Tell me all about your animals

Options
123457»

Replies

• AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I have 2 dogs.

The first is a Golden Retriever / Corgi mix. Her name is Eve. We got her from a no-kill shelter 2 years ago (this month). She was 6 months old at the time. She was brought into the animal shelter at 4-months. Before that, we don't know what happened to her... but, we are pretty sure she was abused. She is very submissive, and will pee over everything when you come at her too quick (or with a leash). We are trying to work on that -- but, so far no luck. She is so lovable, though. She loves everyone... especially kids. She won't stay in our lap too long... but, she does love to get in our lap for a little while. She absolutely loves to give kisses. And she loves to play with her younger sister -- Ellie Mae.

Ellie Mae is a Chihuahua / Jack Russel Mix. She was 5 months old when we rescued her from Ringold, Georgia last May (2011) after the tornadoes. She is such a sweet girl... but, she has such an attitude. She likes to pretend she doesn't like to be hugged tightly (and she will growl); but, the growling is so weak -- and she eventually starts yawning. If you go to put her down, she'll start clawing at you to pick her back up. LOL. It's quite funny to watch. She also loves her big sister, Eve. She will grab on to Eve's neck quite often. Surprisingly, Eve seems to love it. She won't ever bite back... and will usually roll over and allow Ellie Mae to chew on her -- even though Eve could probably crush Ellie Mae with one paw. Like Eve, though, Ellie Mae is very good with children... and actually calms down if any are around.

We had 1 other dog, Tiki. Unfortunatly, though, she died in August. She was only 4 years old... and we had only had her for 4 months. She was a "teacup" Chihuahua. She was also full of attitude... and even though she was the smallest (at only 3 pounds), she would not be picked on by her sisters. She let them know she was boss. LOL.
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    I watched her on petfinder for a long time. She is what is called a double dapple. Darn breeders trying to get a certain look even though they know the possibility of genetic problems like blind/deaf is high. anyway, she needed a home and I promised my hubby I wouldn't ask for another baby if we got her :)

Have you taught Blue hand signals?

Funny, I was keeping an eye on mine on a shelter website as well. She had been there a LONG time, and I actually just went to visit and play with her so she wouldn't be so lonely. Of course, I had to adopt her as soon as I saw her. I'm a softie. :)

I've taught her just basics - sit, lay down, stay, come, shake, "go for a walk", happy, and angry. :) I stomp on the floor to get her attention and also flicker the lights to get her to come if she is within range to see it.

It's fun to sneak up on her when I get home from work or something. :)
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    3 dogs
    2 snakes
    1 cat

Snake is featured in profile pic and another pic in my gallery!

I could write a LOT about my little babies. But I gotta get some work done :wink:
  • 1 Cat- Twit - Diabetic and trouble maker. This cat gets into EVERYTHING, and blames the dog. But he's super cuddly and very good with everyone.

2. Dog - Retired Racer Greyhound - Mary - Miss Mary as we call her, this dog naps more than the cat does. She's so sweet though, as most Greys are. Typically you can find her sunning herself by the glass door, or "cockroaching" at the foot of the stairs. :wink:
  • Salamanda425
    Options
    YAY! I'm a huge animal lover... The ongoing joke in my office is that I can watch a 'Feed the Children' commercial and it does nothing for me... but as soon as I hear the song from the ASPCA commercial - I run out of the room crying. Sad, but true.

That ASPCA song/commerical kills me!!!!
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    We have a chocolate tabby (mackerel pattern) named Freyja. She's about 2 years old and we adopted her this summer. Don't have much history on her except that I *think* she was probably feral before she wound up in the shelter. The way her adjustment has been, I wouldn't be surprised to learn we were her first human family and home. She's turning into a very fine pet, but there were a few weeks early on when I wondered if we might have to take her back. Fortunately, we're both learning from each other how to get along.
  • Lillyrose125
    Lillyrose125 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have always been an avid animal lover. I can't have cats because I'm allergic but have always had dogs. Always brought home strays when I was a kid and then I moved to the Aleution Islands after high school. I met and fell in love with a Siberian Husky pup and I grabbed her and named her BoBo. They were running all over the Island. She moved with me to Anchorage, to Seattle, to Minneapolis, and back to Montana. She was my best friend in the whole world. When I got married, my husband was nice to my dog but wasn't a big dog lover. It was never a big issue for me because he knew "love me, love my dog." She lived to be 15 years old and died on Christmas Eve in 1995. At that point my husband said to go to the book store and find a book on dogs and to get an indoor lap dog which is what he thought I needed more. I did and found Miniature Schnauzers to be the best dogs for our lifestyle.

