I just want to give up.

Options
yowla
yowla Posts: 127 Member
Hello, I have been on and off MFP for over a year now. I have logged in everyday for almost 70 days. I have for the most part tracked my foods for the last 2 weeks. But I just can't do this. I don't know how people are losing weight. I don't know how to motivate myself to eat healthy or exercise. I use to be 114lbs and was able to eat what ever I wanted to 2 1/2 years ago. Now I am climbing to 160. I have a Mexico trip coming up in 64 days and I turn 40 in 4 months. I want to get skinny again. I need some help. I love reading things from all my friends on here so more friends the better. But any suggesstions to help me get out of this funk?

Replies

• sarahsummers12
    sarahsummers12 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    It is hard... I have been on here on and off for nearly a year.... and I lost 5kg and have put it back on and can't seem to get anywhere either. I know how frustrating it is. I desperately want to get skinny again too. I try and eat well - but even though I've been counting calories and eating good food I still aren't dropping weight and I get really down on myself... I find it almost impossible to motivate myself to exercise... which I am sure doesn't help. So I don't know how much help I can be to you... but I certainly understand where you are coming from. Feel free to add me as a friend and we can try and motivate each other. :-)
  • fitQueenbeast
    Options
    I turned 40 back in June and weighed 174.8 at that time, so I totally understand.

My first question is this: what are you doing in regards to exercising?

Second question: are you following a nutrition plan (notice I didn't say DIET)?

Erica

PS Feel free to add me for all kinds of motivation and inspiration.
  • Southernsass6885
    Southernsass6885 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Okay so THIS is acually going to take tme. It's supposed to. It's going to be hard. It's also going to be SO worth it. If you try to do itall at once, you are sure to fail. Take baby steps. Add a little at a time. Nobody gets healthy overnight. Focusing on the hardships of ths, and how long it's taking, and what progress you haven't made in a VERY SHORT period of time is the fastest way to make yourself quit.

And if you quit today, you're gonna look back at yourself three months from now, but you will have missed the opportunity to be 10-15 pounds lighter.
  • Scott277
    Options
    Yes, its not a diet, its a lifestyle.

If you want to change, to get skinny again, you have to change the way you live. It THEN becomes routine and only then will you workout all the time without even thinking about it.

Your nutrition must also develop into a new era. Im talking no unhealthy snacks to no proccessed foods. Take it as far as you want its your choice.

Remember though, if you really want it, you will change. Change the way you eat, live, workout. Im not saying you will be bothered working out every time, but it becomes routine and 9 times out of 10 if you just do a little bit you end up pushing and doing the full thing.

I always tell myself, that cake/snack/burger whatever is not as good as the feeling I get when I go home and look in the mirror knowing that the change is happening because i stuck to my plan.
  • Scott277
    Options
    Okay so THIS is acually going to take tme. It's supposed to. It's going to be hard. It's also going to be SO worth it. If you try to do itall at once, you are sure to fail. Take baby steps. Add a little at a time. Nobody gets healthy overnight. Focusing on the hardships of ths, and how long it's taking, and what progress you haven't made in a VERY SHORT period of time is the fastest way to make yourself quit.

And if you quit today, you're gonna look back at yourself three months from now, but you will have missed the opportunity to be 10-15 pounds lighter.

this too^
  • waronmyfat
    waronmyfat Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    i'll be honest.. you have to want it bad enough, you have to desire it enough to eat healthy and cut out all bad foods and exercise and stick with it and you need to be motivated to do it otherwise your not going to succeed ... you can give all the excuses oh i'll start tomorrow stop making excuses and just do it! it's not easy but if you really really want it you will do it :) by saying I just want to give up you've already failed before you've even started and your attitude stinks !
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Why do you want to give up?

Where will that get you?
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    It's amazing how so much of this is mental isn't it? I went years and years unable to motivate myself to do anything and then last November, it was like I flipped a switch in my brain. Listen to the people who tell you this takes time. Trying to make it go faster actually makes things go slower.
  • loretta5ue
    loretta5ue Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I looked at your profile and saw that you said you used to run and that you want to run. (I think you said you want to run a 25k).

So I have 1 question for you. Why aren't you running?

I'm a runner. I don't win any races. Sometimes I don't even like it but I always make sure I sign up for my next race. Knowing how bad I would feel with a DNF (did not finish) at a race is motivation to train for that next race.

If you're physically able why not give it a try? The only thing you have to lose is the registration fee.
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Hello, I have been on and off MFP for over a year now. I have logged in everyday for almost 70 days. I have for the most part tracked my foods for the last 2 weeks. But I just can't do this. I don't know how people are losing weight. I don't know how to motivate myself to eat healthy or exercise. I use to be 114lbs and was able to eat what ever I wanted to 2 1/2 years ago. Now I am climbing to 160. I have a Mexico trip coming up in 64 days and I turn 40 in 4 months. I want to get skinny again. I need some help. I love reading things from all my friends on here so more friends the better. But any suggesstions to help me get out of this funk?

