Why, thank you Bob Evan's....

Options

Replies

• DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    The OP is talking about social responsibility that corporations should have to some extent; this goes beyond harmful, fattening food, and it includes things like the environment (i.e. pollution) and socioeconomic (i.e. child labor) concerns. Health of consumers should be considered by corporations as a duty of social responsibility; for example consider tobacco, alcohol, and fast food chains. Sure, no one forces you to chain smoke and down a pound of french fries, but companies should assume some part of the responsibility in their offerings.

No one (person, corporation, or government) should have to take responsibility for the actions of adults.

Yeah? :huh:

If you're in marketing then you should know that no one can take the responsibility of another adults decision UNLESS said adult is deemed incompetent, in which case they have a trusted family member or aide that will make choices based on their needs and past favorite things. If you were to tell someone that THIS is all you get, you will have problems, especially if it's started somewhere where that's not common point.
  • 19kat55
    19kat55 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    The OP is talking about social responsibility that corporations should have to some extent; this goes beyond harmful, fattening food, and it includes things like the environment (i.e. pollution) and socioeconomic (i.e. child labor) concerns. Health of consumers should be considered by corporations as a duty of social responsibility; for example consider tobacco, alcohol, and fast food chains. Sure, no one forces you to chain smoke and down a pound of french fries, but companies should assume some part of the responsibility in their offerings.

Companies are in business to make money. And only that. Again, personal responsibility. It is not a company's moral obligation to ensure we eat right. Now I do agree with the pollution issue as we have no choice over that matter if they are polluting the air. But the health of the consumer reallly isn't their concern at all. They are in it to make money.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options

No one (person, corporation, or government) should have to take responsibility for the actions of adults.

If you're in marketing then you should know that no one can take the responsibility of another adults decision UNLESS said adult is deemed incompetent, in which case they have a trusted family member or aide that will make choices based on their needs and past favorite things. If you were to tell someone that THIS is all you get, you will have problems, especially if it's started somewhere where that's not common point.

..........:sick:
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    "Instead of forcing middle and high schoolers to get pelted with dodgeballs in P.E., why not educate them on nutrition? Have them be aware of how many calories are in a greasy McFatFat, and offer healthier alternatives? Maybe do a semester on learning how to cook simple, healthy meals?"

^^^^This would be awesome!! Start teaching them about healthy eating while they're young and perhaps they will make better food choices as adults (keyword being *perhaps*). Show them how many pounds they could gain by eating a burger and AYCE fries every day, once a week, or whatever versus a healthy version and serving size.
    [/quote]

They do, it's called HEALTH CLASS. Where did you people go to school?

I had a healthy cooking class in HS as well.....imagine that.
  • DoomCakes
    Options
    "Instead of forcing middle and high schoolers to get pelted with dodgeballs in P.E., why not educate them on nutrition? Have them be aware of how many calories are in a greasy McFatFat, and offer healthier alternatives? Maybe do a semester on learning how to cook simple, healthy meals?"

^^^^This would be awesome!! Start teaching them about healthy eating while they're young and perhaps they will make better food choices as adults (keyword being *perhaps*). Show them how many pounds they could gain by eating a burger and AYCE fries every day, once a week, or whatever versus a healthy version and serving size.
    [/quote]

OOO! The movie supersize me! That made me not even desire McDonald's! They do teach some nutrition in school, but it's just the "you should eat ___ twice a day" etc. But I love the idea of maybe home ec doing a semester of healthy, easy meals to prepare for the real world. Or even show the comparison of a burger has as many calories as ____. Maybe seeing that you can eat more calories and have more food that is better for your body they will think again.

But that's just about it. Educate the kids so when they get out they will make the better choices and not jump to a McDonald's for their dinner every night! I don't think enough people even know how to cook any more!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

OOO! The movie supersize me! That made me not even desire McDonald's! They do teach some nutrition in school, but it's just the "you should eat ___ twice a day" etc. But I love the idea of maybe home ec doing a semester of healthy, easy meals to prepare for the real world. Or even show the comparison of a burger has as many calories as ____. Maybe seeing that you can eat more calories and have more food that is better for your body they will think again.

But that's just about it. Educate the kids so when they get out they will make the better choices and not jump to a McDonald's for their dinner every night! I don't think enough people even know how to cook any more!
    [/quote]

Did no one go to a school with Health class? Wow.
  • DoomCakes
    Options

Did no one go to a school with Health class? Wow.
    [/quote]

Did you read me saying that I did? Granted, this was about... 10 years ago, but 10 years ago health class was about a food pyramid. And I never had a single day in home ec, so I can't tell you if they did or not not take time to teach healthy cooking. Only movie I ever saw in my school life that even made me question some foods was Concrete Jungle about the meat industry...
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    one time .... when big macs were 2 for $2 I ate 12 in a sitting
  • mary_kate23
    Options
    Because if there's anything this country needs, it's endless, all-you-can-eat french fries with a massively unhealthy hamburger.