Because they are overbred, we have to be careful and so I found some good breeders. We started with one, Jimme, and the next day we called to see if we could get his sister. She was already taken so we found another breeder and got Jasper a few months later. We called them the "boys" and they changed our lives forever. We can't remember what our lives were like before we had them. Unfortunately, we lost both of them early to liver or cancer problems: Jasper at 8 years and Jimme at 10 years. It about killed me. Really. During that time, my boss went to an auction for a school and they were auctioning off a female Schnauzer that a family could no longer keep as they had all boys and they were too rough with her. She was about 6 months old. He got her for me and she was alittle pistol. What a personality. We still have her and I named her LeeLee. She is now 10 years old.

We also have Mikey who just turned 8 years old. We would love to have another one, but my mom may come live with us and she has two more Minis named Bear and Joey.

I would love to have a bird, but we aren't home enough and I love fish, but I seem to kill them all and we use to keep pet frogs (the ones that swim and ones right out of our yard) but it is too sad when they die.

I can't be friends with anyone who is an animal hater. They aren't good people in my book!
  • Lillyrose125
    Lillyrose125 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    YAY! I'm a huge animal lover... The ongoing joke in my office is that I can watch a 'Feed the Children' commercial and it does nothing for me... but as soon as I hear the song from the ASPCA commercial - I run out of the room crying. Sad, but true.

That ASPCA song/commerical kills me!!!!

OMG! Me too! I can't turn the channel fast enough! Even the music is a killer for me!
  • MsP90X
    MsP90X Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    My animals include:

Two horses, a black lab and a ball python... I love em all!
  • msmindylee
    Options
    I have two dogs, two cats, five goats, and three chickens.

Two of the chickens are Blue Wyandotte, a very pretty and somewhat rare breed. It means very little to us (or to them, for that matter), just a point of conversation. Their names are Yolko and Souffle. The third chicken is named Holly (short for Hollandaise) and she's a Rhode Island Red.

The goats are Bob, Ray, Mango, Willow, and Xander. Bob and Ray are pygmies, getting pretty ancient in pygmy terms (12-13 years old now), and they're wethers (neutered). Mango is a neutered Oberhasli (a Swiss dairy goat breed). He's very friendly. Willow is a "mutt," part Kiko, part Boer, and part Nubian. And Xander is probably mostly Oberhasli, and also very friendly. The two pygmies weigh about 50-60 lbs, Mango and Xander weigh about 150 each, and Willow - because she has meat goat bloodlines - is probably around 170 lbs.

Cats are Stella and Kaylee. Stella is a long-haired black glamourpuss - except that she prefers to live outdoors so she is generally sort of a hot mess. When she hangs around long enough to get cleaned up and combed out, she's quite lovely. That happens maybe twice a year. For five minutes. Kaylee is a tabby, mostly indoors, and quite feisty and willful, and occasionally charming.

Ruth is a "Pointador" - half black Lab, half German Shorthair Pointer. She is an amazing girl, will be 13 years old in January and still loves to run, swim, dock-dive, and "pogo" when it's time for her nightly milkbone treat. We've had her since she was about 7 months old and love her to pieces.

The dog of my heart is Emma, a Golden Retriever who will turn 8 years old this week. She came home with us when she was 8 weeks old and she's my best friend (other than my hubby). She's on the petite side, weighs about 50 lbs., and she's a lovely blonde. Her favorite thing to do is smile at people and have them smile back.
  • cazwillis99
    cazwillis99 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I am a cat lover but no longer have any cats - my tom cat Rinky - short haired black & white died aged 17 about 4 years ago and my lady cat, Lady, delicate little tortie died last year aged 19. Miss them both hugely but made the decision not to get any more cats,

I now have 2 house bunnies, 1 by choice 1 by adoption:

Pebbles aka Bunny girl, aka Missy was a choice bunny, she is grey and white and does not like being cuddled but loves my hubby to bits, she is a tiny little rabbit compared to...

Mocha, aka Bunny boy - he was found when he was a baby on a golf course and ended up at our house!! He is huge - bigger than a cat - he is a huge softy but difficult to pick up because he is so big. If you stroke bunny girl he comes up and shoves his nose in the way so that you'll stroke him instead.

This weekend they moved into one cage together - previously lived in 2 cages in my kitchen but were always cuddling up together in one cage anyway so we bought them one double decker cage to share - only problem is they won't go upstairs!!!

Love this thread, so nice to read all the heartwarming stories about people and their pets :-)
  • Tracepa98
    Options
    Ive had 2 cats in the past and they are both gone now due to old age and/or cancer. Had them for close to 10-12 years.

Its been 3 months since my last one passed and Ive found myself rescuing an abandoned kitty. He is white and orange, and not sure how old. But I will know more once he goes to the vet this week to get fixed.

Ive named him Loki. So far he is the most chill and relaxed kitty Ive ever known. Has the cutest meow and loves affection.

