Marathon Newbies Group week three!!!

Options

Replies

• Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    Chen - how's the running going?

I'll have 17 miles this week....I've done 9 with 8 tomorrow.

It's going well. Tuesday was a 2 mile easy run. Since it was raining I did it from work at lunch. Harder from here since it is either up the mountain or down the mountain.

Thurseday was a 5 mile speed work out that kicked my but.

Sunday is 6 miles long run. Total 13 miles for the week with a repeat next week.

Awesome on the 17miles. Have a great long run tomorrow.
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    Speedwork kicks my butt too. I wonder if I really get in what I should with it...don't know I just feel slow all the time:laugh:
  • Chenoachem
    Options
    Speedwork kicks my butt too. I wonder if I really get in what I should with it...don't know I just feel slow all the time:laugh:

I am getting something out of it definetly. My pace for my shorter runs has sped up almost 1 min per mile faster than when I started this program. It just is difficult when out there doing it.

Are you back to running more outside.
  • Chenoachem
    Options
    Another wonderful week of running coming. I am doing a planned repeat of last week for another 13 miles. However, Thursday is a tempo run.
  • SkinnyGal08
    SkinnyGal08 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    This is so awesome, I am training to hopefully run a marathon by the end of this year, I really cant wait ive came so far and have lost almost 80lbs I ran my first 5k two weeks ago and I am in march going to compete in my first 12k, I really am happy that you guys are here to motivate me this is exciting I love the adrenaline rush I get from running and you feel so great like you have accomplished something afterwards, Wish me luck and keep in touch :)
  • Jessica68
    Jessica68 Posts: 2,419 Member
    Options
    I did 11 miles last week, but this week is time for me to really get serious with my running.

I have my first 5k coming up in 2wks so Im focusing on that right now and then I'll be preparing for the 1/2 marathon that I have coming up in April.

I had a great run tonight 3.20 miles and then walked on to complete 4.50miles. But the 3.20 miles non stop was really a first for me, to go that far without walking, so it was an accomplishment and felt great!
  • Chenoachem
    Options
    I had a great run tonight 3.20 miles and then walked on to complete 4.50miles. But the 3.20 miles non stop was really a first for me, to go that far without walking, so it was an accomplishment and felt great!

It is a great thrill when you run further than you have before. Sometimes I will do a happy dance at the end of that, but you have to be careful. Those tired happy dances can be dangerous as things tend to sneak up under your feet. :)

Good Luck on the 5K. Sounds like you will do great.
  • Chenoachem
    Options
    This is so awesome, I am training to hopefully run a marathon by the end of this year, I really cant wait ive came so far and have lost almost 80lbs I ran my first 5k two weeks ago and I am in march going to compete in my first 12k, I really am happy that you guys are here to motivate me this is exciting I love the adrenaline rush I get from running and you feel so great like you have accomplished something afterwards, Wish me luck and keep in touch :)

Great job on the weight loss. A first 5K is a great accomplishment.
  • Chenoachem
    Options
    I went out and ran 4.2 miles instead of 5 today becuase I had to get to work on time and 4:30am was the earliest I was getting up. IT was a challenge with a winter storm coming in and I had to dodge tumble weed and trash cans in the heavy wind. Didn't end up being as much of a tempo run, more of a survival and I did it run.

How is everyone else doing?
  • princesspurple
    Options
    I would like to join this! I am running my first half in April. Hi Chenoachem! We have talked before! Great job on your running! I am doing about 13 miles a week right now. Today I did 3 miles in 25 minutes 30 seconds. That was on the treadmill. Sunday was a 4 mile run with hills in just under 40 minutes. I plan on doing 5 miles on Sunday. My longest run ever was 6.5 miles this past summer, but I had to take some time off. I mapped out a few longer runs yesterday, a 7, 8, 9,10, 12, and 14 mile run. I plan on trying to get them all in before 4/11! Good luck to all!
  • Chenoachem
    Options
    Last week I ran 12.3 miles. This week is 14 miles for a goal, with a long run of 7 miles.

I was going to run a 5K in Arizona next month while out there for a friends wedding. Now I can't find the website again so I am looking for a new one to do.

Happy running week.
  • chrissyh
    Options
    Last week only ran 4 miles....fell on Wednesday and had to recover...seem to be ok now. At least last week was a recovery week anyway and I would have only done 11 miles anyway per my program.

This week my goal is 18 miles-3 mile, 6 mile and 9 mile runs.

I find a lot of races on Active.com

Let's do it!
  • princesspurple
    Options
    It was freezing this weekend so I saved my 5 mile run for the treadmill, I did some 'hills' and pushed myself hard. This 1/2 that I am doing is a lot of hills-nervous about that. Walked the first 2 mins and was able to finish the total 5 miles in 46.5 minutes...so I pushed for another 1/4 mile and finished in 48 mins! I can't wait to run outside-hopefully this weekend!
  • Chenoachem
    Options
    I went out and did a 5 mile interval run in the snow this morning. I was up at 2am with a sick child too so I haven't been back to sleep yet. I am feeling pretty good so far but I think I will probably crash at some point. This morning I tried Powerbar Gel blasts on my run. They were not bad tasting and since they had a gooey middle they kept my mouth wet to make it easier to swallow. However, my stomach cramped up big time around the 4th mile and I am not sure if that is what caused it. I tried the Luna gels on Sunday and I found they were too hard to chew. They just stuck to my teeth and I spent the next mile trying to remove them. I think I am going to go back to sport beans. They dissolve fast but you have to have 4 or 5 to feel less hungry.

I hope everyone is well. Happy training.
  • chrissyh
    Options
    I completed a 9 mile run yesterday with the 1/2 mile warmup and cooldown - that was a 10 mile day!!!! I love it when I go to the next distance...feels really good! Well emotionally feels really good but my hips are a tad sore!
  • Chenoachem
    Options
    I completed a 9 mile run yesterday with the 1/2 mile warmup and cooldown - that was a 10 mile day!!!! I love it when I go to the next distance...feels really good! Well emotionally feels really good but my hips are a tad sore!

You go girl. Awesome job.
  • Chenoachem
    Options
    I finished out the week with a 7 mile run for a total of 14.3 miles this week. Next week is a rest week and I am really looking forward to it. I will be doing two 3 mile runs and one 4 mile run next week. I picked up my bike again this weekend. Did a bit using my trainer yesterday, which was good cross training. Today I am going to work with someone to get my bike road worthy for the season.

How is everyone else doing?
  • princesspurple
    Options
    Happy new week to all of you! I decided to fight the cold yesterday, very windy also! I did about 6.5 miles, and threw in 2 VERY large hills that I have never dealt with before. The run was hard to start, it started w/ a pitbull on my heals, then the wind, then my shoe untying, then a side stitch-which I NEVER get and I just couldn't get the bounce in my step. I was able to maintain an average of a 10 minute mile......not disappointed, it was probably good for me to not have the best run. I did learn I will not eat a heavy pasta lunch 2 hours prior to my run!
    My total from last week was 18 miles. I had to do my long run from the prior week also, so it made it a little more than usual.
  • Chenoachem
    Options
    How is everyone doing this week?

I am enjoying my low mileage week and getting ready to ramp it up again next week. I hit my weight loss goal this week so that has made my week also.
  • chrissyh
    Options
    Going to run a short 2 miles tonight with 10 tomorrow or Sunday-we'll see which day weather is a bit better!