why breakfast is the worst meal of the day

Options

Replies

• chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Regardless of what the article says or doesn't say - eating breakfast is a choice and for some eating breakfast sets them in a good path for a healthy day as for other it doesn't matter -- I believe that it all has to do with healthy eating habits -- I can only speak for myself but when I don't have breakfast I do feel sluggish during the morning - not the same with everyone...

I believe that peeps need to stop saying do it this way or do it that way - this is the better way, no this is the better way and say "this is what has worked for me" - then allow others to make up their own minds as to what works for them - no one way is the right way - it is all perception
  • Natashaa1991
    Natashaa1991 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    I keep considering this, I think I just have it hammered in my head how important a good breakfast is.

Anyone else do this skipping / delaying breakfast and get good results? Is it good for someone trying to lose a fair bit of weight? (about 35lb more to go)

yes, I do it. The hunger is no big deal in the morning. I have coffee and water only in the a.m. I workout fasted. Try it. Its really nice to have all your calories still available later in the day too.

I'm with you man!! next week i'll try to skip breakfast and see what happens! :)
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    How does delaying breakfast not delay that insulin peak or actually reduce it. Oh, wait, not one of the referenced articles talks about that. Just stepping back to jump further into the pit.

The new broscience - make assumptions and reference them with articles that don't cover those assumptions.

ahhh...you didnt bother to read before attacking., He covers insulin in detail. but thanks for the attack

Don't be so defensive! I think the poster above has a valid point. His references do not directly support his claim that increased morning cortisol levels acutely agonize insulin release. This is his theory, which is fine, but he does seem to imply that he is getting this from a study, which I do not believe is the case, after looking at what he is actually referencing.
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I think what the OP is doing is debunking the you have to eat breakfast myth. If it works for you, that's wonderful. Some people have to eat it. Diabetics, hypoglycemics, etc.

If you don't want to read Martin's article here's the TL;DR version:
    Breakfast doesn't fire up your metabolism. Skipping breakfast won't slow it down and make our bodies hoard our lunch and dinner.

There's a lot of great information in that article and others Martin wrote. They're worth reading even if you don't IF.

ETA - Skipping breakfast doesn't mean eating less calories. If you're doing that you've missed the entire point.
  • ouandi
    ouandi Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I read the article, very interesting. I just don't undestand how it would work for someone who is insulin resistant. Insulin resistant people tend to dump sugars in the night waking with high blood sugar. Food is needed to counter this or the sugars can go even higher. On the other side, they go exercise and their sugars drop super low because they've burned what's in their system and there is nothing else for it to work on since there is no food in their system. This is at least how my body works and I am not diabetic or pre-diabetic.

I do wonder if I fasted for a couple of weeks if my body would have a different response in the morning or if it would make it worse.
  • darls25
    darls25 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I think this makes sense. I get super hungry an 1 to 2 hours after I eat breakfast. I eat breakfast not being hungry in the morning either just because is be hammered in to my brain that we should be eating it. I am gonna try to eat later in the day. Thanks for sharing :smile:
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    I was ready to rubbish this article, but actually I'm pretty lean and I definitely feel hungrier in the morning around 1-2 hours post breakfast. And on the odd occasion I miss breakfast, I never seem to be hungry.

However, my breakfast (brown rice porridge almost every day - being GF and hating eggs in the morning is tricky, lol) is important as, firstly, I love it and secondly, I need the cals so I won't be skipping anytime soon! Each to their own xx
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Interesting read, and certainly something to consider particularly if you're one of those who gets hungry after eating breakfast.

Me, I like my breakfast and feel better after having it.
  • ebony__
    ebony__ Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    If you talk to a nutritionist they will tell you that this is false information. . . . ive seen it and read it and never ate breakfast WHICH CAUSED ME TO NOT LOSE WEIGHT AND GAIN WEIGHT. . . . you need to eat breakfast in the morning to kick start your metabolism or else not eating breakfast throws it off. . . if you want to lose weight. . eat the 6 meals your supposed to a day. . . if you want to keep gaining weight and or have stagnant weight try skipping breakfast. . .

being diabetic i have to eat and have my sugar. . other people may not. . but everyone IS different and its your choice, just know what you could be getting yourself into.

some people need to eat breakfast or they pass out from low blood sugar. . . others can go till noon without food but its not healthy and wouldnt recommend it.