376645_4647867958876_1112277769_n.jpg

558530_4629489579428_2003550207_n.jpg
  • jensauce
    jensauce Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    i have two rescue dogs.

the first one is named bella, she's a vizsla/english pointer mix and she turns 4 in november. she is very sweet, you can tell she just wants to make you happy. the only thing is that she is so excitable, she jumps up when guests come over, then runs around the house like a psycho. i've tried so many different ways to get her to stop doing this, but nothing seems to work. i've becomed resigned to it, because i realize as she ages she will (most likelye) no longer do this. the only problem i have with it is that she doesn't really gauge it well...she jumps on EVERYONE, whether it be a 3 year old (who gets knocked over and i feel like an @ss hat), or if it's a 6'4" 250lb guy. the good thing is, her excitement only lasts a few minutes, and after that she is a gentle, docile dog who just wants hugs and loves. she came from an abusive home and was SEVERELY malnourished. now she is so happy, she doesn't shy away when you make sudden movements or try to pet her (it's as if she doesn't even remember her abused past), and she is at a perfectly healthy weight...it took me a long time to get her there, but i'm so pleased that she's where she is right now. =)

my second dog is a chihuahua named dolly. she just turned 11 in august (suuuper old, but chihuahuas live a long time). i actually rescued her from my dad and stepmom. my stepmom got dolly originally, and she is a sweet lady who would never hurt dolly, but she is afraid of dolly, because dolly HATES absolutely everybody but me (don't ask me why, but i seem to have a gift with dogs...even "dangerous" or "frightening" dogs LOVE me. i have no fear of them, regardless of size or reputation, and i think that's what makes the difference). if anyone comes near me (or her!), she starts growling. i needed to rescue her from my dad's home because my dad should NOT own animals...he hits them (and i wouldn't think it was such a big deal if he was lightly flicking her for discipline, but he straight up closed-fist PUNCHES dolly as hard as he can...she is a TINY, TINY dog and there is NO excuse for that!!). dolly is currently underweight (i only got her a few months ago), but i'm working on it. also, she isn't house trained. wtf were these people doing for the last 11 years? seriously. needless to say, i dont get along with my dad very well and have little respect for him because of what he's done to dolly. (he was abusive to my siblings and i during my childhood as well, but i honestly think it's worse to be so violent towards a tiny, completely dependent creature like my chihuahua) i'm happy to say though, that dolly IS learning (whoever said you can't teach an old dog new tricks didn't try hard enough), because she understands what i mean when i tell her to "go potty" outside. she has had very few accidents since i got her, and she has stopped shedding and gained a tiny bit of weight (most likely because she's not so stressed out anymore).

i love my dogs, and i especially love having rescues. it makes me feel so good to take a "broken" dog and make it feel loved and secure. rescue dogs are the most grateful, loving dogs there are! they are a blessing in my life and i dont know what i'd do without them!
  • Tank_Girl
    Tank_Girl Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Sky - working sheepdog
    Caine - saluki lurcher
    Ruby - collie lurcher
    Pandora - jack russel

2 x ferrets
    2 x goats
    7 x chickens
    1 x canary
    1 x yearling connemara x
  • lilacsun
    lilacsun Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Our family was adopted eight years ago by a darling little black and white female kitten from our local animal shelter. My husband hated cats prior to her. But she managed to wheedle her way into his heart. He even named her, Sophie. He named her that because her favorite spot was and still is the back of our sofa.
    Sophie is a large girl now. Last time she was weighed she was at 19 pounds. She is big all over though kind of built like a cougar. She loves to lay around all day but is quite sassy ( we wouldn't have it any other way) . She never ever lets us forget her mealtime and if we do she "talks" to us and lets us know. She's bosses our two kids twelve and sixteen around. Sophie also loves to lick plastic. We don't know why, she just does. We love our cat she is and always will be a part of our family. We even bribed our "no pet" landlord to let us keep her. We chose our house just so she could stay with us.
    If I keep telling you about our Kitty it would become a book. She is definately one of a kind.
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    mskat.jpg

this is my Ms. Kat Von C. This cat catches flies in mid air. Jumps straight up in the air to my daughters shoulders after she uses a certain brand of shampoo. Wakes me up after the first going off of the alarm by pulling my hair. Steals the blanket off my bed (will drag it to the floor)...she is just way too cool. And let's not forget she tops the scale at 25 lbs...she is huge ..her paws are bigger than our dogs paws. I think she is part siamese.
  • ervine
    ervine Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am also a HUGE animal lover!! Unfortunately I live in a small apartment and my husband is allergic to cats, so we only have one pet right now. We have a calico cat named Kiki that I rescued from the streets. My heart broke when I saw her crawl out of a storm drain terribly skinny and matted. She has now been with us for 6 years and is our little princess!! I don't know what I would do without her!