Poll: Overly Nice People

Options

Replies

• Jimmytreatingtons
    Jimmytreatingtons Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I'd go

A. Cautious, and curious as to what scam they are trying to pull

Be nice to think like B but we do not live in a nice world.

I'm a people watcher, one of my favourite pass times and it's frightening what you see out there!
  • Crystaleyed
    Crystaleyed Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    D mainly but sometimes A.
    I wish I wasn't it would be brilliant to just trust people who are nice but the world is far from perfect.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    When a complete stranger, either online or in real life, approaches you, unsolicited, and is overly nice to you, for no apparent reason, are you:

B. Delighted, that the world is full of such super-dee-duper nice people

C. Annoyed, because overly happy people are clearly annoying

D. Fearful, because they're setting you up for an assault and are very likely a carrier of multiple diseases
    This would clearly depend on our own understanding of what 'overly nice' means. Overly nice to me is not a negative thing, certainly not someone out to get me.

It appears from your choices and your words you feel 'overly nice' means something dark and dangerous, sinister. To me it would show your mistrust in people in general rather than an issue with the other person. I would not see that as a flaw within the other person but perhaps in what happened in your past to make you so distrustful and paranoid.

"for no apparent reason" What exactly does that term mean to you? How would you know their reason? If we all walk around in the world distrusting everyone, what a sad world it would be.

I'm glad ppl like you are in the minority, I wouldn't want to live in a world of gorillas, I much prefer living in a trusting environment.
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    It appears from your choices and your words you feel 'overly nice' means something dark and dangerous, sinister. To me it would show your mistrust in people in general rather than an issue with the other person. I would not see that as a flaw within the other person but perhaps in what happened in your past to make you so distrustful and paranoid.

"for no apparent reason" What exactly does that term mean to you? How would you know their reason? If we all walk around in the world distrusting everyone, what a sad world it would be.

I'm glad ppl like you are in the minority, I wouldn't want to live in a world of gorillas, I much prefer living in a trusting environment.
    This. Well said.
  • purpleblaze
    Options
    B.. the is filled with a holes you know, they are everywhere!...its nice to be around nice people :)
  • CassiusKnox
    CassiusKnox Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Why would someone being nice to you solicit 3 really negative responces from you or 1 positive yet cynical response??
    Why so negative? <<< serious question.
    And...
    I was about to say the same thing. After seeing this and seeing the responses from everyone, I'll try to be less nice now. It's funny though how when you seem less nice, you get nicer reactions from people you talk to like, store clerks, customers or just random people. When you're being genuinely nice though you're looked down upon.
    See this string...
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/733633-the-science-behind-nice-people

I think you have a very sad view of the world. Oh I understand that it's a 'reasoned' view and that you think you have an intellectual basis for it but it's still sad. But you know.... whatever!?!? If it 'floats your boat'... Gets you by...

Personally I prefer to hang 'nice' people. Positive people. People who think the best first and the worst only when they have to. Not the worst first and the best when someone 'proves themselves'.

I guess my invitaion to your barbecue just got withdrawn.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    When a complete stranger, either online or in real life, approaches you, unsolicited, and is overly nice to you, for no apparent reason, are you:

D. Fearful, because they're setting you up for an assault and are very likely a carrier of multiple diseases
    This would clearly depend on our own understanding of what 'overly nice' means. Overly nice to me is not a negative thing, certainly not someone out to get me.

Well said. I would also add that an anonymous site like this would give me a feeling of security. A random stranger approaching me at my home would feel way scarier.
  • deaddivya
    Options
    Mostly C. Happy, nice people are incredibly annoying.
  • elcyclista
    Options
    That makes sense that niceness is usually for something in return and true altruism may not exist.

But what about simple common courtesy? You might leave a door open, say thanks, excuse me and not really expect anything in return. At least I don't. I don't mind if someone doesn't open a door for me, doesn't say thanks, etc. being courteous can be seen as being nice, right?

I don't think we are as instinctive. We are naturally a bit more humanistic than that.
  • _VoV
    Options
    On a cold November day in pre-cell phone days, I had a flat-tire with my infant daughter in the car. One guy slowed up and asked me if this was a set-up with someone ready to pounce on him from the woods on the side of the road. I said 'no' but he still drove off. A woman drove up, and offered to shelter my 3-month-old in her car while I changed the tire. I vetoed that one, due to trust issues. Eventually, an older woman came by and drove me and my infant home.

I actually understood why people were suspicious of my circumstances. 'Overly nice' is a relative term, and very dependent on the situation, and the vibes it gives off.
  • melpop8
    melpop8 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    A when I'm surfing the internet.
    B when I'm on MFP.
    C when I'm out in public.
    D when I'm in a bar.

Spot on!
  • dogacreek
    dogacreek Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    A & C. Overly nice usually irritate me. Super sweet or cutesy people are fakers in my book. :grumble:
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I'm either A or B depending on the way they are overly nice. Like, if they look deranged, uuuhhhhh no. But if they have a genuine smile I'll probably be happy and nice right back!
  • emmalouc93
    emmalouc93 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    C
  • fitpilatesqueen
    Options
    B! I'm an overly nice person and I don't mind being overly-niced back. :)
    Same here.
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I waiver between B and C. I'm in Canada so most people are overly nice and polite - I'm guilty of this too. However, some days it really annoys the crap out of me and I just want to karate chopping the smile off of their faces.
  • _VoV
    Options
    A & C. Overly nice usually irritate me. Super sweet or cutesy people are fakers in my book. :grumble:

Salesmen are taught to mirror the style of the person they are trying to sell to. So a naturally cheerful, gregarious salesman would know to match your no-nonsense style. A sociopath might know that too.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    I never can answer multiiple choice "personality" type test questions.

They stump me for hours.
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options

I'll admit, i'm a little jaded sooooo A for the most part with a mixture of C... C only because i've found that overly happy people aren't really that happy at all.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    B. I'm also an overly nice person and I love it when I meet my own kind. :)

NOW if they ask me for ANYTHING, that's when my radars will go up.