Does Anyone Here Ever Eat For Pleasure?

Options

Replies

• xoxmorgan
    Options
    I love eating for pleaure but I don't anymore because I'd go crazy as soon as I got a taste ;)
  • I eat for pleasure DAILY! Before I wanted to make a change, I ate for pleasure with dirty, high calorie, nasty for your body food. Now I'm doing better, not exactly as healthy as I hope to be, but my family just can't afford all the healthy food I want. So for example today, I was craving something sweet, my family has chocolate cookies in my cupboard, but I choose to have a granola bar with a tiny bit of cream cheese on top,it totally satisfied my craving, not exactly "healthy" but if I would of chosen the cookies, I wouldn't of been able to stop because I'm so used to eating whatever. do the best you can to eat even the slightest bit healthier and you'll feel better :)
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    i wish i could go back to eating the way i ate before i started this weight loss thing, but, i would gain back every pound i loss.

do u guys constantly worry abt calories, sodium, carbs, etc in everything u eat?

Yes, I eat for pleasure in the sense that I only eat things I like.

"Worry" isn't really the right word. I am aware of the calories and other components of what I eat, but once you learn what's in the majority of foods you eat regularly, it becomes second nature. I do have to monitor myself on portions sizes though. When I was younger, I was able to get away with less monitoring. Now in my 40s, I need to pay more attention. But it's more akin to the way you watch the gas tank in your car--you know what you need in the tank, but you don't fret about it.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Every single bite is a pleasure!!
  • Mookz0r
    Mookz0r Posts: 143
    Options
    I always eat for pleasure, but that isn't the same as eating excessively (although that happens too, why i'm here!). Life's too short not to. Food is there to enjoy (in moderation) because that is also a heathy and sustainable diet..
  • SouffleBoy
    SouffleBoy Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Everything that goes into my mouth must be pleasurable or I'll typically not eat it. I'd rather go hungry than waste calories on something that I don't find appetizing, though I must get better at hitting my macros..but I don't have complete autonomy over my food so its pretty hard.
  • mrssanderclause
    Options
    Eat a bite or two of something bad for you and throw it away. If you can't, then avoid totally. Once you get to a maintanence level, you can eat whatever you want again, in moderation and just exercise it off. I work out six or seven days a week so I don't need to deprive myself of occassional treats.
  • SouffleBoy
    Options
    vegetables, grilled chicken, brown rice, water etc isnt pleasurable to me. i want to eat fried foods, chips, and candy. I want to eat candy all day like i used to.

i miss those days

You need to spice up your food and maybe add some delicious sauces. Also you can still eat a small amount of junk food per day and still be fit and healthy and lose weight.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Gaining back weight is always on my mind since I worked so hard to lose it in the first place. I do eat for pleasure though....thats what a cheat meal or cheat day is for....that being said I dont eat "diet" food so I enjoy most everything I eat but I save the really bad treats for special occasions.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I try to eat healthy and only eat things that I like. I'm not a huge fan of chicken, I would say that's the only thing that I eat regularly that I don't really like.

And I also take social occasions as opportunities to have the indulgences that don't fit into my normal macros. Like vacation with my family was In-n-out! So good! I'd probably have more problems with self control if I was still on the west coast lol
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    What a dream it would be to no longer think of food as pleasure.
    I wouldn't miss it. There are so many other pleasures to be had, many of which are better with your eating under control.

Obviously though, I've not managed to pull off that bit of self-hypnosis.

My meal last night.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/730388-off-the-record?page=1#posts-10772457
  • SouffleBoy
    Options
    I wouldn't miss it. There are so many other pleasures to be had, many of which are better with your eating under control.

No other pleasure can even contest with the pleasure of food though. So many infinite flavours, textures, smells are brought about with food, you really wouldn't miss that?
  • manhn1
    manhn1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I'm puzzled by people with weight issues *(unless it's one where one needs to gain weight) who have never found pleasure in food. If you didn't find pleasure in it, how did you eat too much of it?

I would hate to eat stuff I don't enjoy. I drink coffee everyday. I will try out new coffeeshops all the time. It's one of the things I look for when I travel *(why do people go to chains and Starbucks when they travel? what is the point of travel when you can get to these places close to your home?).
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    vegetables, grilled chicken, brown rice, water etc isnt pleasurable to me. i want to eat fried foods, chips, and candy. I want to eat candy all day like i used to.

i miss those days

You need to go look around the Recipes section! Healthier choices don't have to be flavorless, dry and otherwise obnoxious. Goodness, if you only eat stuff you hate, how long do you think you're going to be able to keep it up?

Go over to the recipe section and promise yourself to try a new recipe every week. That's what I do!

Think about buying a slow cooker, too. You can get one for less than $20 and anyone can lay stuff inside it, turn it on and then come back 2-8 hours later to find a tasty meal. Absolutely no skill required beyond plugging it in and turning a dial. :bigsmile:
  • iAMsmiling
    Options

No other pleasure can even contest with the pleasure of food though. So many infinite flavours, textures, smells are brought about with food, you really wouldn't miss that?

Better to have the benefits of better health and longer life.
    I think as you get older, those things look more important than any short term pleasure, even one you can repeat every day.
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I don't think the word "worry" is what I do. I'm simply more conscious of what I put into my body. I love to cook and what I cook pleases my family and therefore I am pleased.
  • manhn1
    Options
    You can have health *and* eat food you like. It's not one or the other.

There's also mental health. I wouldn't be happy ingesting stuff I'm indifferent to.
  • iAMsmiling
    Options
    You can have health *and* eat food you like. It's not one or the other.

There's also mental health. I wouldn't be happy ingesting stuff I'm indifferent to.

Clearly though, having both is a problem for a lot of people, including most on this forum.
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    My taste buds like what I eat. I have noticed I have a much broader appreciation for food.

Yes I am extremely conscious of what I eat now, but I do savor the flavors I never really did before.

Never liked mushrooms, tomato's, yogurt, nuts and other things but they have been added to my palate repertoire.

Corn is sweeter, an apple is tastier... I seem to taste food better now that my mouth is not coated/ shellacked with fat and grease.
  • manhn1
    Options
    But the solution is not to eat stuff you hate. Are there people who lost the weight (and maintained the loss) by eating stuff they didn't like because it's "healthy"?