Marathon Newbies Group week three!!!

Options
I had an off week as in cranking out 2 crummy miles. I am glad its early in so I am going to restart my week two training again its only fair to do that. We had a winter storm that made travelling anywhere even in a truck not a wise idea unless absolutely necessary my friend visited me ferociously and knocked me into bed for a couple nights. Today was my restart of week two which should be three/four. I gotta get in the game in a big way. So I got on board and did cross training today!!!

Replies

• Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I had an off week as in cranking out 2 crummy miles. I am glad its early in so I am going to restart my week two training again its only fair to do that. We had a winter storm that made travelling anywhere even in a truck not a wise idea unless absolutely necessary my friend visited me ferociously and knocked me into bed for a couple nights. Today was my restart of week two which should be three/four. I gotta get in the game in a big way. So I got on board and did cross training today!!!

I hope you are feeling better and wish you luck on a better week.

Last week I did 9.3 miles and this week is 10.2 as a goal. This morning was light cross training as my long runs are on Sunday. Tomorrow is an easy run.
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    Last week I did 15 miles - goal was 14..this week goal is 15 with 8 mile run as my long run.

Ran 12 of the miles outside in 20 degree windchills - found if I layer up with dri fit stuff I am good to go!
  • chrissyh
    Options
    That's not an off week - it's a recovery week we'll call it! You'll get back to it this week....that's an order!
  • Chenoachem
    Options
    Did a short run this morning and it was at least in the 20s which is better than the teens. I did forget my headlamp this morning so instead of doing trails I had to stick with streets with houses. Tomorrow was going to be weights but my body is having trouble adjusting to the increased mileage so I might take an extra rest day before speed workout on wednesday.

Have a good day.
  • chrissyh
    Options
    Did a short run this morning and it was at least in the 20s which is better than the teens. I did forget my headlamp this morning so instead of doing trails I had to stick with streets with houses. Tomorrow was going to be weights but my body is having trouble adjusting to the increased mileage so I might take an extra rest day before speed workout on wednesday.

Have a good day.

I found the same thing...since I took several weeks off over the holidays...it's hard to get right back to doing it all...I've only done my strength class 1/week for last and this week for same reasons.

today is a short 2mile run but I might make it 3 - we'll see who's waiting for the treadmill...can't go at lunch and I don't own a light....yet. Chen-what do you use?
  • Chenoachem
    Options
    today is a short 2mile run but I might make it 3 - we'll see who's waiting for the treadmill...can't go at lunch and I don't own a light....yet. Chen-what do you use?

I use a Petzel headlamp I bought at a sports store (REI). It is really light weight and uses 3 AAA batteries I can change out whenever. It is LED with 3 modes, was about $20.
  • chrissyh
    Options
    Does it clip on? I kind of want something that will clip to my belt.
  • Chenoachem
    Options
    Does it clip on? I kind of want something that will clip to my belt.

I have a red flashing thing that goes on my belt but doesn't put out much light. The light I wear to see is a head lamp that wraps around my head. It is adjustable so I can wear with our without a hat.

Try http://roadid.com/Common/default.aspx
    They have some great stuff for runners so that we are safe.
  • Jessica68
    Jessica68 Posts: 2,419 Member
    Options
    Hello there, I have a half coming up in April and am new to all this running, my first 5k is in February. I've been running for about..oh maybe 2months now. Some days its more of a walk/run and sometimes its a great run day.

I've got a goal to run 18miles a week and did 23 miles last week. Can I join this group and how are you guys posting, and what?

thanks!

PS. any training/running tips you have for me are greatly appreciated.
  • chrissyh
    Options
    Welcome Jessica...wow 23 miles is great - the most mileage I've chalked up in a week is like 15...maybe 16....you're on fire!

My first half is in March. My first 5ks were this past Oct (did 3 of them)

I hope to do the 3day Komen 60 mile walk in Atlanta this year in Oct, the Komen Race for the Cure in Atlanta (May), Komen 5k Charlotte (Oct), Atlanta ING Half in March, a 4 mile military obstacle/mud run in May, MAYBE a run in Boston end of May (if I can work it out with work and money)...so those weren't in order but that's what my plans are so far.
  • Jessica68
    Jessica68 Posts: 2,419 Member
    Options
    Thanks, and keep in mind alot of mine are walking, I usually run 3 miles and then do intervals of the walk/ run .

Funny thing is this past weekend when I went to run..I struggled to get through 1 mile running! I have no idea why, I've been running 3 straight. It was odd, but I decided to not fret and just go with it and I did what I want to call some "training runs". I'm sure they are working something, especially my lungs. Anyway, I ran at a fast speed my first mile, then did a fast walk (4.0) to a fast run (6.0 or 6.5). every .10 of a mile swapping between the two speeds. Up to 3 miles.

Today I was scheduled to go run but every obstacle got in my way, so for the first time I decided to workout to a video. It was called "PERSONAL TRAIING WITH JACKIE" POWER CIRCUIT TRAINING" ..and man oh man I felt it!

But tomorrow I plan to run, been off from running since Sunday so today is my 3rd day of no running, we'll see what tomorrow brings.
  • chrissyh
    Options
    Oh - but still 23 miles is awesome. I only count the running...now mind you I may walk a few steps for water but I don't count my warm up and cool down-typically another mile or so.

Today will be 5 miles...thought it was going to warm up but windchill is high 20s so it's still pretty cold.
  • chrissyh
    Options
    Did my 5 miles - temp wise was ok in the 30s so not bad. But physically awful - I didn't eat since breakfast - stupid! I saw stars at the top of one hill....next time a little snack 1/2 hour before!
  • Chenoachem
    Options
    Did my 5 miles - temp wise was ok in the 30s so not bad. But physically awful - I didn't eat since breakfast - stupid! I saw stars at the top of one hill....next time a little snack 1/2 hour before!

Definetly need that snack before hand, especially for anything over 3 miles.

Today, here was in the 50s but my run day is tomorrow, when it is suppose to snow. Yuck.
  • Chenoachem
    Options
    Had a nice 3.1 mile run this morning. When I started it was 38 deg outside. Then, while I was out it dropped below freezing. The weather is playing tricks on me.
  • chrissyh
    Options
    I hope to get my long run in tomorrow between kids basketball games-today would have been an awesome day to run but I promised a girl at my fitness center that I'd come to step tonight....so 8 miles tomorrow...low tonight is like 38 so it should be pretty pleasant tomorrow.
  • chrissyh
    Options
    8 mile run Saturday....it was cool but nice. Every step I took after I hit 7 miles I felt like a champion because 7 was the furthest I had EVER run before! Love that feeling of accomplishment!
  • Chenoachem
    Options
    8 mile run Saturday....it was cool but nice. Every step I took after I hit 7 miles I felt like a champion because 7 was the furthest I had EVER run before! Love that feeling of accomplishment!

Awesome job. That is a great feeling.

Sunday I ran 5 miles for a total of 10.3 miles for the week. This week is a total mileage of 13 miles with the longest being 6 miles.
  • chrissyh
    Options
    My goal and what I ran last week was 15 miles .... this week 16 with 8 as long run again.
  • chrissyh
    Options
    Chen - how's the running going?

I'll have 17 miles this week....I've done 9 with 8 tomorrow.