anyone given up bread?

Options

Replies

• Squiggs67
    Options
    I quit wheat in January when I did the Wild Rose Cleanse. I didn't eat wheat after I was done the cleanse and just recently have introduced it (in very small amounts) into my diet and truthfully...I feel like crap after I eat it. Wheat is not my friend. I feel so much better not eating it that it really isn't worth it for me to have it.
  • toddhin
    toddhin Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yes, I gave up bread on June 14th 2012. My Doctor suggested that I give up bread, pasta and potatoes for 30 days only. I lost 15 pounds in 30 days and kept going. I have lost 36 pounds since June 14th and I try to keep my carbs around 50 each day. It was nuch easier than I thought it would be for the first 30 days. I will keep going since I do not seem to miss the bread.
  • rotill
    rotill Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Another thing which may be helpful: Make sure to have a lot of protein with your bread! Stack the slices with meats or fish. Protein gives a better sense of being full, and it's easier to keep from over-eating.
  • jonielena
    Options
    I was recently informed by my doctor that I shouldn't be eating gluten. Problem is I love all things gluten, and I used to binge on bread, so I feel your pain.

I'm on month 2 without bread, and feeling great. The first 2 weeks were horrible - I had intense cravings and felt fatigued all the time. Now I feel awesome, and have lots more energy. My skin has cleared up a lot, too. Also, I used to get food cravings ALL the time, and ever since I stopped eating gluten the cravings are gone. Eating healthier is a lot easier now that I'm not constantly craving pasta and sugar.

Definitely try giving it up for a week or two and see how things go. Also, there are tons of great GF breads and pastas on the market now, as well as some healthy whole grain breads. Ezekiel breads, as one poster mentioned, are amazing. Really filling, too, so you won't be as tempted to binge. I don't eat them any more 'cause of my intolerance to gluten, but if you have no medical reasons for avoiding gluten then definitely give them a try.

If you need any recipes/support/advice for avoiding gluten, feel free to add me as a friend and/or message me!
  • Alpina483
    Alpina483 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Er... it went away from my regular shopping somehow, no special efforts. When I go see my parents on weekends, I might enjoy a slice with butter every now and then, but I really don't like the effect on my system (bloating) and I don't realy miss it, so that's going away, too. I think the point is, I'm not telling myself 'never again', just eat stuff and watch what it does to me.
    I still keep buying rye crisps though - need some carbs after all.
  • jjl0412
    jjl0412 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I stopped all loaf white or wheat breads. I purchase LaTortia Factory whole grain packs. Low fat, carbs and 12 g fiber, 80 cals. Good hot or cold. Or if I want something different I use Mestemacher pumpernickel with whole rye kernals. All mill ground in Germany. Cut in half it makes an excellent sandwich or for yummy spreads of all kinds. 120 cals total. It is a dense 'bread' that full of whole rye kernals, but delicious! They make other recipes also. Makes AWESOME Toast! I love pumpernickel and rye bread so this is the ticket for me!
    2a4u5on.jpg
    bec9iw.png
  • jonelaw
    Options
    I gave up wheat in general 2 1/2 months ago and feel so much better. No more bloating in my belly, decreased waistline, and most importantly no more food cravings! I, too, would recommend reading "Wheat Belly" if you can. I read the book after I decided to go wheat-free and reading cemented my decision. I don't see myself going back to wheat at all. I do eat 1-2 slices gluten free bread/week without a problem.
  • jlohcook
    jlohcook Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    nope, will never give up bread, but continue to bake my own bread, using whole wheat and rye more. The breads that I make are artisan sourdough, with simple ingredients like flour, water, salt, sometimes olive oil when i make italian. the problem with store bought bread is in contains a lot of other ingredients - butter, egg, sugar, milk, high fats, high sugar. therefore, when you choose breads, look closely at the ingredients used.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I find I can't give up bread. So I usually eat one slice at the END of a meal. It makes me feel good energy wise to eat it. But I can tell you I always want MORE. I limit to usually one piece and I lost all my weight having my beloved one piece of of Truckee Sourdough company bread even during my big weight loss phase for two years. I helped keep me sane. I always knew I could have another piece tomorrow and kept my mind fixated on the victory of the scale trend going down, one victory to the next, constantly riding the victory and the fact that my weight was going down if I kept within my calorie budget. Even now in maintenance mode I can't eat as much bread as I would like. I can only eat one half of a caibatta roll.
  • mbraley92
    Options
    I'm so glad I'm not alone in being addicted to bread! It's always been my comfort food, and sometimes i have found myself eating up to TWELVE slices in a day...that's a little excessive, and it needs to end now!
  • Alpina483
    Alpina483 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Never! I love my bread! :) just eat the right kinds and in small portions.

Problem with some people is even with the right kinds, they can't eat small portions.

yep, ok, back to the OP - if you don't do your own shopping, can you enroll family's help in portioning your food?
  • texfinn
    texfinn Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have replaced with low-carb tortillas as much as possible. lately I am on a 100 calorie whole grain sandwich thin kick but in general, I avoid bread.

