Question for you successful people

Options

Replies

• TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I do not call it a cheat because honestly, the only person I cheat on is myself. I do call it a treat day because I do let myself go over once in awhile, I do believe it is good for me to do this, I've yet to hit a plateau, and I think this is why. I've worked so hard why not treat yourself once in awhile? I only do this though like once every other week, sometimes as long as once a month. Only when I feel my body needs it.Normally the week before my monthly is when I fall on my face so I aim for that week to slip up.

Learn your weaknesses and try to avoid them, what I mean is, it's ok to have chocolate but for me I cannot eat donuts or cheese cake because it taunts me all day long. I can't allow myself to have just 1, I need more then that. As long as I've had some and I'm around it after having a little, I end up caving into more. So I try and keep myself away from it all together. I don't believe in depriving myself but I'm not going to torture myself either.
  • nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I found in the past that one cheat day would take me an entire week to get back to the weight I was that day. Not worth it!

What I do now is make sure I have enough calories at the end of the day to have my couple pieces of chocolate every night. I've switched from milk to dark. For crunchy, salty cravings, I've found low cal 'crispy' items and dip in a bit of low cal artichoke and asiago dip. I am a major snacker, would rather eat snacks all day, not meals so I've substituted with healthier options and actually prefer these items now.

Also, if you really crave a breakfast sandwich or fast food burger, plan to have just that (no fries), for one meal of the day, then eat super clean for the rest of the day. You can even take one of the buns off to reduce the cals and carbs a bit more. You can still enjoy these foods within reason and stay on your plan. I've really learned that moderation is the key. If I can't fit it in my cals for the day, then I tell myself I can have it tomorrow. I usually don't want it by then. :)

I always keep everything within my calories for the day, so basically I have what feels like a tiny cheat everyday, and I don't crave the BIG cheat day anymore.
  • lindsiswatchingyou
    Options
    Another interesting question. Cheat days. Hmmm. I dont ever have a "cheat day". But, some days I dont eat exactly the right foods. Look, you have to find the balance between obtaining your goals yet still enjoying life. I recently had a conversation with someone about sweet tooth problems. He said, I could never look like you because I get a sweet tooth in the evening that makes me eat a big slice of cake, or a handful of M&M's. I informed him, I also have a sweet tooth. But you have to find the balance. My trick in that scenario, is to get a hershey's mini candy bars (dark chocolate) and a scoop of healthy peanut butter. Tastes great, satisfies the desire.. yet doesn't take its toll.

So what does this mean as far as cheat days? Well, What it means for me,, is go out and enjoy your life. Even at a restaurant learn to satisfy the desire, but not over-indulge. Drink lots of water.. Find the tasty, yet healthy food options. Instead of a big Winter Ale beer, find a low cal beer, or a coors light... ?

I dont know.. just my thoughts.. Like I say, we have to find the balance and enjoy life. If you are just going to feel that getting fit is a chore and punishment, you will most likely stray from it and fail in the long run... This is all about the LONG GAME.

My goodness... I am ranting.. someone kick me off the soap box.

I agree with this...I have something sweet most days. I've learned that I will fail if I'm overly restrictive. I love food and want to enjoy every meal, so I try to blanace it out. I'm still working on it...but I can say I never deprive my cravings and I'm managing ot maintain a really healthy weight/body/lifestyle.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    What is "cheating"? Going over your daily calories? Or eating certain foods? Not really sure what your definition is...

I interpret as "I'm going to eat however much I want of whatever I want, and I don't care about cals/macros for this meal/day."
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I have periodic mental health days. Usually every 2 weeks, but sometimes I wait longer. When I crave something that I know is not something that I should be eating, I tell myself that "I can have that. Just not now." Sometimes, when my MHD comes around I don't even feel like indulging.

Maybe it's because I'm so far overweight to begin with, but this has worked for me. However, you are unique like everybody else and your mileage may vary.

BTW: I ALWAYS log everything I eat on a mental health day to the best of my ability.
  • Flawless_K
    Flawless_K Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    You'll hear lots of theories, but IMHO, put items into your daily menu plan that seem like cheats, but fit into your calories. That way, you never really have to have a cheat day or slip up meal. It is going to happen occasionally, but if you plan for it, it will kill your weight loss.

Good luck!

I agree...planning for it doesn't encourage you getting out of the habit of eating those type of foods in the first place. Isn't that the goal anyway? What's the point of losing weight when all the way you have the same "cheating" eating habits? You'd just end up where you started eventually. Cheating has a sort of snowballing effect doesn't it?
  • Flawless_K
    Flawless_K Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I don't think the fact that one meal won't make you gain one pound is the point, I think it's more or less not continuing the same eating habits that got us ALL here in the first place.
  • 1holegrouper
    1holegrouper Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Think of calories as money. If you want an over priced luxury item you either save up for it or you know you will have to make payments on it for a while. A better approach to planned cheat days/meals are to just leave them to the times that are nearly unavoidable- like vacations or some holiday situations. Even then, develop a strategy to pay for it. I would also do this. Take a casual look at folks that are 100% gung ho on cheat days/meals and then take a look at people who are the opposite. On one you will see people who are generally fat. On the other you will see people who look generally fit. Most people, like me, take a hybrid approach and do fine.
  • Tamisha15
    Tamisha15 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I agree with most of everyone when they say "Don't plan cheat days". It wouldn't make any sense when your trying to wean yourself off of certain foods and develop a healthier lifestyle. As a new person just take it day by day and log your calories no matter what. As long as you stay active and continue to be mindful of what you eat, the results will show. I'm doing a new tough workout class and it reminds me that I never wanna go through this again, so pizza looks alot more disgusting when I think about how hard I have to work to burn it off!!
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I don't have a "cheat day" I just eat how I want most days. Rarely go over my calorie allowance or maintenance
  • DonniesGirl69
    DonniesGirl69 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I didn't have cheat when I first started. I had 100 pounds to lose and, personally, no meal was worth setting myself back once I started going.

