People who tell you to stop losing weight...

Options
124»

Replies

• pamelad77
    pamelad77 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I just point out that as a society we are so used to seeing overweight people and that has become the norm, and when someone reaches a "healthy" weight they are all too often perceived as underweight.
    Everything is relative, people are bound to make comparisons.
  • feepug
    Options
    they are probably just jealous of your progress, i would take it as a back handed compliment and use it to spur you on!
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    In response when someone says I don't need to lose anymore

I usually grab with both hands two fistfuls of flab round my belly and say "when this is gone" then grab my *kitten* and say "and when this is 3 inches higher and looks like a 19 year olds... then I'll stop" :)

However most people are just being complimentary so to save a discussion if they offer me cake I say i don't want to undo my progress and I'm trying to tone up a bit more. However I have noticed I don't get half as much crap if I explain I'm on a wedding diet and I'm trying to diet into a certain size dress.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I have had more than a few people ask when I am going to stop my weight loss, implying that I should not try to keep going. Started off at ~275 lbs, lost 50 lbs on OPTIFAST and have since lost 15 more. My personal goal is to get down to about 190 lbs. However, some of my co-workers and friends say that is too much and I should stop now. I am only 5'11", so am just now "overweight" on the BMI scale.

Anyone else have this issue? What do you say or how do you respond? Should I just "smile and nod"?

I still get this...and I haven't lost any weight since may...I just say "No worries I'm pretty sure I'm maxed out" :P

Most people make these comments because they are concerned or think you're starving yourself and you're losing weight to quickly, especially those who go long periods of time without seeing someone. Keep this in mind before wacking them over the head. Especially if you're taking a large cut in your TDEE (at which point they're probably right)
  • indygal76
    indygal76 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I get asked this all the time at work. When do you plan to stop? I just smile and say I will stop when I am happy with where I want to be. I look at it like this, we are losing weight, not them, so our weight loss is up to us! They can just say their opinions and we can just smile. lol