what NOT to say to your wife/gf when she's crying....

Options
Maryaly40
Maryaly40 Posts: 551 Member
Are you PMSing????? :noway: :noway: :noway:

Especially when you know damn well she no longer PMSes!!!!! Just a small rant. Had some nonsense go on at work yesterday, been struggling with my weight loss and really needed the hub lastnight for support and he failed me. Again. :sad:

Replies

• TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    "But I like something to hang on to" is always an interesting opening gambit here ...
  • _skittybang
    _skittybang Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    "You're ugly when you cry."

tumblr_m65y7kygmI1qbcrj1o2_400.giftumblr_m65y7kygmI1qbcrj1o4_400.pngtumblr_m65y7kygmI1qbcrj1o7_1280.png
    tumblr_m27bi7C3d51r6aoq4o1_500.gif

"Dude! I know I'm ugly when I cry - now I can't fkn stop!"
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: ((((HUGS)))))
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    That gif......whoa.
  • morganhccstudent724
    morganhccstudent724 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    Really babe?!?! Suck that sh!it up...:noway:
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Hey baby, hows bout a lil lovin'?
  • fcp1234
    fcp1234 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Big girls dont cry..
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    well, since you're already crying, lets try the back way...
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    For the record, I'm an expert in what NOT to say.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Step 1: Stop thinking that men are emotionally the same as women.
    Step 2: Try Step 1 again.
  • katamus
    katamus Posts: 2,363 Member
    Options
    "Stop crying."

Makes me angry, and makes me cry harder.
  • agriffiths73
    agriffiths73 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    You're fired!

Men are ****s, we just don't know what to say, period (no pun intended). Unless we have clear instructions on a chart that has a Yes and a No side, we're screwed...
  • tistal
    tistal Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I feel bad for men. They usually dont know what to say, stumble around their words and end up saying the wrong thing no matter what they say. I say dont be so sensitive. Men are men. We love them for who they are, not their ability to try to read our minds!
  • johnlatv
    johnlatv Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I feel bad for men. They usually dont know what to say, stumble around their words and end up saying the wrong thing no matter what they say. I say dont be so sensitive. Men are men. We love them for who they are, not their ability to try to read our minds!

Thank you :)
  • nbhobbes
    Options
    Oh come on there has to be something better/worse to say..

How about

"So I guess this is a good at time as any to tell you I don't think this relationship thing is working out."

Or

"Really, you want me to console you... That is SOOOO Co-dependant of you."
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 12,904 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear you're struggling.

May I ask what you've done to support your husband/boyfriend? Having been there and done that, I'm willing to bet your hubby feels this way: no matter what he said, he was going to be wrong as you've set him up for failure. Before the raging men-haters start roaring, take a moment and read...

In a perfect world, what does "support" look like to you? In other words, what would you like to have your husband do or say to support you? Have you ever relayed that information to your husband in terms that he can understand? If not, how is he supposed to know? If you cannot clearly articulate what "support" looks like to you, how is your SO supposed to know? Telepathy??

By what you've written here, you were emotional due to a series of upsetting situations. In all likelihood, he was not aware of those circumstances, nor did he have any input or control over them. He likely has his own stuff going on, the same as the rest of us, but you start dumping out your raw emotional energy and try explaining why you are upset and crying. Emotions aren't logical and, in most cases, talking about emotional situations comes across as rambling and often irrational.

Men tend to be analytical and we look for solutions. Unfortunately, those skills don't transfer easily to emotional situations. He ends up getting a ton of emotion in his lap. He is left feeling raw and confused, has no idea what you want from him and doesn't have the vocabulary to articulate how he feels so he ends up saying something insensitive.

Going forward, if you want a particular kind of support from your SO, tell him about it!
  • UncleMac
    Options
    I think I love you.
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I always help out my man friend. I'll go to him "Okay. I just need you to sit there, smile and nod and pad my back." Or I'll tell him "Just tell me I'm the prettiest girl in the world."....

It's not their fault they have a Y chromosome and can't compute womanese.
  • ihateroses
    ihateroses Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    Big girls don't cry :tongue:

haha but really....sometimes I'm the same way with ANybody crying...just kind of want to slowlllly back away from the awkward situation
  • UncleMac
    Options
    I always help out my man friend. I'll go to him "Okay. I just need you to sit there, smile and nod and pad my back." Or I'll tell him "Just tell me I'm the prettiest girl in the world."....

It's not their fault they have a Y chromosome and can't compute womanese.
    You ladies are giving me hope!