Are you really a size .0008.7? Are you?

Options

Replies

• squigglypuff
    squigglypuff Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    sizing is so inconsistent. some of my shorts are size 3 or even 1, but my jeans are anywhere from size 4 or 6 (US misses) or 5 or 7 (US juniors). i buy shirts in literally every size from S-XL because things like the cut, shape, style, and material of the shirt make a huge difference. some of my favorite dresses are juniors size small, while others are misses size medium or large. it really depends on the brand and the style. i love to buy things online but it's impossible because you never know if size x in brand x is really the same as size x in brand y. maybe this is why they tried to teach us algebra in high school!

that said, before i lost weight i was wearing juniors pants size 11 or 13. the notion that i can sometimes squeeze my *kitten* into juniors size 3 is amazing to me. nevermind the size 3s were bought in puerto rico and probably designed for women with curvier bottoms, whereas the size 13s were bought in a trendy shop in nyc and were likely designed for a stick figure, i still feel good knowing that in some rare circumstances i may fit into tiny sizes.
  • kodom_123
    kodom_123 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I am a size 4.. I wear 4's in all my clothing and Size Small top in all my tops... Last time I checked, clothing was pretty universal if you only shop at a few places instead of every store you see.

Not sure why the hell you having so many issues when it comes to shopping or get pissed when people brag about size, but I worked my butt off to get where I am.. so best you best believe I'm going to celebrate it.

I love Gap and buy all of my pants from them. I'm currently wearing a pair in size 6 that are falling off, have size 8s in my closet that fit me perfectly, another pair of 8s that I can barely button, and a pair of 10s that don't quite fit over my butt just yet. All from Gap. Fairly certain that if I "only shop at a few places" it isn't going to make a lick of difference as to what size I truly am.

As an aside, I'm a ONE at Chico's, so I'll now be claiming that as my official size. :laugh:

rofl! This!! I have some pants that are 20, some 18, and some 16! I have SEVERAL pairs of old Navy jeans that are at different levels of "just-about-to-fit" stage. lol

- a pair of 18s that are ready to be worn out of the house (ie..they button/zip and don't look painted on)
    - a pair of 16s that button/zip and are a *tad snug
    - a pair of 18s that don't even come close to slipping over my tush yet! They seriously get hung up on my bum and and don't cover my hips yet.
    -a pair of 20s that are way too tight to wear out!

All Old Navy! How is it that one brand can range so widely? So the mentality that if you shop at one or two places means you can have all the same size is bull!

I think I too will claim my CK capris as my "size" lol... 16 baby!! woot!
  • missytrishy
    missytrishy Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I'm a size zero

Zero being the degree to which I care, and also the degree to which clothing size actually matters

^^^This! :laugh:
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    I suppose if you only shop at 3 stores that exclusively sell clothes by only one designer, then yes, you might be able to fit into only one size in every article of clothing you buy for the rest of your life.

If this is what you do, and you are a size 8 in everything you own, good for you. You are one of the rare people who is actually only one size in everything they own. Shopping for you must be a breeze. You’ve probably never had to order 3 sizes of clothes you buy online to see which one fits you correctly.

For the rest of us, dare I say the majority of us, who shop in department stores (ie. Macy’s etc.) that sell clothing made by hundreds of different designers or different small boutiques run by different designers with different sizing standards, only shopping at 3 stores seems pretty boring, not to mention pricey.

But if you have the money and love, love, love only those clothes made by your designers of choice, go for it.

I can’t speak for everyone but I’d personally rather have variety than a closet full of 6’s or whatever. So, until I find a few designers whose size standards are exactly the same, I will continue to be annoyed with the huge differences in sizing between brands.

As a side note, I’m also not sure, actually I'm pretty baffled, as to why some people are equating a post that I wrote as a humorous vent about an annoyance with sizing differences & people who brag about sizing when it clearly has no international standard with some sort of seething anger either. That’s just silly. I was chuckling when I wrote it, not seething with fury or turning into some sort of she-Hulk. (Although I'd probably be a lot cooler if I had that ability). I was giggling because virtually every woman I know has the same issues when picking clothing. But as I said, if you are one of the handful of women who don’t, you are very fortunate.

I totally got what you saying originally, and was shocked, too, when you were getting the "hate" telling you to calm down your rant. I think this adds to the dire need for a sarcasm/humor font since people have a hard time discerning that in writing.

I have the same problem with clothes and I don't know any other woman that doesn't also share the same issue!

But I have to say, if you were a She-Hulk with your clothes getting ripped apart every time you turned green, you would have a way bigger issue with clothes!! :wink: And finding pants that would fit and stretch magically would be a nightmare (and shirt too, since you are a lady!)
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Speaking as a woman who worked in a garment factory, whatever size the lot is short on they will put a size tag on it to fill the order. Generally it's close but not necessarily. While it feeds the ego to see a size 2 it may not be accurate.
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    i hate vanity sizing. they even do it to guys.

a 32 waist is pretty much what i try first, because that's what fits. in some jeans, though, i have to buy size 29. i'd prefer it if they just standardized the measurement. 32 should mean 32 inches. i don't see them playing around with the inseam, just the waist. it makes clothes shopping a hassle.
  • LadyIvysMom
    LadyIvysMom Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of girls wear whatever brand they need to in order to claim they are a size 0.

I think you are correct.