I was always thin up until my mid 30s. I started gaining weight at 36 or so, and did it slowly over several years. I turned 48 in june, and weighed 189.4. I finally decided something had to give.

Do it now. Don't wait. It will never be easy, but it has been rewarding. I promised myself I would make major changes before 50. You won't regret starting!
  • MorganLeighRN
    MorganLeighRN Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    It takes time. The weight doesn't just magically fall off like so many people would like it too. Looking at your profile it says that you used to run. Why not start up again? Eat healthy and start exercising again. Did you run the 25K?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    working out/eating healthy is not easy....it is freaking hard work!

What does your current work out regiment look like? How are you structuring your meals and how many calories per day are you taking in?
  • Girowinters
    Options
    Hi - I can sympathise. I've been doing this for about 3 months and am making only incremental progress.I've seriously lost motivation the last week or so and don't seem to have any energy for exercise (or I choose not to make time). But I'm sure I'll get enthused again, and that you will too. Keeping a record of what you eat is great for keeping vege intake up (pride) and crap foods down (shame). I need new pals to keep me on track so friend me if you think I can help.
  • gabriellejayde
    gabriellejayde Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    open your diary so we can see your food. You may only have to make simple changes.
  • chelsea27lynn
    chelsea27lynn Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am at your point too! I am in a competition and I've hit 5lbs but couldn't get past that. Yesterday I steped on the scale and was really disappointed with myself. I started to have a nice chocolate breakfast but then told myself no. I put on my work out clothes and decided to walk until I thought I should turn around. I ended up walking 7.58miles! Keep telling yourself that you know you can do it! You have a goal and you know what you want! ANYTHING YOU PUT YOUR MIND TO YOU CAN ACCOMPLISH! Best of luck! :)
  • ashlbubba
    ashlbubba Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I am at your point too! I am in a competition and I've hit 5lbs but couldn't get past that. Yesterday I steped on the scale and was really disappointed with myself. I started to have a nice chocolate breakfast but then told myself no. I put on my work out clothes and decided to walk until I thought I should turn around. I ended up walking 7.58miles! Keep telling yourself that you know you can do it! You have a goal and you know what you want! ANYTHING YOU PUT YOUR MIND TO YOU CAN ACCOMPLISH! Best of luck! :)

AWESOME job Chelsea!!! Very motivation-- keep up that drive girl! We can do this!!
  • AmyBoogie
    AmyBoogie Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    This has been me for the past 5 years or so. I managed to maintain my weight but not lose anything. I could tell you that I was relatively good and I was but in reality I know I didn't put in the effort needed to take it off.

As you get older it gets harder and you have to put in more effort. For me, looking back to the days where I was 110 and eating a full large pizza for a dinner (by myself) is self defeating. Those days are just gone. My body and life are different so I need to be smarter.

What I was doing wrong (because I have no idea why you can't lose the weight) - "taste testing" yeah, testing was probably a little too much testing. I would eat something and if I didn't log it immediately it didn't go in and I forgot about it. I had a written food log and I would forget it places so now I'm online hoping that means I'll never forget to log in. What I was thinking was sensible was good food but maybe the wrong portion. I have to measure because I'm wrong wrong wrong otherwise.

I don't know if any of this helps you but if you really want this, hang in there and lean on the group. Learn from those here. You can do it if you set your mind to it.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Wow, we have a lot in common. I used to be able to eat anything as well and stay teeny tiny. I am also going to Mexico in November.

I started this journey in 2007. I totally agree with the baby steps theory to changing the lifestyle I stopped eating meats high in saturated fats (bacon and high fat hamburger) then I stopped drinking alcohol, then I stopped drinking soda and so on. I started eating more side salads instead of french fries and would choose a fruit parfait with yogurt instead of icecream for desserts. I did this ONE thing at a time and went to the next thing after I got used to the last thing.

I am 44 years old and now I am pretty much to the point where I can eat anything I want again. I will say that what I want is typically healthier but yeah, there are days that I will choose a fattening sweet treat,, it is okay because 90% of my diet is darn good.

One of the worst things you can do is putting too much pressure on yourself to do it all at once and now. Just start by making one change, then take it from there.

Good luck, hang in there. You will never regret getting healthy, I promise you that. Looking pretty is just a benefit.
  • ceajules
    Options
    I was going to ask about exercise as well

If you give up what will happen, gain???
  • Rbi827
    Rbi827 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello...

It seems to me that we can never give up longing and wishing for all that we want in life. Sorry, I don't have the easy answer, but I want to say certain things I feel are beautiful rewards and well worth the good effort that we put into them....You MUST continue to hunger after them. Stay true to the plan, and look up "The belly fat cure" to understand how sugars may be holding you back. Best of luck!!!