Question for you successful people

Options

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    IMO, cheat days/meals are:

1) for people who need an excuse to eat what they want when they want
    2) for people who haven't figured out how to balance foods they like with their calorie/macro goals.

#1 is bad. #2 takes practice and is, IMO, the key to long term success.
  • Brittany3914
    Brittany3914 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I don't have cheat meals or cheat days. Some people think, "Oh, I worked really hard last week and I'm having a stressful day.. I'm going to binge and not track it."

If people can have that mentality and still achieve their goals, that is great. I'm not here to pass judgement. I just don't operate that way. I've never been an emtional eater. I make room for everything - wine, cheese, pizza, etc.

The secret isn't WHAT you eat. It's HOW MUCH of it you eat. Moderation is key to everything.

I feel like I'm speaking in cliches now. The bottom line is do whatever is best for you and your body. What helped Joe Schmo lose 10 pounds might not necessarily help you.
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Forget the cheat days, you're only cheating yourself!
  • FITnFIRM4LIFE
    FITnFIRM4LIFE Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I dont call it cheat...I have free day every Sunday, Have for a year and 1/2. I do not log and do not count. I don't just eat all day(maybe sometimes) I eat very well and exercise and weightlift regularly,all week, every week. Sundays have always been open. I have maintained my weight loss over a year. It may not work for some, It works for me. Anything I have craved all week,I know Sunday is around the corner. Some may not agree with this either, But, I bank 1/2 my cals burned all week to offset Sunday.

This is just what I do, and it works. You have to find what works for you.You can easily eat healthy and fit in foods you crave or like into your daily cals too.

Good luck:-)
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    My "cheat" days are weekends, but I don't really you know, have a free for all and just eat whatever I want and however much I want of it. I had pretty good eating habits before I started MFP. But I typically will allow myself a thing or two on a weekend that I might not allow during the week.
  • shrinkinmama27
    shrinkinmama27 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Friend me and read my blogs...I'm all about eating REAL food and losing weight :-)
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Am I successful? Erm... I dunno yet. But, am on my way.

Cheat days only cheat yourself really. I mean, its okay to go over a day or two by small amounts sure... but why totally blow it one day and just pretend it won't slow you down?

Accountability, stability, and maintainability are the keys.
  • Thundermtn
    Options
    Another interesting question. Cheat days. Hmmm. I dont ever have a "cheat day". But, some days I dont eat exactly the right foods. Look, you have to find the balance between obtaining your goals yet still enjoying life. I recently had a conversation with someone about sweet tooth problems. He said, I could never look like you because I get a sweet tooth in the evening that makes me eat a big slice of cake, or a handful of M&M's. I informed him, I also have a sweet tooth. But you have to find the balance. My trick in that scenario, is to get a hershey's mini candy bars (dark chocolate) and a scoop of healthy peanut butter. Tastes great, satisfies the desire.. yet doesn't take its toll.

So what does this mean as far as cheat days? Well, What it means for me,, is go out and enjoy your life. Even at a restaurant learn to satisfy the desire, but not over-indulge. Drink lots of water.. Find the tasty, yet healthy food options. Instead of a big Winter Ale beer, find a low cal beer, or a coors light... ?

I dont know.. just my thoughts.. Like I say, we have to find the balance and enjoy life. If you are just going to feel that getting fit is a chore and punishment, you will most likely stray from it and fail in the long run... This is all about the LONG GAME.

My goodness... I am ranting.. someone kick me off the soap box.
  • techsupreme
    techsupreme Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I don't cheat. If I want pizza, I make a healthy one using whole wheat flour. I want ice cream, I eat a skinny cow. Want a candy bar? How about a protein bar. Works for me.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Like I say, we have to find the balance and enjoy life. If you are just going to feel that getting fit is a chore and punishment, you will most likely stray from it and fail in the long run... This is all about the LONG GAME.

winner!
  • Anon4678
    Options
    Not sure I'm totally successful yet, but here's my 2 cents. I try to avoid cheat days. I find that it turns into a cheat week, cheat month, cheat year. Instead, I'll plan my exercise/calories out if I know there's an event with lots of tasty foods on the horizon. If I'm having a hellacious day, I'll allow myself one "wallowing" meal (portion-controlled) and then do something active for the endorphin kick. Typically, I try to just fit in what I want calorie-wise. If it doesn't fit, time to hit the gym or put the food down and back away.

Feel free to send a friend request if you'd like! :smile:
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    If you do have a cheat day....make it a cheat "meal"....not an entire day of cheating/bad choices.
    :)
  • MargaretWalks
    MargaretWalks Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I eat whatever I want. I just don't keep things around the house I might want. If we want Ice Cream we go out for it. Etc. In 4 years of working on losing just over 80 pounds I find it is best to not plan on cheating.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I don't do cheat days. But I allow treats whenever I want them within my calorie budget. And I might eat low a few days before and after a social event where I give myself permission to eat up at special occasion.

