BIKE HELMETS.....Do YOU wear one??

Options

Replies

• kimr41
    kimr41 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Absolutely.

Incidentally did you realise if you were involved in an insurance claim as a result of cycle accident you could lose because you didn't wear a helmet? Check the small print in your policies!
    What insurance policy? Health?
  • lsapphire
    lsapphire Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I am an RN and wouldn't think about not wearing a helmet. I also wear fingerless leather gloves.:noway:
  • SwimtotheEnd
    SwimtotheEnd Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    In Australia, its against the law if you dont wear one.
  • blondie0942
    blondie0942 Posts: 146 Member
    Options

Might not make much difference at 60 mph on a motorcycle but it certainly could at casual cycling speeds.

Please also wear one on a motorcycle. My first husband was killed when he hit a truck that pulled out across 4 lanes of traffic when he was going about ~50mph. His autopsy showed absolutely no head trauma because of the helmet. He died of a chest injury.

I'm sorry for your loss. my ex boyfriend almost died because an SUV turned in front of him while he was riding his motorcycle. He had no head injuries because he was wearing his helmet, but we weren't sure if he was going to live because his lungs collapsed and the rest of his organs suffered a lot of damage as well. He most definitely wouldve died if he hadn't been wearing his helmet. He was also only 2 miles from his house, just going 30mph.

Moral of the story.....wear a helmet all the time, every time.
  • akklm05
    Options
    Yes, always...it saved my life. I took a spill doing about 20 miles an hour, flew over the handle bars. Came down on my head and shoulder. Broke the shoulder, no injuries to the head.
  • dadof2boyz
    dadof2boyz Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    ALWAYS! And I have taught my kids to wear them whenever they are on a bike, skateboard, skating, etc... It is a life saver. A 19-year old from our neighbourhood recently took a bad spill while skateboarding and lost his life because he did not have a helmet. I had a 16-year old cousin who fell off a bicycle, landed in a ditch, struck his head and never took a breath again after. So for me it's NOT NEGOTIABLE. And whenever I bicycle past an adult or child that is not wearing them, I ALWAYS tell them they should wear them. Most time they shrug it off, but if I can impart something on to just 1 person and potential save a life, then I will keep on doing so.

So please, do this for yourself and teach everyone you know to do the same.
  • kellystacy424
    Options
    Absolutely! My father has a brain injury from falling off a roof so not helmet related, but I would never give myself better odds of having a brain injury. And if you knew anyone that has one that is pretty severe you surely would wear one all the time.
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Hubby belongs to the "Saved by the Helmet" club. Fortunately he was wearing one when his front tire came off and he went over the front of his bike at the end of a 70 mi. ride. The helmet foam was all cracked but his head wasn't. This was before cell phones so he had to walk the last mile all scraped up. It's the law where we live now but wasn't then. If you search "saved by the helmet" most states have a club.
  • MissAshFit1989
    Options
    It's the law in Australia so yeah, I do.
  • sagetracey
    sagetracey Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    It's the law in Australia but even so, I wouldn't be without mine, no matter where I am riding. I have had three crashes in the last year and all have been solo and at slow speeds.

Just wish I had been wearing a helmet when I smacked my head into a very hard surface last week - but I wasn't cycling so hadn't even thought about putting it on!
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    It is the law here.
  • mikeyboy
    mikeyboy Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Wear a helmet now, or wear one for the rest of your life! Easy answer.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    When I was a kid... no way! It was the 1970's-1980's - nobody wore bike helmets.

Nowadays - I would feel naked without one. Traumatic brain injuries are ugly and complicated, and I'm going to take steps to protect my head. I'm a skilled cyclist, but there are careless people out there and accidents happen.
  • DeniseBromley
    DeniseBromley Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Always...I'm far too clumsy to NOT wear one. I've even joked while mountain biking that I need elbow & knee pads too!
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Yes, I wear a helmet everytime I get on my bike because I value my brains and the ability to wipe myself. I'm also a former emt/firefighter and I've seen brains on asphalt and I'd prefer to keep mine intact.
  • triplestepping
    triplestepping Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Of course! Helmets keep your brains on the INSIDE, where they belong.
  • welshcoffeeaddict
    Options
    Yes I wear one- its law here in Aus, but as a kid (growing up in UK) I never wore one... but nobody else did either. Now I wouldn't dream of not wearing a helmet. My OH says he wouldn't if he didn't have to. But I just don't see the point in taking the risk- must admit I feel less self concious as everyone has to wear one. And I have heard comments from drivers and pedestrians toward those they see who don't... not pleasant
  • lsand
    lsand Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    YES, ALWAYS! I've seen too many accidents, and I've wiped out myself, going only 5 mph, on a tiny bit of gravel in the road! And I landed on my helmet, so I'm glad I had it on.
  • Cmonnowguys
    Cmonnowguys Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Always wear one. I never wore it before and the one day I randomly decided to, I fell off my bike and my head slammed into the concrete and snapped back so hard that I had whiplash. If I hadn't been wearing my helmet I would've split my head open.
  • kaaatherine
    kaaatherine Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    always. My dad was in a bad crash a long time ago, and the doctor said that if he hadn't been wearing a helmet he'd have had major, irreversible brain damage. (I also always wear a helmet horseback riding, for that matter.)