Success to hopefully keep you going! :)

Options
TamTastic
TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
Hey guys!

I have been around here for awhile, though a bit quiet lately due to a lot going on in my life. Some know me and some don't. I have posted pics before but I wanted to post a fresh topic after receiving an email from someone requesting a before photo. I know that my story and success can help to keep others going. I was at that point...where the thought of losing so much weight seems impossible. I had also tried everything I could think of. Well, everything except being sensible and educating myself to how the body works. :) Since I did that, it has become almost effortless to keep it up. Yes, it does take work and effort..but it can become as second nature as brushing your teeth if you let it.

I started my lifestyle change in Sept of 2007 at 270 lbs.

In 16 months, I lost 135 lbs to reach 135 lbs. I reached my goal weight last January.

The same week I reached my goal weight, I found out I was pregnant with my 2nd child. I maintained a healthy lifestyle through that. Talk about a test!! I had my 2nd baby boy on Sept 4th.

Anyway...pictures are worth a thousand words. So, here you go! :happy:

YOU CAN DO THIS!! TRUST ME! :)

BEFORE:
Easter of 2007
l_cb7baebd8fe7ee2a575aa9716620d4-1.jpg

August, 2007 - 2 weeks before starting my "change"
l_e2258b5ff04b4d583995d45ed37bc5-1.jpg

AFTER (after 2nd pregnancy too):
December 11th, 2009
PicsinDecember019-1-1.jpg

December 12th, 2009 - At a Christmas party! :)
15d6uc7-1.jpg

Replies

• debnu1
    debnu1 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    All I can say is you are just awesome!! Thanks for sharing I needed a boost today :flowerforyou:
  • Hemis_mom
    Hemis_mom Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Thank you for being such an inspiration! Happy Holidays to you and yours
  • acrylicrocks
    Options
    Congrats again! You are amazing. You were a pretty girl before, but you are absolutely stunning now! Good for you! I really needed that today! :flowerforyou:
  • atauds
    atauds Posts: 41
    Options
    Congratulations! You look absolutely wonderful!
    Thanks for keeping me motivated!
  • debnu1
    Options
    What would you say are your three biggest secrets? Was it logging, the type of food you ate or exercise. I am rather curious...:bigsmile:
  • Hopey1994
    Options
    What a change! You literally lost half of yourself! Thank you SO much for the motivation, it's very much needed.
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    Tam, glad to see you around again! :bigsmile:

You look awesome... how's that little bundle of joy doing?
  • oregonlady
    oregonlady Posts: 2,743 Member
    Options
    you are a great inspiration!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    just what i needed.

thank you:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • TamTastic
    Options
    What would you say are your three biggest secrets? Was it logging, the type of food you ate or exercise. I am rather curious...:bigsmile:
    Hmm, it's hard to limit it down to three because it was just about changing so much. I started with one thing and got used to that and then worked on something else. I didn't put too much pressure on myself. I just took it a day or a week at a time and focused on the smaller losses. I mean, time is going to go by anyway right? Even if you're losing weight slow and healthy...at least you are doing THAT and not staying the same or even gaining. And trust me, the time passes much quicker than you think it will and before long, those small, healthy losses add up.

But here are three things that really helped ME. :):flowerforyou:

1. Weighing/measuring food. By doing this, you realize just how insane your former portions are and just why you had a problem. By learning exactly what a tablespoon is or what 4 ounces of meat is, you will truly start gaining control of it. And then logging every tablespoon as well.

2. The type of food. I started paying attention to how my body felt after eating certain things. For example, if I make a whole grain english muffin, egg whites, 2 % cheese and a bit of salsa for breakfast, that will keep me going for HOURS. However, if I eat a sugary cereal, I will be hungry in an hour. Fiber/protein/fats are your friend. And by eating things that will keep you feeling satisfied, you are able to keep this up. When you're hungry all the time, it is very hard to succeed. Also, the fat free diet is the worst thing ever. Your body needs fats just like it needs anything else. I lost the weight eating peanut butter, nuts, olive oil,etc. And even ice cream, etc sometimes too. (all measured out of course! lol)

3. Switching things up with exercise. When your body becomes too used to on activity, it isn't working as hard to do it. So, keep things exciting, try new things, bump up the level and add time, go backwards (on the elliptical, which is what I used a lot), just keep your muscles guessing.
  • TamTastic
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone! I really want to help you reach your goal. :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Tami, I do not even know that old Tam! She was long gone by the time I met you.

