Options

Replies

• LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Yum, yum, love me some breakfast!

$100 bucks says you didnt even look at the article

I take PayPal.

I love reading everything about nutrition and fitness, and I do agree with the article...I just happen to love breakfast.
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    I love breakfast.

I didn't look at the article either, I hate wasting time!
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    http://www.leangains.com/2012/06/why-does-breakfast-make-me-hungry.html

Even this morning, I saw a another post saying that eating breakfast is almost mandatory for a healthy weight loss plan.

Before you tell someone this again, please read the above link. It is a lot of information to absorb, but well worth your time.

If you still want to have breakfast, go ahead, it wont hurt you, but not having breakfast just might help you reach your goals.

Not to be picky but just in the interest of discussion, I don't think Martin is saying breakfast is the worst meal of the day. I think he is hypothesizing why eating breakfast might make some people hungrier as the day goes on. Some people can eat breakfast and do great.

Personally, I feel better and much less hungry during the day if I don't eat in the morning, so it seems to hold true for me, but I doubt it is true for everyone.

And TBH, some of the science in this article I find a little sketchy, but I think he has a good theory all in all.
  • farmwife3815
    farmwife3815 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I'm diabetic so I have to eat. Once I started having a protein shake in the morning my sugar is more level and I feel a lot better too!!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    How does delaying breakfast not delay that insulin peak or actually reduce it. Oh, wait, not one of the referenced articles talks about that. Just stepping back to jump further into the pit.

The new broscience - make assumptions and reference them with articles that don't cover those assumptions.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Its really nice to have all your calories still available later in the day too.

This is the biggie for me. I'm not hungry in the morning so why should I force myself to eat calories I'll get far more enjoyment out of later in the day?

I agree with this for lots of people. I feel they overindulge at dinner, or in the late, late evening. Or 'snacking' before bed.

I eat oatmeal religiously for the same reasons. I even say a prayer for my oats.

if you read the article, he actually mentions oatmeal.

to me, (not him) oatmeal is the most over rated food on the planet. you would be better off with 3 eggs or some cheese or some other food that has protein and fat rather than all grains.
  • andie2013
    Options
    I'm giving this a try. I started 2 days ago so I have wait before I can say YAY or NAY for my situation.
  • christimw
    christimw Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Its really nice to have all your calories still available later in the day too.

This is the biggie for me. I'm not hungry in the morning so why should I force myself to eat calories I'll get far more enjoyment out of later in the day?

this is me too. its very rare for me to be hungry before 11-12. i feel physically awful if i force myself to eat when i'm not hungry.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    How does delaying breakfast not delay that insulin peak or actually reduce it. Oh, wait, not one of the referenced articles talks about that. Just stepping back to jump further into the pit.

The new broscience - make assumptions and reference them with articles that don't cover those assumptions.

ahhh...you didnt bother to read before attacking., He covers insulin in detail. but thanks for the attack
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Since I've skipped breakfast, about 6 years now, I haven't noticed any difference in being hungrier or even being less strong in the morning before I workout. Metabolism hasn't dropped either since I've been eating the same amount and haven't really gained any weight. It makes lifting heavy (squats, deadlifts, rows) much easier to do since I don't have anything in my stomach. Thanks for the article.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ebony__
    ebony__ Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I have done it both ways and lost both ways, so I think whatever works for you.

^^ this
    I think breakfast is definately one of those things where you just need to figure out what works best for you, because yes, everyone is different.

I personally find that if I have a big breakfast I'm hungary for the rest of the day and find it more difficult
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    In my experience, if I routinely skip breakfast then I eventually end up getting food cravings late at night b/c my body is expecting a long fast. But really, it's whatever works for you. Many people have an easier time controlling their calories by eating breakfast, whereas others have an easier time by skipping it.
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    I eat a healthy breakfast every day, now in the old days of cereal and/or toast yeah, starving by 10 and eating wrong all day. Lots of yummy veggies and protein at breakfast and I'm stoked and ready to kck some butt. Course I do have an intense busy job that keeps me running.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

ahhh...you didnt bother to read before attacking., He covers insulin in detail. but thanks for the attack

Not only have I read the article but some of the references too. In July. But thanks for more assumptions.
    Would you like to seriously discuss the references and assupmtions - perhaps the broscience label is incorrect. Would you like to test that?
  • Joannie30
    Joannie30 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I keep considering this, I think I just have it hammered in my head how important a good breakfast is.

Anyone else do this skipping / delaying breakfast and get good results? Is it good for someone trying to lose a fair bit of weight? (about 35lb more to go)

yes, I do it. The hunger is no big deal in the morning. I have coffee and water only in the a.m. I workout fasted. Try it. Its really nice to have all your calories still available later in the day too.

I'm pleased to see this! I HATE making myself eat breakfast just because everyone tells me i need to when all i really want in the morning is a coffee!!!! :smile:
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I love breakfast.

I didn't look at the article either, I hate wasting time!

Good plan, why 'waste time' opening yourself up to alternative ideas? So tedious ....
  • TattedXMomXStace
    Options
    If you talk to a nutritionist they will tell you that this is false information. . . . ive seen it and read it and never ate breakfast WHICH CAUSED ME TO NOT LOSE WEIGHT AND GAIN WEIGHT. . . . you need to eat breakfast in the morning to kick start your metabolism or else not eating breakfast throws it off. . . if you want to lose weight. . eat the 6 meals your supposed to a day. . . if you want to keep gaining weight and or have stagnant weight try skipping breakfast. . .

being diabetic i have to eat and have my sugar. . other people may not. . but everyone IS different and its your choice, just know what you could be getting yourself into.

some people need to eat breakfast or they pass out from low blood sugar. . . others can go till noon without food but its not healthy and wouldnt recommend it.
  • AJ_Pete
    AJ_Pete Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Everyone has an expert opinion, so you saying this makes you no better than those people who force breakfast down your throat. I don't eat breakfast and I agree with the sentiment, but your post is just another side to the debate.

I happen to typically not eat before 11 but there's days, like today, where I do.

Eat when you're hungry, people. Simple as that.
  • MommaKit79
    Options
    To each his/her on is what I say. some people HAVE to eat in the AM. I have my coffee in the am so I usually dont eat breakfast til later because of that. but, Coffee is like breakfast to me so it works. sometimes I'll wake up and eat a banana before my workout but, agian, my breakfast is usally a couple hours later.

Again, to each his/her own.

When my husband doesnt eat breakfast, he doesnt lose weight. He has to eat in order to lose. :-)
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    Everyone has an expert opinion, so you saying this makes you no better than those people who force breakfast down your throat. I don't eat breakfast and I agree with the sentiment, but your post is just another side to the debate.

didnt I say that if you want to eat breakfast it wont hurt you? thanks