Since I know for a fact that I fit into a size 4 in dresses by Merona (one of the brands at Target for all you rich folk who only shop at like, Versace lol) I could buy exclusively Merona dresses and say I was a size 4. But I really, really like some clothes by other brands so if I'm a size 8 in a dress from Banana Republic or whatever, I'm just going to buy it.
  • LadyIvysMom
    Options
    I'm a size zero

Zero being the degree to which I care, and also the degree to which clothing size actually matters

We have a winner! :)
  • NoFatChick2
    Options
    Depending on where I shop, I can be a size 2, 4, 6, small or medium. But since I tend to shop at the same places, it's not really a big deal to me. The biggest problem for petite women who are these small sizes is finding clothing that fits nicely. I usually have to get my pants hemmed. Being really small can be a shopping pain. I wear a 5 1/2 shoe. Do you know how hard it is to find that?

Would be nice if all clothing makers, designer or not, could come up with a sizing chart that is consistent, that I agree.

Edited for grammar, spelling.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I'm a size zero

FLAWLESS VICTORY.

Yeah, it's nice to be able to buy clothes in high street stores that actually look NICE rather than massive tenty things, but the actual number means nothing to me.
  • BlueInkDot
    BlueInkDot Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    YES.

YES LET US MOB THE EMBASSY OF DETERMINING FEMALE CLOTHING SIZES.
    TOPPLE THE FRANCHISES.
    KILL THE MEN IN CHARGE.
    BURN EFFEGIES OF THEM IN THE STREETS.
    START RIOTS AND DON'T STOP UNTIL THEY MEASURE OUR CLOTHES PROPERLY.
    ALSO SHOE SIZES.
    AND WHILE WE'RE AT IT MAKE THEM MAKE SHOES THAT ARE BOTH COMFORTABLE AND CUTE.
    RIOT UNTIL IT HAPPENS.
    ALSO BRAS.
    MAKE ME A BRA THAT FITS.
    HUAAAAAAAH.
  • Dub_D
    Dub_D Posts: 1,760 Member
    Options
    What the bleepity bleep is this post even about? I'm a size 5, should I not say that err?...

Why does it even matter if someone wants to say they are size negative 20000?
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    donut-trophy.jpg

Congratulations on being just so petty.
  • risak
    risak Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I just wish I could be one size at every store. At old navy I can range anywhere from XS to M in shirts or size 4 - size 12 in jeans!!

Vanity sizing is what I like to call it. It's stupid and annoying.
  • cNhobbes
    cNhobbes Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    o m G I TOTALLY AGREE!!! thanks for this post :flowerforyou:
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I am a size 4.. I wear 4's in all my clothing and Size Small top in all my tops... Last time I checked, clothing was pretty universal if you only shop at a few places instead of every store you see.

Not sure why the hell you having so many issues when it comes to shopping or get pissed when people brag about size, but I worked my butt off to get where I am.. so best you best believe I'm going to celebrate it.

Also, I highly doubt you wear a 4 some days and then a 12/14 other days... that is a huge difference in size no matter how the clothes are cut. So unless you are getting really fat and then really skinny with in the course of like a day, you should be able to find one size and stick with it.

It might be me being sensitive but...I really disliked the idea of someone calling a 12/14 'really fat;, As someone who fluctuates between a 22/24 and is just starting the journey (again), that stings coming from a place that's supposed to be supportive.
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    There actually IS a standard clothing size system, at least in the USA, but nobody has followed it in years.

That's why people always say Marilyn Monroe was a size 12. Yeah, she was, before vanity sizing. An old size twelve is today's size 4.

I'm three different sizes depending on where I shop - in more "grown up" shops, I'm a US 4 (UK8). My biggest size is a US 8 (UK 12) and that's at stores catered towards teenagers/young twenties
  • LadyIvysMom
    Options

Also, I highly doubt you wear a 4 some days and then a 12/14 other days... that is a huge difference in size no matter how the clothes are cut. So unless you are getting really fat and then really skinny with in the course of like a day, you should be able to find one size and stick with it.

It might be me being sensitive but...I really disliked the idea of someone calling a 12/14 'really fat;, As someone who fluctuates between a 22/24 and is just starting the journey (again), that stings coming from a place that's supposed to be supportive.

A 12/14 is not "fat". I think it's pretty average. So don't worry about it. The dress I am wearing in my profile pic (the one with the fan) was a size XL. At the time this photo was taken, I weighed 125 lbs.

And also, to the person who thinks I'm lying about being a 4 in one dress and a 12 in another item, I assure you, I am not lying and it seems like the majority of girls posting on this thread have had similiar issues with shopping.

I don't doubt that you are a 4 in everything you own, but I think you probably just don't shop at a variety of stores and if you do, you probably don't purchase the clothes you are a larger size in. Which is your choice and that's fine.
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Did no one tell you, It's always the lowest size you can squeeze your *kitten*-ets into. Same with the scale, but your drivers liscence weight is probably the closest to what you think the person taking your info will believe.
  • bellabijou
    bellabijou Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    And while we're at it........Why do designers seem to think my hips and waist are suppose to be the same size? I've met no woman ever who's hips weren't a bit (if not a lot) larger than her waist.

Also, Petite is suppose to mean short not tiny........or elderly! I'm 5'3" and buying pants is painful cause I have to search for the petite lengths so I don't trip over the legs. If the average woman inseam 32inches, then why are average pants 34inch inseam?

That's It! I'm joining a nudest colony!! :)

Actually, that is me - all the women in my family have naturally very narrow hips. Since I gain most of my weight in my middle, it is most definitely wider than my hips ( for now anyways!)