I just want to give up.

Options

Replies

• spearsdeborah
    spearsdeborah Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    DON'T GIVE UP...GET ORGANIZED TO MAKE IT EASIER FOR YOURSELF. SET SMALL GOALS AND REWARD YOURSELF WITH SOMETHING, OTHER THAN FOOD, FOR YOUR SUCCESS....A HAIR BARRETTES, EARRINGS, A MOVIE, SOMETHING SMALL BUT SOMETHING YOU'LL ENJOY.

I FIND IT EASIER TO PRE-PACKAGE, PRE-MEASURE MY REGULAR FOODS SO CAN ALWAYS GRAB A SNACK WHEN I'M ON THE RUN OR NEED TO THROW TOGETHER LUNCH FOR WORK. I MIX GREENS AND ADD GRAPE TOMATOES, CUKES, ONION OR WHATEVER INTO 5 SEALABLE CONTAINERS FOR MY WORK WEEK. EACH DAY I VARY THE SALAD WITH A DIFFERENT PROTEIN, SALMON, TUNA, BEANS, GRILLED/BAKED CHICKEN. SNACK BAGS OF CELERY/CARROTS WITH PRE-MEASURED HUMMUS. COUNT OUT MY CRACKERS TO GO WITH STRIP CHEESE OR LAUGHING COW WEDGES. KEEP LOTS OF FRUIT IN THE FRIDGE. AIR POP MY POPCORN FOR THE MOVIE. LOTS OF WATER FROZEN SO I CAN CARRY IT TO WORK OR TO RUN ERRANDS. I MAKE LOW CAL SOUPS AND FREEZE IN PORTIONS, SO I DON'T GET BORED EATING THE SAME THING EVERYDAY, MAKE MY OWN ICED COFFEES/LATTES WITH SUGAR FREE SYRUPS (TORANI) AND FAT FREE MILK. FREEZE FRUIT BEFORE IT OVER RIPENS AND WHIP IT IN THE BLENDER FOR FABULOUS SMOOTHIES WHEN I NEED A SUGAR BOOST. YOU CAN DO IT AND LOOK GREAT ON YOUR TRIP. MY BIG REWARD IS TO BE 50 POUNDS LIGHTER FOR A TRIP TO PARIS FOR MY 60TH B'DAY IN APRIL. (LOST 37 ALREADY).......YOU CAN DO IT AND SO CAN I.
  • Sean195
    Sean195 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Don't give up! It works. It took time to gain and it will take time to get it off. Stick it out!
  • nnelson24
    Options
    i'll be honest.. you have to want it bad enough, you have to desire it enough to eat healthy and cut out all bad foods and exercise and stick with it and you need to be motivated to do it otherwise your not going to succeed ... you can give all the excuses oh i'll start tomorrow stop making excuses and just do it! it's not easy but if you really really want it you will do it :) by saying I just want to give up you've already failed before you've even started and your attitude stinks !
  • nnelson24
    Options
    i love your pic...new body under construction....so true, thanks!!
    i'll be honest.. you have to want it bad enough, you have to desire it enough to eat healthy and cut out all bad foods and exercise and stick with it and you need to be motivated to do it otherwise your not going to succeed ... you can give all the excuses oh i'll start tomorrow stop making excuses and just do it! it's not easy but if you really really want it you will do it :) by saying I just want to give up you've already failed before you've even started and your attitude stinks !
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I jog. I have done a lot of jogging. I ran a 25k and I run about 2-4 times a week. But nothing helps. 2 weeks ago I was doing really good and last week I gained so much of the weight I lost back and then some. My hubby and I are working on this together. We grill up Chicken and Pork for the week, for lunches. I cut up veggies and fruits. But Nothing. I just don't get it. Well today I totally fell off my diet. I ate like a total pig. Maybe I needed a day like that. :)

Are you doing any strength training or circuit training? If not, I would recommend adding three days a week of some kind of strenth training regimen. Somehting like:
    M - weights
    T - run
    W - weights
    Th - run
    Fri- weight
    Sa - run
    sunday - off or do som core stuf

You might also want to add some sprint intervals into your running routine.
  • damelvinite
    damelvinite Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Don't give up what has worked for me in the past and continues to work is make a competition out of it with friends and family.
  • crazyvermont
    crazyvermont Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Everyone at some point has experienced what you are going through but I urge you not to give up. My suggestion is to think of it as a quest to getting healthy rather than getting skinny. Even as a guy, I started out with only the end weight in mind and was getting extremely frustrated as I consumed too many calories and worked out way too much causing my body to go into starvation mode and no weight loss. Had a friend suggest the healthy lifestyle mindset and it has worked as I feel much better and have now started dropping weight. You can and will succeed!!
  • derekj222
    derekj222 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Yes, its not a diet, its a lifestyle.

