At what age/point in your life did you meet your SO?

Options

Replies

• aqm22
    aqm22 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I hear all the time about how "it happens when you're not looking!"... the thing is, I live in an incredibly small town. There's no one to run in to even when you've got your eyes closed.

That's because you're still looking =)

I'm sorry, though. It must be tough. Just enjoy your life the way it is. I'm sure you heard that a million times too, but seriously, just enjoy your life the way it is. Some things will bound to happen. It's always unexpected.

I've been running from guys since I was 13. No kids. No husband. No prince charming. This girl is an independent girl. No chain was going to bind this girl down. At 20, some conniving guy charmed his way to an engagement. Two years later, we were married. I still wonder how that happened. Still, couldn't love him more.
  • witchiipooh
    witchiipooh Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I met my husband when I was 18 (I am now 25) I had just got out of high school. We've been married 4 years as of yesterday :)
  • 17ChargerGirl17
    Options
    I am a divorced mother of 5. And I met my true love a year ago.
    And, no, I was not looking either. He is an amazing man and he loves me and my children and wants nothing more than to make us happy. I never thought that I would love anyone as much as I loved my ex, but boy was I wrong....
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Met at 26 and married at 27. We went to high school together but never knew each other existed. My best friend from high school is married to his best friend from high school. They thought we'd be a good match so they set us up. Good call! :love:
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Widowed at age 40, and met SO at age 44. Never thought I'd meet anyone else, but one never knows what's around the corner...or who's in the bookstore!
  • kissedbytheocean
    kissedbytheocean Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I met my fiancé in a Tom Green chatroom, of all places, when we were 19. He had a familiar username, so I decided to message him to see if I knew him. At first, I didn't like him. He seemed arrogant and a little pompous, so we lost contact after awhile. We continued to get in touch and then lose contact for a few years until we decided we really did love each other and wanted to be together. He came to visit me last year for the first time and ended up proposing on New Years Eve. We've been together for almost 2 years now.
  • dandaninc
    Options
    We were both 32. Both of us had an ex husband/wife. I have known who she is since high school and finally had the confidence to ask her out on a date. We were married 6 months later.
  • sz8soon
    sz8soon Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I was 15- sophmore in high school. 17 years now- damn that makes me feel old! small window of "oat sowing" when I was 19 other than that we've been together the entire time
  • NinjaBeth90
    Options
    We first met when i was 17 but she was with someone - we met a year later in the same place, this time she was single. Within a week or so we where together and have been together since - 3 years 4 months later and shes the best thing that has ever happened to me :)
  • lisahale
    Options
    Well I met mine when I was about 15 in a little small town we used to run around in ... he had a gf and I was NOT interested anyway.. years went by and I visited my aunt one day and he was there , asked me to dinner, I declined nicely was still NOT interested ... was a little on the wild side and doing my own thing. Then about a year later after blowing him off I decided to go out with him . We dated for years, then he proposed and we got married . We have now been together going on 11 years. He is honestly one of the most caring, sweetest man ever. So now we are working on expanding our family!!! :)):heart:
  • RealWomenLovePitbulls
    Options
    I met mine in 2005, I was 17 and he was 19 and we worked together at Domino's Pizza.
    2 years later, his dad (who lived 2200 miles away) got pretty sick and he moved out there to be closer to his dad, we decided that we would have to break up because the distance was too far.
    then, we decided that we couldnt live without each other (dramatic, right) so i ended up moving across the country to be with him.
    another 2 years and we got engaged, a few months after that we decided to move back to Ohio (where we came from)
    Then June 2011, we got married. Now, we've bought a house and got a dog.... and probably in the next year or so we will be trying to start a family! I am now 25 and he is almost 27
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    I met my husband online, and sooo happy I gave it a shot!
  • Linda_Darlene
    Linda_Darlene Posts: 453 Member
    Options
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Met my first husband when I was in my late twenties. He turned out to be an abuser. :-/

Met my second and final husband at age 45. He is an absolute keeper.
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I was 32 he was 30...I know..cradle robber. Next May will be 9 years!
  • emmy3111
    emmy3111 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I am a divorced mother of 5. And I met my true love a year ago.
    And, no, I was not looking either. He is an amazing man and he loves me and my children and wants nothing more than to make us happy. I never thought that I would love anyone as much as I loved my ex, but boy was I wrong....

that's awesome... how did you meet?
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I met my husband when I was 18, we became best friends for 2 years, then realized we were deeply in love and started dating, got married two years after that. Been happy for over 12 years of marriage. We have 2 kids. There was another whole thread about this recently, if you search, you can read all the stories.
  • EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    We started dating a week after my 33rd birthday. He was 35. We'd been friends for a year before we started dating.

I spent my 20s dating a bunch of losers, so I was taking a break from dating. I was single for a few years and really liked it, so I kind of fought the idea of dating him. He was the same way (he hadn't dated anyone in about eleven years).

Eventually, we realized it was pointless to fight our attraction to each other. I think having that space and time away from dating (plus more maturity) helped us figure out who/what we truly wanted in a partner.

He lived in Albuquerque (we met on World of Warcraft), so I went to visit him for a few days. There was no pressure. We were friends, regardless, and I'd never been to Albuquerque, so he said if it didn't work out, at least I got a cool vacation out of it. :) We did hit it off, obviously, and we maintained a long-distance relationship for a year and a half. He moved here in June 2011.

We talk about marriage, but not in a rushed way, more of a "some day" thing. I'm ready, but I know he wants to wait a bit longer. That's fine with me. I don't want to be a fat bride. Strapless dresses and bingo wings don't mix well. ;)
  • carriempls
    carriempls Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Met my bf two and a half years ago. I was 34 then, 37 now. We're not yet engaged, but we will be soon (we've already talked about it extensively).

He's my first significant boyfriend since I was 18. I've dated some here and there and even fell in love a while back but it was long distance and didn't work out. In my 20's I had no desire to get married. By the time I reached 30, I realized it was something I wanted but didn't think I'd ever find. I hated dating and almost never met men I was interested in. So I happily planned my life alone and thought it would always be that way.

Lo and behold, we met at a friend's bday party. At some point in the evening I ended up spending the rest of the night talking to him. I invited folks back to my place for an after party and he and I and the birthday girl ended up talking till the sun came up. Later that day I befriended him on facebook and within an hour he sent me a message with 2 email addresses, a phone number and an invitation for coffee. And we've been together ever since.
  • OkieinMinny
    OkieinMinny Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I met mine at my BFs wedding (she's on here and I tell her I blame her for my life!)

I had been stood up by the guy I was dating, so I went to the wedding alone (HATING dudes that day and was NOT going to date anyone for a long time) and went to the after party where I kicked in a door with tequila in one hand and said "who's ready to go?" - he wanted to know who the loud/obnoxious drunk girl was - he went home with me and NEVER left :drinker:

I was 24 he was 26 we have been married almost 16 years!

It happens when you least expect it!