What keeps you going day after day???

Options

Replies

• TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Most of my day to day goals are not weight loss oriented. I set daily goals like staying within my macros or hitting a certain point in my fitness goals. Sometimes it is a simple as just following a meal plan for a single day. All I am thinking about is today, and I only have to get through today. I'll deal with tomorrow when it gets here.

1. No matter how far off track you get, keep logging. If you do nothing else but log your meals you will see progress. Seriously.

2. Everything is your choice. You are choosing to eat healthy foods. You are choosing to log. You are choosing to exercise. The junk food will be there tomorrow if you want it, just choose to eat for your goals today.
  • gaylynn35
    gaylynn35 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I just make myself do it. It is not that hard. Just eat better and get moving. That is what works for me.:smile:
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    The scale is a trend tool. The scale is good but put it away and only check once a week and only use it as a trend tool, the same with other metrics. Take front, side, and back progress pictures at least once a month. You will see differences that the metrics won't tell you and it's that little bit of NSV that will keep you going until the next victory.

Keep track of ALL NSV's and ride one victory to the next. Keep your focus on your final prize, and all your prizes along the way.
  • jmelyan23
    jmelyan23 Posts: 1,664 Member
    Options
    "When you want to quit, remember why you started."
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    I am having the hardest time staying focused and on track. Or I mess up once and just say, "I'll start again next week". How do I avoid that? Then I get depressed and mad at myself and of course, that makes it worse.... HELP!:sad:
    I think you need to figure out what it is you tell yourself that gives you permission to skip out on doing what you know you need to do. Of course it's hard. If it were easy no one would be overweight. If you decide it is mandatory that you to care for your body so you can have the quality of life you want, it will make things much simpler.

Do you go to work or school every day? What makes you do everything else you need to do even if you don't feel like it? Discipline yourself to commit & the rest will fall into place.
  • waronmyfat
    waronmyfat Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I am having the hardest time staying focused and on track. Or I mess up once and just say, "I'll start again next week". How do I avoid that? Then I get depressed and mad at myself and of course, that makes it worse.... HELP!:sad:

you've got to really want it... and saying oh i'll start again is just another excuse... stop making excuses find out what is it really desire and why you wanted to lose it in the first place.. focus on that and one day at a time

I stay on track and focused because I really really really want it bad... I desire it so much its all I think about and I focus holly and solely on it... arseholes and people who say you'll never do it just fuel my fire and I'll prove them wrong... I'm making this my new career and plan on doing fitness compeitions... find your inner fire and you will come out on top
  • doitforabby
    doitforabby Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    So helpful to see all these inspirations
  • LiveLaffLoseLove
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I love reading all your different thoughts... when I was deciding on my lunch today (I wanted to be oh so bad), I looked at all this and made the better choice!!! I will look at this daily for a while I am sure!
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    What keeps you going day after day???

Fear.

I was a "I'll start next week" kind of person as well...until time ran out and I almost died because I couldn't stop eating.
  • SF2514
    SF2514 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    The mirror is motivation for me. I'm shallow and I hate looking in them lol.
  • avandy83
    Options
    I have to work in short goals. I couldn't have done this by saying "I need to lose 65 pounds and get toned". Every 10 pounds or so I treated myself with a pedicure (I don't get those normally, it's a treat) or a new pair of shoes or something. That's what keeps me going. My short term goals also include special occassions. Like for 3 weeks I've been thinking about this fancy party I have to go to next weekend, and I want to look good.
  • TxAngel79
    TxAngel79 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    If I miss up, which I do often, I just remind myself that tomorrow is a new day! I want to be healthier, leaner, look sexy in clothes! I want my daughters to be proud to say "Yes, that's my mom" and I want my husband to go crazy wanting me and be proud to show me off!!! Giving up is not an option I give myself!
  • rai8759
    rai8759 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    bump.. I'm going to read this when I'm getting tempted to slip up :flowerforyou:
  • Ellas_Time_4_Change
    Options
    I've built some great friendships on here and seriously its them that keeps me going. They are amazing motivators! :happy:

^^This! I love my MFP's they motivate me everyday to log in even when the scale is being a stubborn little *****!
  • nurse_jenie
    Options
    I do not say I am on a diet. I say that I am now living a healty lifestyle. If I eat pizza for lunch I still do my workout and eat as if I would normally would for dinner. I follow the 80/20 rule. I eat right 80% of the time and have fun with food 20% of the time. I enjoy working out so that is not an issue for me. Good Luck!
  • AReasor
    AReasor Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Plan ahead. Have healthy foods available.

Sustainable. Make sure your calories and fitness are something you can maintain, long haul.

Do it for yourself(i.e. want it bad enough).
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I focus on doing the best I can today. Even if I slip up once or twice, I don't "start over tomorrow" and throw the rest of the day out the window because of it. One slip-up doesn't ruin a day unless you let it.
  • Girl_du_jour
    Girl_du_jour Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Somebody told me that 'If you keep doing what you're doing, you'll keep getting what you're getting'. I wanted to change. I think the idea of what we can be capable of is phenomenal, and I like the idea of a challenge.

At least, that's on my good days.

On bad days, it's hard, I admit. I find eating right harder than exercising, though I know not everyone is the same. I will try to do enough exercise to burn sufficient calories to let myself have something nice. I feel pretty bad when I go over my calories, but sometimes you just have to. I did last night, and because I allowed myself the binge I enjoyed it, it ended up only being about 400 calories over my goal and today I'm back on track.

Long term goals? It helps to have loads. I want to help my mum lose weight because she's really jeopardising her health. I want to look better in my clothes. I want to look better full stop. I want to have more energy and be fitter. I want to be healthier. I feel guilty about eating so much when I think about people who don't have enough to eat, and I want to be more conscientious about how I live. Some selfish, some selfless - having both helps you always find a reason to keep going!

Good luck - you aren't the only one who feels this way, but loads of people do it every day and so can you!
  • jickalina
    jickalina Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm not perfect, but here is what have kept me on track since I started this journey in January:

1. Experiment with different foods until you find a healthy eating style that makes you happy, excited and fulfilled by what you eat. If you think of your new foods as a punishment you'll never be happy and you'll never stick to it. Mine is eating vegetarian/vegan (I've found some delicious recipes!) for most of the work week, then expanding my foods during the weekend/social events but always staying under cals. ANd hey, if i want ice cream once day i will, i jsut have to make it fit intro my cals!

2. Discover what floats your boat with exercising so that you are happy, excited and fulfilled by how you workout. I tried bootcamp, kickboxing, crossfit. But each one felt like a chore. Now I run, do yoga, Zumba and Pilates with a Jillian DVD thrown in every once and a while and I never miss a workout without even trying!

3. There are a lot of philosophies out there to help you mentally cope as you transition to adopting this as a true lifestyle. These are the ones that helped me: It took you your whole life to learn how to eat bad. It's going to take a while to learn how to eat well. And finally, this IS a journey. Every once and a while you will misstep, get off on the wrong exit. But when that happens do you decide, dang, oh well, I guess ill just spend the day here--or in your case, the whole week here? Or do you brush yourself off right then, reroute and get back on the road to where you're headed?

hope this helps!
  • kantoka
    kantoka Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    This sounds silly... but I want to look good naked. I want to look good in the photos I take. I want to look good and happy with myself when I look in the mirror. If I wake up everyday and look at myself and feel down.... it only pushes me to WANT to change it right then and there. I just want to look and FEEL good all the time. Bottom line. I am tired of feeling uncomfortable in my own skin. Don't know if that helps, but it helps me. =)