What would you tell yourself in the beginning?

Options

Replies

• TravelDog14
    TravelDog14 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    -There are no shortcuts, quick fixes, powders, or miracle pills to lose weight.

-When you feel too tired to work out, tell yourself you'll do it for 5 minutes. Once you've started the tiredness and exhaustion seem to fade.

-Weigh/measure everything that passes your lips.
  • reesa418
    Options
    I'm pretty happy with my approach and my results. I think it worked well. I'd probably warn myself that MFP is completely addictive though! :D

definately addictive!!!
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    I would tell myself to eat more, watch my protein & lift! Don't be a cardio bunny!
    I prob would look much better at my weight if I had done those things.
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    If I could go back to the beginning? I would tell myself then to go back further and kick myself in the butt earlier.
    Yep.

And that it will take longer than you/I want and feel better than you/I expect.

All of this! I would make myself start losing after high school, before I was overweight, before the stretch marks! I would look amazing by now. I thought when I started this a yr ago that I would be where I wanted in a yr, boy was I wrong. It takes longer than u think.
  • Maddi_InBetweenDays
    Options
    Make your strength training progressive, challenge yourself with it. Cardio burns the fat on the old body, lifting builds the body you want.
  • j1wright
    j1wright Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    This doesn't have to be such an emotional journey. Don't cry, because you can do it, and in fact you can do better than you ever thought you could.

Also, excerise can be fun, zumba anyone?
  • shammxo
    shammxo Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    LIFT THE ****ING WEIGHTS.

EAT THE ****ING FOOD.
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    I always plan to lose for summer, but really pick up momentum after summer ends! lol I really need to be more focused in spring.
  • jmv2012
    jmv2012 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Love your response!
  • Stompp
    Stompp Posts: 216
    Options
    Focus more on weight training!

This, I lost 80 pounds on diet and cardio alone, and now I"m going to spend years getting that muscle back that I could have just held on to... :sad:
  • chefswife1975
    chefswife1975 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    That the free day really does make a huge difference getting through the rest of the days. Those first 20 minutes of exercise might be brutal, but once you get past them it feels fantastic! This really is a lifestyle change and fad diets do NOT work. It is okay to fall off the wagon, as long as you realize tomorrow is another day.
  • amanda_ataraxia
    amanda_ataraxia Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    You can do this.

I doubted myself at first that I really could do this. I told myself I'd start running and exercising every day, but I never really believed I could.

I had an epiphany one day when I was running and I was listening to a song. The lyrics go,"Never better than now, There will never be a better time than now."
    And it is so true. It doesn't matter if you have failed in the past or how many times you've tried to do this, there is never a better time than the present to change those things and try to right what you've done wrong.
  • corpus_validum
    corpus_validum Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Stop reading MFP boards. LOL.

There's some good advice sprinkled within tons of nonsense, noise and varying topics that may distract you from the basic MFP approach that works, which is watch what you eat (i.e. consume less) and move more. Yes, it is that simple. No need to over-complicate it.
  • innocenceportrayed
    Options
    Don't give up.

Drink water. It's your friend.

You didn't get this way in a day, you wont lose it in a day.

Ask questions.

Trust your body, you know it better than anyone else.

Save gas, burn calories.
  • embracingmycurves
    Options
    I would tell myself that I can do anything that I put my mind to. Do not give up on yourself.
  • honey_bee_keysha
    honey_bee_keysha Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Don't drink your calories.
  • Crissena
    Crissena Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I told myself it was a journey of learning how to eat and breaking addictions. I knew that everything else had failed and that this was it, I had to make it work for me and my family!! With much prayer and being addicted to MFP :) I am 2.5 pounds away from my goal!! It feels so great to not count on a diet plan or pill to lose weight, I know I am in control!!!

url=http://www.myfitnesspal.com/weight-loss-ticker]11972893.png[/url]
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • spikefoot
    Options
    Don't over complicate, stick to the basics.
  • Jolene8992
    Jolene8992 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    There is no magic pill. Either lose the weight, or your gonna die!
  • Sheckypie
    Options
    If today you could go back and tell yourself something in the beginning of your weight loss journey or lifestyle change...what would it be?
    To not do this or that? To do something specific? To remember something?

I would tell myself when I first started to want to get healthy over a year ago:

Don't be afraid of losing your shape! (I used to not want to work out because I was terrified of losing my curvy girl looks) Define your curves with healthy habits!

WATER!

Really, truly, give up soda.

Don't take out things completely, moderation in food!

Waking up earlier really isn't that bad.

I gave up before because of some of things and excuses I made up on my own and now I am back on track (or trying at least!)

What would you tell you?

hahahaha I LOVE IT AND I WOULD TELL MYSELF THE SAME!!!!!!!!