It has been lovely over the past year and a half watching you grow in confidence and beauty.

I miss all your picture updates:sad:

You were my first inspiration on these boards. When I saw I needed to lose 30-50 pounds I thought :noway: NO WAY!
    As I surfed the boards I found your profile, and encouraging words to be a zap in the azzo keep going!

Thanks my friend. I am looking forward to seeing what you can accomplish this year!

Kisses to Jt and Sammy!!:smooched:

:heart: Jeannie
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    Tami, thank you for coming back and giving inspiration at a time when many people need it.Your success continues to show me how it can be done.

You are a beautiful woman
  • pdxmomof2
    Options
    Thank you for this post Tami!

You have not only lost weight but you gained a huge amount of confidence and self worth! Those boys are super lucky to have you as a mommy! :heart:
  • debnu1
    Options
    Hmm, it's hard to limit it down to three because it was just about changing so much. I started with one thing and got used to that and then worked on something else. I didn't put too much pressure on myself. I just took it a day or a week at a time and focused on the smaller losses. I mean, time is going to go by anyway right? Even if you're losing weight slow and healthy...at least you are doing THAT and not staying the same or even gaining. And trust me, the time passes much quicker than you think it will and before long, those small, healthy losses add up.

But here are three things that really helped ME. :):flowerforyou:

1. Weighing/measuring food. By doing this, you realize just how insane your former portions are and just why you had a problem. By learning exactly what a tablespoon is or what 4 ounces of meat is, you will truly start gaining control of it. And then logging every tablespoon as well.

2. The type of food. I started paying attention to how my body felt after eating certain things. For example, if I make a whole grain english muffin, egg whites, 2 % cheese and a bit of salsa for breakfast, that will keep me going for HOURS. However, if I eat a sugary cereal, I will be hungry in an hour. Fiber/protein/fats are your friend. And by eating things that will keep you feeling satisfied, you are able to keep this up. When you're hungry all the time, it is very hard to succeed. Also, the fat free diet is the worst thing ever. Your body needs fats just like it needs anything else. I lost the weight eating peanut butter, nuts, olive oil,etc. And even ice cream, etc sometimes too. (all measured out of course! lol)

3. Switching things up with exercise. When your body becomes too used to on activity, it isn't working as hard to do it. So, keep things exciting, try new things, bump up the level and add time, go backwards (on the elliptical, which is what I used a lot), just keep your muscles guessing.

Thanks so much!! I have found that the type of food really makes a difference too, I hate to be hungry! You didn't really have to limit it to three though. :bigsmile: That is just what I thought I would ask for... Thanks for your inspiration!:flowerforyou: :love:
  • NurseMisty
    NurseMisty Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Thanks Tami! Always nice to see a post from you! You look great even after #2 :)
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    WOW..I've seen the pics a bunch of times but it still AMAZES me!
    GREAT job, you should be beyond proud of yourself!

I think you can also teach people that even with major changes going on in your life, and not always good ones, you don't need to turn to food for comfort etc or put on weight

((HUGS))
    Kim
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Wow - you are gorgeous! Even before losing the weight, you were beautiful, but now you just have this healthy glow! Congrats! You must feel really healthy now. Thanks for sharing your story, too.
  • TamTastic
    Options
    WOW..I've seen the pics a bunch of times but it still AMAZES me!
    GREAT job, you should be beyond proud of yourself!

I think you can also teach people that even with major changes going on in your life, and not always good ones, you don't need to turn to food for comfort etc or put on weight

((HUGS))
    Kim
    Hey Kim! Thanks! :flowerforyou:

I have had a lot going on...and keeping on the ball isn't always easy. Thank goodness it has become second nature to me now. That doesn't mean it doesn't take effort...but it just means I don't struggle as bad as I used to.
  • TamTastic
    Options
    Thank you for this post Tami!

You have not only lost weight but you gained a huge amount of confidence and self worth! Those boys are super lucky to have you as a mommy! :heart:
    Thank you girl!! :heart: :bigsmile:
  • TamTastic
    Options
    Thanks everyone! :) I really hope this helps to keep you going. I wish I could take what is in my head and put it into yours. Unfortunately, it took me the many failed attempts...and doing it the wrong way...to get it right. I never take it for granted though. It's always in the back of my mind that things could be like they used to. But, for the first time....I do have confidence I can keep this up. That's because I did it in a way that is realistic. I didn't deprive myself completely or overstuff myself. I was just sensible. :)

:flowerforyou:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!