This may be true but go and talk to another nutritionist and they may tell you something different. Just like on mfp even the professionals have differences of opinion :)
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Admittedly I am not usually very hungry in the morning but end up hungry in the evening when I have no calories let. I'll read up a bit more on it and consider it. It would be nice to have calories spare later in the day!
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Nice summary, artichocke, thanks!

I tried reading the article, but I have a much lower reading budget today than calorie budget. (IOW, I am short on time.) Suffice to say, I never tell people they "have" to eat breakfast. But I do most of the time. When I get up at 6, I'm hungry by 7:30. I eat breakfast. OTOH, if I get up at 10 I see no point in eating breakfast when I'm going to have lunch at noon. (This happens about once per week.)

The real answer is the same here as anywhere else on MFP-everybody is different. Accept it.
  • macattack99
    Options
    I've been doing a modified Leangains for about a month and I love it! My first meal isn't normally till between 12 and 2pm and it's done wonders compared to my normal "low carb" or "low cal" dieting!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I read the article, very interesting. I just don't undestand how it would work for someone who is insulin resistant. Insulin resistant people tend to dump sugars in the night waking with high blood sugar. Food is needed to counter this or the sugars can go even higher. On the other side, they go exercise and their sugars drop super low because they've burned what's in their system and there is nothing else for it to work on since there is no food in their system. This is at least how my body works and I am not diabetic or pre-diabetic.

I do wonder if I fasted for a couple of weeks if my body would have a different response in the morning or if it would make it worse.

Not sure what you mean by fasting for a couple of weeks? I would never suggest that nor would the author of the article.
  • ihateroses
    ihateroses Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    You know I'm not a breakfast person and I've recently started eating small "snacks" in the morning and noticed a HUGE change in my appetite.

Today I was ravenous by lunch time, and I had oatmeal this morning....this never happened when I just had my coffee.

Didn't make me gain weight, just hate being hungry for no reason. Definitely switching to my old ways.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I don't find it makes any difference to me if I eat breakfast or not.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    How does delaying breakfast not delay that insulin peak or actually reduce it. Oh, wait, not one of the referenced articles talks about that. Just stepping back to jump further into the pit.

The new broscience - make assumptions and reference them with articles that don't cover those assumptions.

ahhh...you didnt bother to read before attacking., He covers insulin in detail. but thanks for the attack

Don't be so defensive! I think the poster above has a valid point. His references do not directly support his claim that increased morning cortisol levels acutely agonize insulin release. This is his theory, which is fine, but he does seem to imply that he is getting this from a study, which I do not believe is the case, after looking at what he is actually referencing.

I'm also willing to discuss this in depth and from a neutral point of view, look at each of those referenced articles and see where they do or do not support such conclusions.
  • jjl0412
    jjl0412 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    bump
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I didn't find the article interesting enough to make me finish it. But then, for decades I've rarely eaten breakfast. It does make more hungry throughout the day, but I guess I just really don't care why. Also, I'm just not very hungry when I first get up. I usually don't feel hunger for several hours after waking and I think eating when not hungry is silly.
  • lolly2721
    lolly2721 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Interesting. I am going to have to go with my body signs though. If I don't eat a decent breakfast (this does not mean doughnuts and coffee) then I am wanting to eat everything but the bottoms of my shoes by 10 a.m. I think if someone has a healthy breakfast then there is nothing wrong with that. If skipping a meal works for someone then they can do that too. As long as there is no long term detriment to the way some "diet" or are changing the lifestyle of eating they have, then there is no problem.
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options

I don't think what he is saying applies to insulin resistant people. Not to say that delaying morning eating would or wouldn't be good for other reasons (I would talk to an endocrinologist about that), but the reasons he is proposing for the benefit of not eating breakfast have more to do with consequences of high insulin sensitivity coupled with high insulin release, so I don't think it would necessarily apply.