Congrats on a great contribution to this country's ridiculous obesity problem. Whoever came up with this one is a total genius. :noway:

i agree. i think it's ridiculous. can't be banned though, because there will be too big an uproar! I avoid those places as well, because as we all know about choices, i don't make them well when i'm in that kind of environment. :)
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Not only did I have health class in high school, but we also learned about healthy eating in elementary school as well. And I also had parents that taught me about eating healthy, making my own choices, how to choose smart things for myself, to care about my own general well-being, and to take responsibility for my own actions.

When I moved out of my parents house for the first time I ate a ton of Taco Bell and McDonald's. I also drank a lot of Capri Sun since it was always on sale and usually had plenty of chips and cookies in the house to munch on because they were tasty and cheap.

For awhile I worked at a specialty food store with a full kitchen where we offered up hot and cold foods, a full sandwich counter and catering. I ate a ton of fried foods there and plenty of other foods that weren't bad foods, I just ate a lot of them since they were readily available.

Was it my parents fault that I ate at fast food places and ate mostly junk food when I moved out? Nope, all mine because I was too lazy to cook and was always looking for the cheap and easy way out.
    Was it Taco Bell or McDonald's fault that I always ate there? Not at all, they were simply the two closest places with drive-thrus near my first apartments.
    Was it the grocery stores fault for having sales on unhealthy food items? No, I just chose to buy them because I thought they were delicious, but I knew that I wasn't eating like I should, I just liked eating the junk food because again, cheap and easy.
    Was it the fault of the chef at the store for making the food that I ate while I was at work? Not at all. There were also really nice, fresh salads available in store, a produce market directly across from the store, different sauce and bread options I could have made on the sandwiches, etc. I just chose to eat what I wanted instead of what was better for me.

But guess what, I also made the choice to lose the weight and make myself a better version of me. I downloaded the MFP app and set out to work on fixing all the wrongs I had done to myself. I don't blame a single person or company for the weight I gained other than myself. Because I never needed to eat those things. I wasn't ever forced to consume that food. I chose what I ate, every single time.

I don't expect companies to take the blame for the fat that packed onto my body over the years. Because for all of the companies out there making food that's bad for us, there are companies that are making good food. Every time I went to the store and bought chips and cookies, there were fruits and veggies just a few aisles down. Every time I chose the arancini and fried chicken fingers out of the case at work, there were spinach salads and grilled salmon right next to it. Each time I opted to stop at McDonald's or Taco Bell, I could have made my own food, chosen a salad or lighter option from their menu, or even just chosen to not order enough food to feed a small family. But I didn't, not until I joined MFP.

Those were MY choices. Me being fat was MY fault. I'm an adult, I am the one that made it happen. But I'm also the one that decided to make the change and stop doing those things. And that is what it ultimately comes down to.
  • IrishHarpy1
    IrishHarpy1 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Wow I thought we were all here to support each other. Some of these comments are pretty rude. The poster was trying to say that it should be everyone responsibility to eat and live well. I believe we all know it's about choices. Some people have a harder time than others. I'm just really shocked at a lot of the mean responses.

I think posters like the OP generate the "mean responses" by riding into these forums on their high horses and looking condescendingly down on others. I love the whole moral indignation of the originators of posts like these... like they have NO blame for why they now need to lose weight/get in shape/etc. It is a sad commentary on the state of this country that no one wants to deal with personal accountability for ANYthing. Why should they when it is so much easier to blame others?

It is everyone's *choice* (not responsibility) to eat and live well - but last time I checked people in this country are still able to make that choice on their own. If someone walks into a restaurant like this -- and you can be darned sure they're not going there to eat healthy things to begin with -- and orders basket after basket of fries, it's their OWN lack of willpower that will cause them grief.
  • nickscutie
    nickscutie Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    If you have posted here and are of the opinion that corporations have no responsibility for the products that they put out (because they are only in business to make money and that is all they should have to worry about), then do you also believe that big tobacco should be allowed to advertise when and wherever they want, including to children, and there should no age restrictions on purchasing cigarettes, or warning labels on their products?

To me, these two issues seem very similar at heart.
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    yep, this thread just went WAAYYYY over the heads of many. :smh:
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    If you have posted here and are of the opinion that corporations have no responsibility for the products that they put out (because they are only in business to make money and that is all they should have to worry about), then do you also believe that big tobacco should be allowed to advertise when and wherever they want, including to children, and there should no age restrictions on purchasing cigarettes, or warning labels on their products?

They are not very similar. On one side, you have food. On the other side, you have poison.

