Is there a different milk for me out there??

Options
124»

Replies

• LiliWray
    LiliWray Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Stay away from Soy Milk, it is not good for you. Coconut milk is the best alternative milk out there. Jillian Michaels is always banging on about it in her podcasts :)

I love chocolate Soy Milk. Coconut contains healthy fat. I don't agree that soy is bad for you unless you're allergic to it. Tofu is a soy product and it is a healthy protein to add to your diet.

It's not necessarily bad for you. A lot of it potentially can be because soy has estrogen in it.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    Stay away from Soy Milk, it is not good for you. Coconut milk is the best alternative milk out there. Jillian Michaels is always banging on about it in her podcasts :)

I love chocolate Soy Milk. Coconut contains healthy fat. I don't agree that soy is bad for you unless you're allergic to it. Tofu is a soy product and it is a healthy protein to add to your diet.

soy isn't good for you.
    you don't have to be allergic. It has anti-nutritive properties.
  • BarbaraC47
    BarbaraC47 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    There are tons of different milks on the market these days. Almond, soy, coconut, rice, etc. Check out any large supermarket or health food store.

Skim milk has a much different taste and texture than thicker milk. What milk did you grow up drinking that you didn't like? skim, 1%, 2% or homoginized(sp)? All have different thickness, tastes and such.

I was forced to drink full cream milk that was curdled when I was 5 - ever since then I can't bear to put it in my mouth let alone swallow... I just want to throw up thinking about it. I have several big phobias am working on them, not much luck so far but I thought this one might be a little easier to handle...
  • rotill
    rotill Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    If the idea is to get over a phobia, there are a few directions to go.

1: You can drink things that are similar to milk in texture and colour, but isn't milk, such as soy, almond, rice or other types of non-dairy milk, and try to get used to the way it looks and feels.

2: You can drink regular milk, but mix it up so it doesn't taste like milk: put it in coffee, in cocoa, mix it with cereals so you can focus on the cereal, not the milk, etc.

3: Try other, related milk products, like have whipped cream on berries or fruit, where the cream just enhances other tastes, try youghurt, which feels and tastes very different from milk, and eat very soft cheese: ricotta, mascarpone, etc. All of this to get used to the idea of milk without actually drinking it.

Getting over a phobia and feeling a sense of achievement is however the only reason why you need to do this. If you get enough calcium and calium from other sources, you don't need milk. If you worry, have a word with your doctor, and you can have pills which give you what you need to maintain the strength of your bones.

Good luck!
  • NulliAmaroq
    Options
    Almond Milk is great! 60 Calories and it is entirely lactose free. The Almond Milk Vanilla is great also and it taste great in coffee.

Sorry I'm too lazy to read through the other posts if Almond Milk is already suggested.
  • xNJAx
    xNJAx Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    try almond milk or coconut milk.

soy is worthless.

Why is soy worthless?

unfermented soy contains trypsin inhibitors which block the absorption of protein. so there's literally no point in consuming it. you're stopping your body from using nutrients properly. soy is trash.

Oh right, thanks. I had no idea. Looks like I'll be searching for an alternative as well then! :)