70lb down, in stats and pictures.

Options
I'll quickly preface the pictures with a some background info on myself, and my "Journey".

TL:DR - I was fat, I still am, but look at my pictures anyway.

I wasn't always fat. I have a fairly rare heart defect, however it has always had relatively little effect on my day-to-day life, and when I was in school I used to play rugby league as a centre for both the school team and a local youth team. The only sport I was ever unable to compete at was distance running, so much unable that the only time that I actually did attempt it, I was very unwell for quite some time!
During a school football match in my last term of high school I suffered a nasty leg injury, and was unable to put any weight on it for several weeks and was unable to run for months, it took me out of the teams I played for and also out of the final months of PE. This, coinciding with moving schools meant that I stopped doing pretty much all exercise, and replaced it with parties and beer. I have only a vague idea of my weight at the time of my injury, but I know that at one point during university I tipped the scales at 19 and a half stone (273lb). I made only a token effort to improve my diet (I was living basically on take-outs, beer and curries), but didn't monitor my weight in any way.
Several years later (and coming to christmas 2011) I suffered from pneumonia and became quite ill for some weeks. On a visit to the doctors I was given a very blunt warning about my weight, my general fitness and they're consequences given my condition, and so started looking into diets.
I stumbled upon The Hacker Diet and although I didn't read more than the first couple of chapters, the principles it laid out became the basis for my strategy ahead - calorie counting and exercise is the easiest and most obvious way to lose weight - I also used the advice of using some form of technology to assist me , being an apple fan-boy and an iphoner, I hit the app store and downloaded MFP.
I also sold my car (it broke and I couldn't afford to fix it) and used the money to buy a pair of walking boots (it was a cheap car!).

When I weighed myself for my start weight I was 256lb - I allowed MFP to set my goals automatically, and followed them as well as i could.

I am a fairly good cook, and so modified my own recipes (mainly european and asian things, with a napalm-hot chilli con carne in there too) (and portions) to fit in with my calorie goals, and started walking regularly (an hour every other day, at first).

The walking increased (I walk home from work almost every day, now - 4.5 miles, plus the occasional hike/trek on a weekend and in the school holidays).

I've now reached the weight goal I set myself (9-10 months later) and I don't care if I never lose another pound. I am now working on changing the bits of me that are still "squidgy" (I still have man-boobs) and I've taken up swimming (I didn't have the confidence to do it until I had lost a LOT of weight).

I've lost 5 stone (70lb), as the title suggests. My jeans have gone from a 42 waist to a slightly loose 34 (sadly, my leg length is still a "short"... so no Armani for me!) My tops were xxl in generous shops (M&S, Debenhams, etc) and are now a M or L most places. My minor goal was to be able to buy clothes anywhere I wanted to, and I can now!

As a side-note, through MFP I met the most wonderful girl I could imagine, Stacy has been fantastic in keeping me sane and motivated and for giving me a confidence boost when I need it. For those reasons (among many others) I absolutely love her... it's just a shame she lives almost 4000 miles away!

Anyway... Pics!

Before
1.jpg
2.jpg

Now
1.jpg

A couple of comparisons

1.jpg
3.jpg
2.jpg

Replies

• Jenifer80
    Options
    Good job!!! Keep up the good work!! You are looking awesome!
  • jakidb
    jakidb Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    WTG!!!
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    You look great! Congrats!
  • faefaith
    faefaith Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Congrats man! Awesome accomplishment! : D
  • losinit_4_good
    losinit_4_good Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    wow! well done!
  • VanessaGS
    VanessaGS Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Amazing progress. Keep up the good work. It's crazy how dropping weight makes people look younger.
  • grinner30
    grinner30 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    You look great! Allot of hard work and perseverance. Congratulations!
  • GCLyds
    GCLyds Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Great job!!! I wouldnt think of you as fat if I saw you now, but dont stop till you are happy. :)
  • KenDubya74
    KenDubya74 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Awesome job, almost a whole different person! Keep up with the great work!
  • TravelDog14
    TravelDog14 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Great job, I especially like the photos of your huge change in the sizes of your clothing.
  • lcooke24
    lcooke24 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You look great!
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    DUDE!! You look like Saul Goodman from Breaking Bad!!!! That *kitten*'s crazy!!
    Saul_Goodman.jpg

Maybe that pic isn't the best example....google image "saul goodman" and you will see what I mean. That is just nuts!

Oh btw....great job on the weight loss. You're doing great! :D
  • ThePilotsGirl
    ThePilotsGirl Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Don't say you are still fat, silly! You look great! Amazing job! Keep up the great work!!
  • beertrollruss
    beertrollruss Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Great job! You look fantastic. I read your entire post. I bet the walking has done wonders for your overall health. As far as the man boobs, you may want to look into surgery. Up to 1/3 of the male population has this condition and sometimes surgery is the only option.
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    wow you look like a real man now! OMG! Ladies look out! No seriously your before photos look like the obese teens that come over my house to hang out. They all have that big puffy baby face. Then when they suddenly sprout up and as I call it grown into their weight they look mature and more adult. YOu certainly went from having that babyish face to looking more adult. Looking good!!:flowerforyou:
  • sbowl
    sbowl Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Very inspirational story - thanks for sharing!
  • jennifox63
    jennifox63 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Great story and journey and you look fantastic!
  • RabiaQureshi
    RabiaQureshi Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    looking good man :) thumbs up for ur courage ....
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    That's incredible. (I took the tl;dr version.) Congrats on the 70lb loss and awesome transformation!
  • MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Great work, give yourself a lot of credit, you deserve it!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!