If you want to change, to get skinny again, you have to change the way you live. It THEN becomes routine and only then will you workout all the time without even thinking about it.

Your nutrition must also develop into a new era. Im talking no unhealthy snacks to no proccessed foods. Take it as far as you want its your choice.

Remember though, if you really want it, you will change. Change the way you eat, live, workout. Im not saying you will be bothered working out every time, but it becomes routine and 9 times out of 10 if you just do a little bit you end up pushing and doing the full thing.

I always tell myself, that cake/snack/burger whatever is not as good as the feeling I get when I go home and look in the mirror knowing that the change is happening because i stuck to my plan.

^^100% right on! I have loosing since January on and off and only in the past few months when I really decided to step up my game of counting calories and developing an exercise routine is when the weight starting coming off more easily.
    Also, as he said, eventually you will never thinking about how you don't want to go to the gym, there will be a point where you must make time for it everyday and if you miss a day you will feel so mad at yourself. I know I do now, and it feels great knowing that this in now ingrained in me FOREVER!
  • preaser
    preaser Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Be sure to measure yourself. I've been doing MFP for about 3 months and have only lost 5 pounds, but have lost 3 inches on my hips! I'd be really discouraged, but my clothes feeling better and the inches off really help.
    Also, perhaps you need a physical and check your thryoid, and vitamin levels. It can't hurt to make sure you're all on track with those.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    You know what they say - "Old age ain't for sissys!"

Today is my birthday. I am now 42. It's just a damn sad fact of life that our bodies don't work at 40 the same way they did at 20.

If you want the body of a 20-year-old at 40 you have to work a lot harder at it.
  • Angie_1991
    Angie_1991 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    DO NOT GIVE UP!!! GIVING UP IS NOT AN OPTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ADD ME
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    You know what? It won't really be quitting if you quit now, because you can't quit something you never really started in the first place. So go ahead, what's there to lose? Wait, you weren't asking for our approval of you quitting? Then:

YOU have to make the decision to do this FULL ON, 100%, from here on out, no "if's" "and's" or "but's" about it. YOU DECIDE.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Maybe everyone is making it too complicated. You need to simply eat foods you LIKE within your calorie budget for the week. Forget about healthy for the moment and see what just sticking to a budget does. Then fine tune your diet with healthier choices one item at a time if you want.

Well this is what worked for me:

Eat less to lose weight
    Exercise to maintain or build lean body mass
    end of story.

Well, it did work for me. I focused on those two things boiled down and it made it simple in my mind, day in and day out. I am the fittest, leanest, strongest, and most muscular I've ever been in my life at age 51 and I'm healthy and don't get sick and have long endurance.

Here is exactly what worked for me: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/734287-what-the-venus-index-workout-did-for-me-with-pics
  • Angie_1991
    Angie_1991 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    It is a lifestyle change, not just a diet. Has to be this way forever. Takes work and time. You have to want it and work for it.
  • terrieghicks
    Options
    Losing weight is hard. I am not going to lie and tell you it is easy. For me it all shifted for me when I found a workout I love. I love to workout to TurboFire with Chalene Johnson. When you find something you like to do it makes the biggest difference. I struggled until I found this workout. I cannot wait to workout everyday and find it hard to take one day off per week. However working out is only part of the equation. The really hard part for me was my diet. I have found 5 "go to" meals that I love to eat! In Chalene Johnson's book that is one of her tips of successful dieters....they are creatures of habit and pretty much eat the same thing every week.

I found it extremely helpful when I feel fusterated to take a step back and set small goals that I know I can do everyday and master those then build up from those. For example, I know I can drink my 10 glasses of water everyday so I go back to just doing that then when I feel like okay I got this then I add something else. I build myself up so the only option is to succeed!
  • Kwilliams75
    Kwilliams75 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    It's amazing how so much of this is mental isn't it? I went years and years unable to motivate myself to do anything and then last November, it was like I flipped a switch in my brain. Listen to the people who tell you this takes time. Trying to make it go faster actually makes things go slower.