You don't have to eat your calorie allowance every day. It's okay to skip meals even breakfast if you want. You don't have to eat six meals a day. Those are all myths.

I found just ignoring all the complicated stuff everyone throws at us is the key. Day in and day out focus on two things. Eat less, move more, stay within calorie budget (either weekly or daily). You can eat low one day and high the next, whatever you want. Well, it did work for me. I am the fittest, leanest, strongest, and most muscular I've ever been in my life at age 51 and I'm healthy and don't get sick and have long endurance.

If you have a lot of body fat reserves you would be surprised at how little you can eat (unless you have emotional eating issues or disorders). The leaner you get the less your body has to draw from and then you have to taper up your calories. There is no such thing as starvation mode for women over 12% body fat or men over 6% body fat. I am a living breathing example of that. I went from obese to now under 12% BF and I've maintained for one year and built muscle the whole time. You don't BUILD muscle in starvation mode, so I proved that theory wrong. And I do have the material backed with scientific evidence for that statement as well.
  • augiedad
    Options
    Why plan to fail? If you have a slip up deal with It. If you feel your food plan needs cheat days and slip up meals; it is probably to restrictive. IMHO you need to eat whatever you like in MODERATION.
  • Pangui
    Pangui Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I try to never cheat. That doesn't mean that sometimes I won't give into temptation, or perhaps I have to eat out and there aren't any ideal options. Or sometimes, I may be celebrating a birthday, like mine, and I want to indulge a little. There are far too many holidays and opportunities to overindulge. If I added in planned cheat days, then I would be just as fat as I used to be.

I always try to get back into my good habits immediately after straying. Don't wait until the weekend is over or even the next day. Try to eat right the very next meal. I don't buy the whole moderation argument. It's better to strive for perfection and then be kind to yourself when it doesn't quite go that way. "Just keep swimming".
  • gaiareeves
    gaiareeves Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Just don't consider things cheats!

It's as much about portion control as it is about what you eat. If I want a candy bar, I'll eat a candy bar. Every day if I feel like it. The difference is, instead of buying a big family pack and eating the whole thing in one go like I used to, I now buy one small bar (less than 150 calories), eat that, and am satisfied.

It's not about denying yourself to the point you feel like you have to cheat. It's about getting the balance right so you can eat what you want but still keep your weight and health in check.

I went on vacation back in August, and ate things like crepes and ice cream every day. I also drank a lot of alcohol. But I also walked a lot, went swimming, hiking, and did various other active things. I came back from vacation weighing exactly the same as when I'd left.

It's proof that you CAN eat the things you like, you just have to balance it out. If I want a slice of cake, I'll have a slice of cake, I just know that later on I'll either have to eat less for dinner, or exercise more to balance it out.
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    First, I don't call it cheating. There are days that are more successful than others, sometimes by choice, sometimes by circumstance. But this is not a temporary diet, it is a lifestyle.

Second, I don't ever plan for them. They happen frequently enough all by themselves. Either from holidays, family events, work events, kids events, kids getting to pick meals at times, etc. Therefore, why plan to go over on calories on a particular day as a matter of habit? That's just eating for the sake of eating, which is what we are all trying to avoid.

My goal everyday is to stay within my calorie goals. Some days I choose to miss. Some days I just feel run down and need more energy and go over. Some days I just done show good control and I miss. But I don't ever start the day saying I'm going over today, or going over at a meal today just because I planned it.
  • Yummamamma
    Yummamamma Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I try to aim for my calorie goal. I dont really think of the days I go over as cheat days. I am not on a diet, I am changing my lifestyle.If I am really legit hungry, I will go over. I still enjoy a bevvy or a few bevvys from time to time. (wayyyy less than I was once consuming)...and I dont feel guilty. If you keep on track, log EVERYTHING, the weight will come off!

If I have to go out to eat, I look for the healthiest option on the menu and look for ways to improve it. (example - no cheese, cheese on the side, oil and vinegar dressing on the side, grilled instead of fried...) Often times I still feel like I am cheating. (and am still satisfied)...
  • simplyeater
    simplyeater Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    What is "cheating"? Going over your daily calories? Or eating certain foods? Not really sure what your definition is...

I aim to stay at my daily calorie allowance everyday. You can earn as many extra calories as you need through exercise so there really isn't ever a reason to go over (not saying that I've never gone over, cause I have, I just never do it on purpose). If you consider eating certain types of food cheating then that is easier. If it fits into your daily macros and you want it that badly then just eat it. Over time you'll find that you'd rather eat a full, satisfying day of healthy foods rather than blow it all on one indulgent meal. At least most of the time:)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!