Are you really a size .0008.7? Are you?

Options

Replies

• islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Speaking as a woman who worked in a garment factory, whatever size the lot is short on they will put a size tag on it to fill the order. Generally it's close but not necessarily. While it feeds the ego to see a size 2 it may not be accurate.

Interesting

There is a conspiracy
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    When I go shopping, I grab the size I think I am and the size above and below to take to the dressing room. Sometimes all three fit exactly the same. There's been times the smallest were the biggest, too.

Garment workers aren't paid well enough for consistency.

Mostly, I'm a 4, sometimes a 2, sometimes a 6 in misses' jeans but only if I want them loose. In juniors, I'm a 5 or 7, unless we're talking shorts, then I usually need a 9 because the leg holes are too small. On the other hand, I'm currently wearing a pair of size 8 shorts I bought when I weighed about 15-20 pounds more than I do now, and they're perfectly wearable. A little looser than I'd buy if I were trying them on now, but as long as my shirt covers my waist, you can't see that they're too big.
  • BluthLover
    BluthLover Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I think there is a huge difference between celebrating your success and being obnoxious. If you lose weight and your proud of it that's awesome! You should be proud !! You should be able to have victory in that. Say it, celebrate it, then move on. If you got a huge raise at work you would celebrate the promotion and move on. You wouldn't walk around all the time talking about how rich you were and how awesome it was. There are women out there who talk constantly about how teeny they are. How they're a size zero and it's so hard to find clothes. Or whatever. Unfortunately our society applauds women for losing weight more than anything else. I could graduate from law school and I'd get less of a reaction than if I lost 10 lbs. it's ridic but it's true. So when you walk around talking about how skinny you are, it's bragging and it's obnoxious and insensitive. But again, that's different from celebrating success. You are damn right you should be proud of that.
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of curious as to the context of this bragging. Are these women going up to women larger than themselves and gloating, along the lines of: 'What size are you? Haha - I'm smaller! I'm size 0!' Or are they just merrily stating that they've lost weight and can now fit into a size 0?

It's true that sizes vary from shop to shop, but it's never occurred to me to be annoyed that someone states they are a certain size. Easier to simply state what size you are most often than to state 'Well, I'm size 2 in this shop and size 0 in that shop, and size 10 in that other shop.'
  • opuntia
    Options
    Unfortunately our society applauds women for losing weight more than anything else. I could graduate from law school and I'd get less of a reaction than if I lost 10 lbs. it's ridic but it's true. So when you walk around talking about how skinny you are, it's bragging and it's obnoxious and insensitive.

So if anyone talks about something about themselves, and this thing happens to be something which is generally applauded by society, then they are bragging obnoxiously. So, in your definition, is it only okay to talk about personal characteristics which are not applauded by society? That surely involves a lot tiptoeing around society's changing preferences!
  • Dedatress
    Options
    Seems like there is a bit of 50/50. But based on my personal experience, shopping for clothes has always been a huge struggle. I don't mind if people talk about size, the thing that really bugs me is that we talk about this so much in general. Why does weight have to be so "popular' to talk about? To me it's a bit ridiculous.

No one should need to feel bad about their size, and yes I totally get if you worked hard and lost weight about telling people. That's awesome!! But to me it should more be about lifestyle changing and health. In reality, I guess it just bugs me that now most things have to be focused on looks and weight.
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I tend to frequent the same 4-5 stores. And I wear a 0 primarily, sometimes a 2, but there are no other sizes in my closet.

And by the way, I never tell someone that until I'm ASKED.
  • opuntia
    Options
    I tend to frequent the same 4-5 stores. And I wear a 0 primarily, sometimes a 2, but there are no other sizes in my closet.

And by the way, I never tell someone that until I'm ASKED.

Well, you've just told the entire of MFP, without being asked! :wink:

And in my experience, this is exactly how people tend to bring it up - in the context of a conversation about clothes sizes. People don't (at least, in my experience) go round randomly announcing their clothes size to the world.
  • samblanken
    samblanken Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    And while we're at it........Why do designers seem to think my hips and waist are suppose to be the same size? I've met no woman ever who's hips weren't a bit (if not a lot) larger than her waist.

Also, Petite is suppose to mean short not tiny........or elderly! I'm 5'3" and buying pants is painful cause I have to search for the petite lengths so I don't trip over the legs. If the average woman inseam 32inches, then why are average pants 34inch inseam?

That's It! I'm joining a nudest colony!! :)

Actually, that is me - all the women in my family have naturally very narrow hips. Since I gain most of my weight in my middle, it is most definitely wider than my hips ( for now anyways!)

That's me too. I have no waist at all. I have a very hard time finding pants that fit.
  • jooonesy
    jooonesy Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    It's funny because size never mattered too much to me and I shop primarily between 3 different stores. When you look at the size charts, it amazes me how much of a difference a size 4 or 6 is in one store, but the next store will either deduct or add up to an inch and a half to the bust, waist, and hip measurements and call it the same size. I just wish someone would make sense of how these retailers determine their sizes because it plain makes no sense. I was just complaining about this on my own status because I have 3 pairs of pants that are 3 different sizes and they're all too big. :huh:
  • Rockmyskinnyjeans
    Rockmyskinnyjeans Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    WOW! Anywhooooo....

I wear a 2 to 6, or a 3 to a 7 in Junior's weird *kitten* sizing. I will typically tell people I'm a size 4. Why? Because the majority of the time, that's the size I buy. I also tend to frequent the same 3 to 4 stores so I don't get a lot of variation of "17" different sizes in my closet. I always try clothes on first, but I pretty much know exactly what I'm looking for.

I've worked my butt off (literally) to get to this size so, YES, I'm going to shout it from the rooftops. Loud... and freakin' proud!
  • jennifermaffei17
    Options
    Hmm...see I've always been consistent with pant sizes and shirt sizes. Dresses have always had to be bigger for me to wear. I'm a size 12 currently and a large for shirts.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I bet this lady tells people she's a size 2 or 4...

tumblrhgh.jpg
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I bet this lady tells people she's a size 2 or 4...

tumblrhgh.jpg
    Dayum, that takes muffin top to a whole new level :laugh:
  • KatyCrum6969
    KatyCrum6969 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I don't get why women need a different size system from the rest of world. What's wrong with inches/centimetres/etc? :)

Then we'd know how many inches we actually were? Duuhhh.
  • Presleyforpresident
    Options
    i give you all the awards
    brilliantly said :)
    i have a friend who brags she's a size 3, we went shopping together once and she could barely squeeze her *kitten* into a size 9.
    definitely knocked her down a few pegs and she's stopped giving me B.S. weight loss advice
  • blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I never really "announce" my dress size but if I did, what would be the point in lying about it? If people disputed my size, I'd show them the tag, lol.
  • Aurorakitty
    Options
    Yeah I'm a bit of a range of sizes in pants because nothing seems to be consistent when your shopping and right now I don't really know what size I am anyway. Why are shirts more consistent then pants?
  • Rockmyskinnyjeans
    Rockmyskinnyjeans Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I never really "announce" my dress size but if I did, what would be the point in lying about it? If people disputed my size, I'd show them the tag, lol.

That's my deal. I'm not afraid to whip out a tag. I've done it on my own mother when she tried telling me I wasn't wearing a size 8 once (this must have been 6 years ago). I turned my pants down where she could see clearly I was in single digit sizes. She's never disputed me again lol.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I typically wear a 12/14... But I have dresses as big as 16 and a skirt as small as a medium.... A medium! I haven't wore a medium since I was 22 and weighed around 125 (can't wait until I get back there).