This is so true! I ask people my size to run with me and they tell me they are too big. I try and explain that if you let your brain tell you to stop pushing you will. When i began running for the last half of my run I kept having to tell myself ok just one foot in front of the other and I got this. Food is the same way. There are some really enjoyable recipes that are healthy.

Also stop looking at the scale there are a ton of other factors that you can look such as inches, your cholesterol levels, how you generally feel, etc. The scale is a easy way to lose motivation. Remember you are doing this for your health not the number on the scale!!
  • icerose137
    icerose137 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Ditch the notions that you need serious and long cardio to lose weight. Look up HIIT, which stands for high intensity interval training. Focus more on strength training than cardio. Bodyweight excercises when performed in succession are a cardio workout, but they're building the muscle you need to lose the fat.

Separate your carbs from your fat. You want your carbs in the morning, not at night. So carb and protein breakfast, no more than 10 grams of fat. For lunch and supper you want fat and protein, no more than 10 carbs with it. Do three snacks a day that are fruits or veggies.

One day a week gleefully mix your fat and carbs. This brings your fat burning hormone back up to normal levels. This means pizza, lasagna, hamburgers, icecream, whatever it is you love to eat. Make 1000 of your calories that day fat and carb mix.

I joined the site about 2 years ago, and did fantastic, then I entered school and gained it all back. With the system above I can be busy and lose weight.

It's a lot easier to follow a stricter diet if you know there's a day each week when you can eat the foods you are missing. Fat and carbs every day though equal fat storage so make sure they're only meeting up once a week. If you aren't eating fat and carbs together once a week you lose your fat burning hormone levels and go into storage mode which just slows everything down to a crawl.

Good fats are butter, olive oil, and coconut oil. These are stable oils that don't turn into really bad for you oils under heat. There have been numerous studies that have proven that coconut oil is especially healthy for you and promotes weight loss. in fact they encourage you to eat 3 TBSP a day.

Bad fats are vegetable oils, shortening, and margarine. Stay far far away from these bad nasty fats. Canola oil can be good if eaten cold. The unsaturated fats are extremely unstable, so as soon as they are heated up they morph into super bad for you trans fats. So it's better to stick with the three heat stable oils. Anything hydrogenated should be chucked immediately as well even if it's "partially" hydrogenated.
  • Cocochickdeleted
    Cocochickdeleted Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I am 45 years old. I am 5'5" and I went from weighing 160-ish last November to my current 125. You CAN do it! You just have to want it badly enough. Yes, it's hard, but anything worth having is worth working for. Saying that you CAN'T is a self-fulfilling prophesy. Change your mindset. Believe in yourself. Be willing to make small changes. Over time, these things DO make a difference. Feel free to add me as a friend if you believe I have anything to offer you.
  • mailchelle
    Options
    Hello, I have been on and off MFP for over a year now. I have logged in everyday for almost 70 days. I have for the most part tracked my foods for the last 2 weeks. But I just can't do this. I don't know how people are losing weight. I don't know how to motivate myself to eat healthy or exercise. I use to be 114lbs and was able to eat what ever I wanted to 2 1/2 years ago. Now I am climbing to 160. I have a Mexico trip coming up in 64 days and I turn 40 in 4 months. I want to get skinny again. I need some help. I love reading things from all my friends on here so more friends the better. But any suggesstions to help me get out of this funk?

Honestly a few years ago, I was in the same boat. My wakeup call was going to the Dr. and them telling me that I had PCOS. Its not easy, and to be completely frank, there are some days where I do not exercise or eat the things that I'm supposed to. Im learning that that is ok! No one is perfect.

Your motivation should come from you, from knowing that this is all a journey. You can do it, just like me and everyone else here. Take small steps. Take a thirty minute walk after eating lunch at work. Find ways to get up and get moving.

Most of all, think of the DAILY successes that you've made and make that a part of your motivation. Its all about putting one foot in front of the other and eventually you will find yourself on the right track...or so thats what I'm learning :)
  • smgouzie
    smgouzie Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Read Dr Joel Fuhrman's Eat to Live book. Its life changing. You will likely learn what you've been doing wrong.