At what age/point in your life did you meet your SO?

Replies

• justlistening
    justlistening Posts: 249 Member
    My first marriage: met at 16, married at 26, divorced at 39. I'm still upset for getting dumped for a twenty year old...

My last marriage: met at 42, married at 45... I never expected or wanted to get married again, but we are awesome together! Btw. he was 47 when we met. Neither or us were looking but met while rock climbing and just hit it off.
  • bongbunny
    bongbunny Posts: 37 Member
    I met my husband junior year of high school. At the time, my friend was interested in him and I was dating someone else. I tried hooking him up with the friend, but his sights were on me....we were dating within a few months, married 7 years later, and together now for 22. [mushy mode on] I feel lucky (very!) that we've grown up and grown together all these years. He's my best friend. [mushy mode off]
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    I was 18 and he was 22. Met him at DeVry in Chicago. He was my faculty assistant but he likes to say he was my teacher! :laugh:
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    We met about a month after I graduated from high school. One of my friend was dating his brother.

I was engaged 3 months later and we got married about a year and a half after this. This Feb. will be our 8th anniversary.

Zero regrets, he's a FANTASTIC guy, a great dad and we have a lot of fun. I'm glad things panned out the way that they did for us.

However, if my child came to me at 18 and said they were engaged, I'd murder them!!! lol. It's hard to grow up with someone else.
  • jenillawafer
    jenillawafer Posts: 426 Member
    I seriously met mine on the internet! I was 18 and he was 19, separated by over 2,000 miles. Interestingly enough, we decided to meet face to face five years ago and it was the best decision either of us have ever made. We'll be getting married by the end of next year and I'm really excited.
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    I am a divorced mom of 2 kids, and lately I find myself wondering if I truly can/will ever meet someone new that will be right for me...

so, I want to see it's possible... tell me your story.
    I met my first wife at 17. Divorced at 24.
    I met my second one when I was 28. We are still married.
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    We met when I was 23 and got married when I was 36.
  • freckledrats
    freckledrats Posts: 251 Member
    I was a 27-year-old divorcee. I met him at a party thrown by a friend I met on a dating site.

Dating sites are more than just ways to date guys. It's also a good social circle expansion tool. I was pretty much a shut-in before OkCupid
  • alliwithaneye
    alliwithaneye Posts: 163 Member
    We met on this little site called Myspace in 2005 when I was 20, he was 25 :laugh:
    I was casually dating another guy and had just gotten home from a "Date" when he sent me a message through AOL. He was bored at his friends house so he started looking for people near his area and my red hair and name (he loves the name allison) caught his attention. Luckily he was bored otherwise he would have never found me ^_^ He lived 2 hours away and came to meet me at my house that weekend, we immediately clicked with all our nerdiness and spent the whole night watching star wars and talking! It turns out he actually had an uncle that lives in my town whom my family had been friends with since I was a baby but we never knew he had a nephew :happy: On our 1 year anniversary in 2006 he took me to Myrtle Beach, SC for a vacation and proposed to me, we got married in 07. We will be celebrating our 5 year wedding anniversary the 22nd :love:
  • sds76
    sds76 Posts: 215 Member
    We met when we were16 at our first job(Long John Silvers), started dating on my 17th birthday. This November we will be together 19years and married 16 years with 5 amazing children.
  • emmy3111
    emmy3111 Posts: 482 Member
    some of these stories are so sweet :)
  • I met my husband just as soon as I stopped looking. In fact, I was 24, had just left a REALLY bad relationship (like restraining order bad), and was so disgruntled that I was convinced I was done with even trying to date, period, for a good long time. Then I met him. Tried to be "just friends", but that didn't last long. We've been together almost 15 years now, and he's everything my ex was not.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,184 Member
    I met mine in 11/2005 when I was 42. I had quit looking for a relationship, but was still in the market for "fun" dates. I was listed on a singles site and make it very clear that I wasn't looking for Mr. Right, but Mr. Atthemoment. I was working a high stress job about 75 hours a week and just wanted the occasional stress relieving date without the relationship baggage. At first I declined to meet him because he was 7 years younger than I was. We chatted about general topics for months online. I got a suprise weekend off and had no plans so agreed to meet him for dinner. That was all she wrote. We bought a house together 2/2007 and are still BFFs.
  • We met online, through an online game we played. We were 21 when we first met online. We were 22 when we met in person and we became friends. Went back and forth with being in contact with one another. Until last year right after my 28 birthday we started dating. We have been together 18 months and have a beautiful 6 month old daughter. He is the love of my life, though he knew it before I did.
  • My story probably doesn't help you much :) We were 15 and in highschool, we've been together for over 6 years married for a year.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    I was only 23, but I felt hopeless already. I didn't meet him in the mind that we should date. We started as casual friends and just continued to get to know one another better and better through online gaming. Next month is our 5 year anniversary (of dating, not married)
  • geonbaeLeilee
    geonbaeLeilee Posts: 606 Member
    I met mine at 18. We had a philosophy class together. Then we kept running into each other. Throw in a stalker ex, an explosive ending (it's a VERY long story!), and my SO and I are 27 and 26 and very happy. :)
  • AmyBecky74
    AmyBecky74 Posts: 437 Member
    I'm 38 and still waiting :ohwell:
  • I was 18 and really drunk.

haha! This is the same with me! Met at a party at the end of my first week of university. He offered to buy me a drink and I turned him down because I didn't need anymore :laugh:
    Edit to add: We just got married this July, nearly 8 years later :)
  • piinchi
    piinchi Posts: 172 Member
    I was 28 and had just suffered a major loss in my family. I was actually seeing someone else, but due to several factors that did not work out. My fiance and I started off just as friends, and after I began coming out of the "grief haze" I had been feeling, and a soul-cleansing trip to Europe, I came back and began talking with him more and more. We became romantically involved a few months later, and got engaged last year. We've been together 4 and a half years, and I've never been so grateful and happy and in love as I am right now. He's my best friend and there's nothing better than spending every day with your best friend!