What would you tell yourself in the beginning?

Options
If today you could go back and tell yourself something in the beginning of your weight loss journey or lifestyle change...what would it be?
To not do this or that? To do something specific? To remember something?

I would tell myself when I first started to want to get healthy over a year ago:

Don't be afraid of losing your shape! (I used to not want to work out because I was terrified of losing my curvy girl looks) Define your curves with healthy habits!

WATER!

Really, truly, give up soda.

Don't take out things completely, moderation in food!

Waking up earlier really isn't that bad.

I gave up before because of some of things and excuses I made up on my own and now I am back on track (or trying at least!)

What would you tell you?

Replies

• MissShyloh
    Options
    bump
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    The rules do actually apply to me.

I was in denial that I had to actually eat better and exercise to lose weight. As if I had some kind of magical short cut that made the rule not apply to me. LOL

I think it's called being in denial. :blushing:
  • jorge21rodriguez
    Options
    Imagine that day when you can finally say I did it! When all the hard work finally pays off, its so so worth it! So keep going and dont quit
  • Mathguy1
    Mathguy1 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    This applies to when I first started exercising and lifting weights 4 years ago (when I initially dropped to 172):

Lose the diet soda. I dont care if it says 0 calories, it'll leave you bloated and it'll increase your sugar cravings.

Drink more water.

The people who lift in the gym are not steroid infused meatheads. You'll discover that they are some of the nicest people you'll ever meet. Most are always happy to answer short questions you may have (Keep the questions brief. After all, they are there to work out too). I've had an easier time asking about exercises and using correct form in my gym than I've had asking someone at a gas station for directions!!!

Dont be afraid to push yourself in the gym. You'll be surprised about the limits your body can achieve.

Be patient. You didn't develop this out of shape body overnight, you wont fix it overnight either.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Don't start out on so low of a calorie total......not worth it when your hair starts falling out :sad:

It will take longer than you think, but it's still more worth it than you could have imagined!
  • GCLyds
    GCLyds Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    When I was first starting out, and I didnt feel like exercising, I would tell myself, "Just 10 minutes, if I feel like quitting after 10 min I can." Who quits 10 min into a workout? I never did. If I was 10 min in, I just finished, since I was moving anyway.

I dont have something I would go back and change per se, just something I found that really helped get moving when I really didnt want to.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Would have told my self to learn basic nutrition and macro's before going and exercising with a bad diet. Now that I have graduated college in 2010 and have taken basic nutrition I feel the first few years were kind of futile.
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    1. Don't drink your calories (sugary drinks are a big weakness).

2. Keep the long-term in the back of your mind, but don't focus on it. Needing to lose 70(ish) pounds is overwhelming. Don't think about that. Think about today and think about your next weigh-in in 2 weeks. A loss of at least 2 pounds is a win, and 2 pounds is doable.

I could have started so much sooner than I did if I'd kept those 2 things in mind.
  • JenKillough
    JenKillough Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty happy with my approach and my results. I think it worked well. I'd probably warn myself that MFP is completely addictive though! :D
  • Janet9906
    Janet9906 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Focus more on weight training!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Don't stop.
  • Heyyleigh
    Heyyleigh Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    You can do this, day 1 is the hardest, the first weekend is harder. Learn patience! Now I am in month 5 and 30 pds lighter. SO HAPPY I stuck it out and didnt cave. I too am addicted to MFP nad I am addicted to my fitbit. Now I walk about 70 miles a week, I am also addicted to that. So all is great here.
  • squirrelythegreat
    squirrelythegreat Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    If I could go back to the beginning? I would tell myself then to go back further and kick myself in the butt earlier.
  • Starbuck2020
    Starbuck2020 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Just because you could drink all the time and be skinny when you were younger doesn't mean you can now. The ice cream does not taste better than getting healthy. When it feels difficult, it means you're doing it right.
    haha
  • mikey1976
    mikey1976 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    don't let your emotions get the better of you and stay away from the sweets like i did for six months
  • kayc6670
    Options
    Make yourself and exercise a priority and don't call your new lifestyle a diet. If you want a cupcake, eat ONE! Make sugar free cupcakes instead of regular. Stop drinking Diet or regular soda. Find exercise that you really enjoy, for me it's water aerobics, swimming laps and riding bikes with my girls.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    If I could go back to the beginning? I would tell myself then to go back further and kick myself in the butt earlier.
    Yep.

And that it will take longer than you/I want and feel better than you/I expect.
  • nikinyx6
    nikinyx6 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I'd say

Chill the Fk out Nicole! You can't just go from putine and pizza to turnip, carrots and tofu overnight!

GO TO THE PARTY! Don't restrict your life because of food and drink

Slow Down! Couch to 5K should not happen overnight!

Oh, that 'friend' doesn't support your journey? Get rid of them now, and save yourself the trouble later..

Many things, and I'm only 3 months into this :)
  • geonbaeLeilee
    geonbaeLeilee Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty happy with my approach and my results. I think it worked well. I'd probably warn myself that MFP is completely addictive though! :D

MFP IS addictive!
  • reesa418
    Options
    come on!! get up and move!!! once you start you find there are others out there with the same goals...not everyone will try to drag you down! you can be someone else's motivation!