gain weight! I log everything in, even small bites of anything! Don't understand it and it's maddening! The only way I have been able to lose weight is if I eat less than 800 cals a day :(