Besides, the tobacco companies haven't taken any responsibility for any of those things. Left to their own devices, they intentionally target children with advertising. Ad restriction, age limits, and warning labels were forced on the tobacco companies by LAW, they didn't have any kind of responsible ideas about these things. In fact, they spent decades fighting these restrictions in court, including intentionally lying about the danger of the product.

I fail to see how they are similar at all.
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I've eaten at Bob Evans once. I was on a road trip and didn't know what it was. The taste if their food is reason enough not to eat there.

I do go to Red Robin once in a great while and if I get fries, I don't get a refill.
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    IMO, I think a bigger contribution to America's obesity problem is the lack of education the masses seem to have on nutrition. I am pushing 30 years old, and am JUST STARTING to get it. And I ask myself WHY? I was never a stupid kid, and got ok grades: why have I never grasped the concepts of calorie deficits/exercise? Because nobody ever taught me, and I had to gain a ridiculous amount of weight before I learned it the hard way!

Instead of forcing middle and high schoolers to get pelted with dodgeballs in P.E., why not educate them on nutrition? Have them be aware of how many calories are in a greasy McFatFat, and offer healthier alternatives? Maybe do a semester on learning how to cook simple, healthy meals?

Oh my - yes please! How much better would it be to teach these important concepts in PE instead of just telling the kids to run laps?

Phy Ed is Phy Ed.....Did no one have HEALTH in Middle or High school. That's where we covered nutrition. Always the school's fault though, never at home....

Actually no, I never did have Health in middle or high school. A lot of schools don't offer it, or make it mandatory, which really sucks. And homes are just as responsible for educating kids as schools, don't get me wrong. What I'm saying is, a lot of parents don't educate on nutrition, because they don't know themselves. A good way to fix this is educate kids at school, so we can break the vicious cycle.
  • skonly
    skonly Posts: 371
    Options
    I sometimes dream that I have a building just like Scrooge Mcducks gold building where he swims. Except instead of gold, it has french fries in it. I think it would hurt less to jump into a sea of fries than a sea of pure, solid gold.

Kids, remember. French fries > gold

Family Guy had Peter dive into the gold and he got all cut up and bruised and he was like "gold coins aren't soft" while he was crying. So french fries would hurt less, but the oil would burn.

lol.
  • fatmom51
    fatmom51 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    IMO, I think a bigger contribution to America's obesity problem is the lack of education the masses seem to have on nutrition. I am pushing 30 years old, and am JUST STARTING to get it. And I ask myself WHY? I was never a stupid kid, and got ok grades: why have I never grasped the concepts of calorie deficits/exercise? Because nobody ever taught me, and I had to gain a ridiculous amount of weight before I learned it the hard way!

Instead of forcing middle and high schoolers to get pelted with dodgeballs in P.E., why not educate them on nutrition? Have them be aware of how many calories are in a greasy McFatFat, and offer healthier alternatives? Maybe do a semester on learning how to cook simple, healthy meals?

Oh my - yes please! How much better would it be to teach these important concepts in PE instead of just telling the kids to run laps?

Phy Ed is Phy Ed.....Did no one have HEALTH in Middle or High school. That's where we covered nutrition. Always the school's fault though, never at home....

Actually no, I never did have Health in middle or high school. A lot of schools don't offer it, or make it mandatory, which really sucks. And homes are just as responsible for educating kids as schools, don't get me wrong. What I'm saying is, a lot of parents don't educate on nutrition, because they don't know themselves. A good way to fix this is educate kids at school, so we can break the vicious cycle.

I don't know that it's a lack of education. Schools have been educating kids for years about nutrition, health, drugs, alcohol, smoking, etc. Yet, still I see kids eating unhealthy foods, buying 44-oz. Big Gulps they bought at the local 7-11, smoking on street corners, drinking and getting into serious/fatal car crashes, doing drugs, etc.
    The problem is way bigger -- some schools are cutting phys. ed. and recess, people are working longer hours, commuting more; kids are playing outside less (sports are organized/specialized and you can't just go to a park -- not safe -- to engage in pick-up games, computers, video games, etc., People are more sedentary, more tired, less likely to work out. "Bad" foods are made and sold more cheaply, so people buy them; healthy foods can cost more. As people get busier, and even kids are overscheduled, they sometimes turn to processed foods or go through drive-thrus instead of making meals from scratch.
    For the most part, I agree that restaurants don't have to offer free refills on things like fries, but I don't think they should be vilified for that. The people who are accepting the free refills likely aren't making healthy choices in other areas of their lives, either, and the fries are just going to be another ***** in the wall.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options

Age restrictions yes, I agree with those. Warning labels---maybe. Advertising--I think they should be able to advertise wherever they want to, as long as the advertising isn't focused at those people below the minimum age.

Businesses shouldn't be responsible for adults poor choices.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options

Yes. Why, do you want to be responsible for my actions?