Bread is like Chips to me - I can't control myself. Because of the kids, I have to have bread in the house but have managed to avoid it. As for chips - except for the snack bags for the kids lunches (which I won't touch), they are banned from the house. :(
  • jonielena
    Options
    Also, as follow-up to my last post:

If you're feeling like eating bread or anything else with gluten affects you emotionally, that's something you should bring up with your doctor. Some medical conditions can make you intolerant to gluten, and that can affect your mood. In my case, I was told for years that I had depression, anxiety, even bipolar disorder! I always felt like that didn't make sense, and the medications I was on just made things worse. Recently I was diagnosed with hashimoto's thyroiditis (which is often misdiagnosed as depression or something else), and was told that avoiding gluten would help with a lot of the symptoms. Nothing could be more true. I cut out gluten and my mood and energy levels improved almost instantly.

If eating gluten affects your mood/makes you feel awful, or if it gives you terrible cravings (especially for bread and sugary things), then it's worth bringing that up with a doctor or nutritionist.
  • logdunne
    logdunne Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I ate much bread at the weekend (tiger bread, omnomnom).
    My bowels and my scales regret it today :-(
  • Melolicious
    Melolicious Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Bread elicits a very, very strong glycemic response (bread-->starch-->sugar) from my body and it actually makes me hungrier and the people who commented that they can eat a half a loaf+... probably you too. There comes a point where you have gone past a lack willpower or inner strength and are responding to a very strong biological urge. It's not that you are weak, it's the sugar cycle. I love bread and I used to eat a lot of pasta too. A holistic nutritionist challenged me to go 10 days without sugar, wheat or dairy and the first couple of days were miserable but then around day 5, wow. Suddenly I didn't feel crazy-stupid-hungry anymore, I had less bloating and gas and less knee pain. Since then, whenever I've gone back to bread, it all comes back. Turns out chronic joint pain is a symptom of wheat and gluten sensitivity. Now, if I had the 10 years back where my doctor told me it was arthritis and too lose weight, I'd probably have a few less pounds to lose today. I have no middle ground or wiggle room (at least right now, maybe in the future) so I have to be all or nothing. When I do eat bread, I go for Silver Mills sprouteds grain bread, it digests easier than regular grains and has more protein because the grains are sprouted first.
  • eatrainsmile
    eatrainsmile Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I love bread too. I just dont eat white bread made of processed white flour. I also check out the labels in order to be sure if there are too many additives inside. Also sugar. I avoid buying sugar added breads. I buy healthy breads made of whole wheat/whole rye/buckwheat flour. I sometimes make my own bread at home. Whole Crispbread crackers like Ryvita or Wasa do also the trick if you want to stop eating bread.
  • Josette89
    Options
    I'm going Paleo myself. Experimental stages at present, plus I have a bit of a "what is in the house" thing happening too.

That said, I am wondering if it is carb distribution .... ie the times of the day we eat it.

Perhaps the body wants to binge for not making up for our minimum carbs for the day ? Sometimes a binge comes from cravings, cravings can possibly come from lack.

I know some days I get the same thing - started becoming "bingey" into the evening this evening and looked at my carb distribution throughout the day (I don't base it on meal times, just "meal events" :) ).

I'll see how it goes for myself.

PS Bread free for several days and it IS hard .... trying to be "wheat-free", not "low carb".

The idea that a craving comes from a lack of something is probably right, although, the things that we think we crave for a certain reason isn't what our bodies are trying to tell us we crave at all. Sometimes we just want it and that one reason defends our bad behavior. In actuality, the body is asking for something it needs, usually that thing is water because most people don't drink enough water. Our bodies are composed of 70% water.... we need it. Also, your body may be asking for some sleep or exercise. Could be a number of things. So, maybe before you go on that binge that will make you regret it later, try to treat your body to something else that it may be asking for.
  • Delovelybella87
    Options
    I too am on a Paleolithic diet, gluten free, high in protein and vegetables. Feel greater then ever Ive lost 50 plus lbs since April with lots of cardio still have 36 lbs to go and hoping to drop those lbs by thanksgiving! Wish me luck as I wish you all the best of luck in your journey! Ciao Bella
  • jbella99
    jbella99 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I eat according to the Primal Blueprint. No breads, pasta, starchy veggies or legumes. Since I have been eating like this I rarely crave them. I don't have the sugar highs and lows and when i do "cheat" I feel sick.
  • 1holegrouper
    1holegrouper Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I've been doing Paleo for about five weeks. Although, I have my bites here and there, I'm not supposed to. It is tough, but I am becoming more and more dedicated, Once I can make some coconut/almond flour bread, I will be fine. :) It's expensive though, so it will definitely only been on special occasions. Since starting Paleo, I've felt great with a ton of energy, I sleep better, and my skin is much clearer.Plus, I'm losing weight much quicker :) I think the rewards outweigh the temporary happiness that bread gives me. :) It has been an interesting start to a lifestyle change.

Well said^^^

We only say "I will never give up" this or that when we do not desire results like you have experienced more.