Now that I'm in maintenance, I don't hvae cheat "days" but I do induldge occasionally in an old favorite meal, like fettucinni alfredo or a treat like a big slice of cheesecake....but I still make sure they fit into my daily calories.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I need a plan for a "cheat day" (was thinking of keeping this once a week) and a "slipup meal" (for when it happens).

I am still a beginner but I know they are going to happen. Might as well set a cheat day so I stay on track most days looking forward to that day and have a plan for when I slip.

Thoughts? Ideas? What works well for you?

I don't like cheat days......or cheat meals. Fit it into your macros.......work out more. Feel free to look at my diary. There is a lot of "cheating"
  • Terree83
    Options
    I have posted this before, but it's something that I live by because it makes sense and it works.

I read from Jillian Michael's that you should practice the 80/20 rule. Make 80% of the calories you take in everyday come from healthy, good-for-you food like proteins, vegetables, fruits, whole grains, etc. Use the other 20% to fill your "cravings".. for instance.. I ALWAYS crave something sweet after lunch when I'm sitting at my desk. I make sure that I reserve 100-120 cals to have a few M&Ms or a mini-Twix, or something that I know will satisfy me enough to get rid of that craving for chocolate. Since I let myself do that when I need to, I don't get those cravings nearly as much as I used to! Plus, it hasn't had a negative effect on the scale :)

Just a thought..
  • sunshinelady512
    sunshinelady512 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    First of all, don't think of it as "cheating". What I try to do is when I know I'm going to be going out to eat or will be attending a special event, I plan for it ahead of time by cutting back a little bit for a few days prior to save up calories so I will have them available. Or, if something unexpected comes up and I end up going over, I cut back a little on the next couple days to make up for it. You don't want to go TOO far over your goals, though, because trying to get back on track will be that much more difficult. But if you do have a bad day every once in a while, don't let it discourage you!

Another thing I wanted to mention is not to tell yourself that you CAN'T have a particular favorite food because it's "bad" for you. Instead, have a small portion and fit it into your calorie allowance. For instance, I have a weakness for cheesecake and I occasionally allow myself either to have a small slice or split one with someone else so I satisfied my craving but didn't derail my weight loss progress.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I still eat everything I love, whenever I feel like I need to eat it... I just have smaller portions.

I had a cookie today after breakfast. Back in the old days I would have had three or four cookies.. but I really just wanted to taste the cookie, not get 'full' on them. I put it in my diary, and make adjustments to my meal plans as needed, and live life like a normal person.

You're gonna have to tinker with what works best for you. Remember, this is for life, so however you work it out, it's gotta be something you're willing to keep up FOR. EV. ER.
  • NiSan12
    NiSan12 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I give myself a cheat day once a week. If I really go over my cals, I just know that I will have to cut back the next day or I need to work out a little longer. Balance it to suit your needs. You will feel better overall.
  • NiSan12
    NiSan12 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I have posted this before, but it's something that I live by because it makes sense and it works.

I read from Jillian Michael's that you should practice the 80/20 rule. Make 80% of the calories you take in everyday come from healthy, good-for-you food like proteins, vegetables, fruits, whole grains, etc. Use the other 20% to fill your "cravings".. for instance.. I ALWAYS crave something sweet after lunch when I'm sitting at my desk. I make sure that I reserve 100-120 cals to have a few M&Ms or a mini-Twix, or something that I know will satisfy me enough to get rid of that craving for chocolate. Since I let myself do that when I need to, I don't get those cravings nearly as much as I used to! Plus, it hasn't had a negative effect on the scale :)

Just a thought..

THIS IS GOOD
  • MrsB123111
    MrsB123111 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I really try not to do "cheat days". If I know I have an event or special dinner, I try to plan my day accordingly. For instance, tonight, we are going out for my husband's birthday with some friends. I pre-logged all my food and exercise for the day, including what I plan to order tonight to be sure it fits in my macros.

I also have a motto... If I am craving something, and it fits in my daily macros, I will allow myself to have it. No need to make yourself go crazy with deprivation. For instance, I LOVE peanut butter cups! My boss keeps a jar of them on his desk and they stare at me all day long! If I really want one, I have one. It's all about balance and moderation.
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Options

I don't cheat, it doesn't work for me. But then again, I eat anything I want in moderation.

Best solution? Exercise more and give yourself the extra calories so you don't have to cheat or slip up.

^^ This. If there is something I am REALLY craving I have it. In moderation. I love working out and building up extra credit
    for calories so I can have that brownie I made last night. Mm mm Mm!
  • sundaysurf
    sundaysurf Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation. Fit it into your daily allowance. Life is tough and someday you will go above and beyond your daily limit. We workout and eat healthy most of the time so every once in awhile we can indulge (special occasion) and enjoy the finer things in life. I enjoy eating healthy. It makes me feel good but I also love a piece of birthday cake with ice cream. If I am at your birthday and eating cake and ice cream that means you mean a lot to me. If it is a birthday party for one of my friends kids I don't know, I don't eat it.

If you need a cheat meal once a week to stay on track, do it. Look at the big picture and figure out what works for you. What works for someone who is further along in their healthy life style journey may not work for you at this time. Keep up the good work and you will figure it out.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!