Forced flu shot at work

Options
1202122232426»

Replies

• secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    The only time I got a flu shot, I got the flu two weeks later. It was the first time in my adult life I ever had it. This april, I had a dr. DEMAND that I get the flu shot. She is no longer my provider.

If this was my workplace, I'd challenge them to fire me.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Hell no. I haven't had a flu shot since I was in school. I've always been wary of vaccines. How do I really know what's in them? They could have been injecting me with a mix of vaccine and some manufactured thing. Even as a small kid I hated getting shots because I was afraid there was something extra in there. How am I supposed to be able to trust a complete stranger enough to inject me with a mysterious fluid?

No way. Government conspiracies aside, I work retail and hardly get sick anyways.

Edit- Not sure how I feel about my post being the first in a new thread....... well.. anyone else have a strange fear of the government experimenting with the population as a whole by putting strange substances in the flu vaccines?

Or just watched too many zombie movies?

Honestly, this seems silly to me. Why would flu shots be more likely to be contaminated than any other substance you put in your body? Even fresh organic produce has become contaminated and killed people.
  • Pinkigloopyxie
    Options
    I have no idea, it's just always been an irrational fear of mine. Genetically altered substances that lower our bodies' ability to produce certain chemicals or perform normal bodily functions? Make a population less happy by messing with their ability to produce chemicals that make you feel happier and then selling that population remedies for depression? Perhaps they could introduce an alteration to a small number of the population and monitor the results throughout the subject's lifetimes. Subtly altering humans just to see if they can.

Yeah that's why I label it under 'Irrational fear,' same as the fear of mirrors.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    its no big deal.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    Hell no. I haven't had a flu shot since I was in school. I've always been wary of vaccines. How do I really know what's in them? They could have been injecting me with a mix of vaccine and some manufactured thing. Even as a small kid I hated getting shots because I was afraid there was something extra in there. How am I supposed to be able to trust a complete stranger enough to inject me with a mysterious fluid?

No way. Government conspiracies aside, I work retail and hardly get sick anyways.

Edit- Not sure how I feel about my post being the first in a new thread....... well.. anyone else have a strange fear of the government experimenting with the population as a whole by putting strange substances in the flu vaccines?

I don't watch zombie movies but I'm with you on this one. I trust the government about as far as I can throw a bull by the tail.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

Yes, I do worry about these things and refuse any and all shots. I have refused all vaccinations since I got out of the Army, including tetanis.

They are pointless and don't allow the body to build up natural immunity to bacteria and other viruses.

I get sick way less than when I was taking all of these shots to immunize against this or that.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options

It's not irrational at all. Actually, it is quite scary and a real fear.

I was really angry that my children had to take vaccines. Further, if you don't stay on top of them, they give them ones they dont' even need. Parents really ahve to watch and ask lots of questions. The governmnet only requires about 4 vaccines, but doc's will give them up to 12 or something. Something crazy. And, you really have to fight them to get them to only give the required ones. Makes me extremely suspicious. Jacking people with things to see what happens. If you dont' think that happens, you are insane.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Yes, I do worry about these things and refuse any and all shots. I have refused all vaccinations since I got out of the Army, including tetanis.

They are pointless and don't allow the body to build up natural immunity to bacteria and other viruses.

I get sick way less than when I was taking all of these shots to immunize against this or that.

This is simply not true. There really is no global conspiracy between healthcare providers and governments worldwide. It would be a cold day in Hades when we could get that many people in power to agree on anything.
  • junodog1
    junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member
    Options
    Me? I am a fairly healthy person. I have no medical conditions to blame for my health problems except overeatitis. I would jump at the chance for the free flu shot.

I think any person who has had the knock-you-down make-you-want-to-die I have-to-crawl-to-the-toilet-cause-I am-too-weak-to-walk my-fever-is-104 and it-caused-a-miscarriage influenza would be happy to take the flu vaccine. Too many people get a really, really, really bad cold or other respiratory infection and think they have had the flu.

I'm here to tell you the real thing is HORRIBLE. Unless you have some allergic or religious issue with the flu shot take the darn freebie.
  • Ruthe8
    Ruthe8 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    This is ignorant and ridiculous. Vaccines are life-saving medicine that have virtually wiped out serious diseases - polio, for instance. You don't freaking build up natural immunity to polio. Nor to tetanus, since that was your example.
  • Ruthe8
    Ruthe8 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Even as a small kid I hated getting shots because I was afraid there was something extra in there.
    Small children don't generally come up with ideas like that on their own. Just what was going on during your childhood...?
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    This is ignorant and ridiculous. Vaccines are life-saving medicine that have virtually wiped out serious diseases - polio, for instance. You don't freaking build up natural immunity to polio. Nor to tetanus, since that was your example.

Like!!!
  • Vini9
    Vini9 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I would have challenged them. Where I live children and adults have a choice. I say no and they do add other things in them. My doctor gave me an ingredant list for a shot my child was to get and it had "no joke" antifreeze in it. It also had four times the amount of alumin a adult person is to get, for a child. It makes me so mad that people think you have to have cause a doctor told you so. Ps. I had to google like every ingredant in the list to know what the heck they were talking about. All you have to do is research.
  • Pinkigloopyxie
    Options
    Even as a small kid I hated getting shots because I was afraid there was something extra in there.
    Small children don't generally come up with ideas like that on their own. Just what was going on during your childhood...?

I also used to be suspicious of the doctor's office because I'd always feel better as soon as I got there and he'd say 'keep an eye on it but it doesn't look bad' and three days later I'd have a full blown ear infection or bronchitis and he'd get to charge my mom more money for having to come twice.

I think by age seven I'd cottoned on to the whole 'make them come back twice to squeeze more money from them' thing because I had many, many, many ear and throat infections as a child. But I also fancifully believed they had a sort of 'feel better' medicine spray that they put in the air vents so you'd feel/look just well enough to not need meds.
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    No - just no. It's a choice and it's yours to make. Persoanlly they keep trying to give my husband the flu shots and BOTH times we said yes he got the flu right after. So we gave up on that route. However, I support your CHOICE to take it, or not - no matter what your employer says. Do you work in the healtcare industry?
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options

I also used to be suspicious of the doctor's office because I'd always feel better as soon as I got there and he'd say 'keep an eye on it but it doesn't look bad' and three days later I'd have a full blown ear infection or bronchitis and he'd get to charge my mom more money for having to come twice.

I think by age seven I'd cottoned on to the whole 'make them come back twice to squeeze more money from them' thing because I had many, many, many ear and throat infections as a child. But I also fancifully believed they had a sort of 'feel better' medicine spray that they put in the air vents so you'd feel/look just well enough to not need meds.

I think I love kid you. :D
  • DesireeLovesOrganic
    Options

It's not irrational at all. Actually, it is quite scary and a real fear.

I was really angry that my children had to take vaccines. Further, if you don't stay on top of them, they give them ones they dont' even need. Parents really ahve to watch and ask lots of questions. The governmnet only requires about 4 vaccines, but doc's will give them up to 12 or something. Something crazy. And, you really have to fight them to get them to only give the required ones. Makes me extremely suspicious. Jacking people with things to see what happens. If you dont' think that happens, you are insane.

If you are in the US, none are REQUIRED for your children. Not even for public school, unless you live in Mississippi or West Virginia which only offer medical exemption for school entry. In every other state there are religious (or even philosophical) exemptions for public school entry.