Can you achieve results, just walking?

Options
124»

Replies

• kfdunn
    Options
    I walk four or five days a week, anywhere from 3 to 6 miles depending on the weather and how tired I am. I've been doing it for about 6 weeks getting back on the healthy bandwagon. That along with keeping my calories under 1400 have helped me lose 11 pounds. Like the post below suggests I'm trying to increase my speed. I started at 3 miles an hour and have pushed to 4 now. I want to start running but I'm chicken. :)

Check out C25K or Runner's Worlds' beginner routines. Switching from 3 miles walking to 3 miles running overnight is a recipe for injury... the main goal of any fitness runner is to avoid injury!
  • sunlover89
    sunlover89 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Yes, i eat healthily and within my 1200 limit. This is my 11th day. My clothes do fit better, it's just thhe last time I did this (burining the same amount with the elliptical, not walking) i lost 7lbs in the first week. This time - nothing. I'm not weight focused, but im surprised at nothing has come off.

If you are lifting AND walking that much you need to eat more than 1200 calories. Are you eating 1200 PLUS your exercise calories ??? Probably more like 1700-2000 a day.

Nothing has come off because your body is not happy with you lol Feed it more food !

Yes! I am eating my calories back on most days. I'm not one to undereat when i can without feeling guilty :-)
  • raverhayley
    raverhayley Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Strolling isn't going to do anything

:huh:

I'm glad you're not part of my support system.
    lol!
  • sherisse69
    sherisse69 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Strolling isn't going to do anything (not saying that's what you're doing)

strolling is better than sitting on the couch and its a start...nothing wrong with strolling

Agreed :)
  • BeeRobin
    BeeRobin Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    What has two thumbs and walks (only) every day?

<
    This gal.
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    Every pound I have lost I have lost through just eating better and walking. So yes, walking is great for weight loss!
  • 2kwaldo
    2kwaldo Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all the posts so forgive me if this has already been addressed? Have you been evaluated by a Dr? For the last year I have had terrible foot pain, and as suggested by another member, started cycling again to get off my feet. I used to walk and hike regularly, but the pain in my feet was so bad I had to give it up.

Two doctors, and over a year later, I still have pain but it is better. Aside from plantar faciitis and too small of a space between the bones in my feet causing nerve issues, I was also diagnosed with having extremely tight achilles tendons. The podiatrist believes that may have aggravated the old PF i had years ago. Orthotics (from the doc but not custom) and metatarsal pads have helped a lot. Also a night splint that i wear for at least an hour per day.

The pain you have may not just be about shoes that are too narrow. Just a thought.
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • walkdmc
    walkdmc Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    You absolutely can lose weight and tone up with walking and weight lifting. My mom lost about 40 pounds just walking the dog and doing WW.
  • phynyxfyre
    phynyxfyre Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can! Your body will get used to it if you do it all the time the same route though. You are in a gym, so you may try an exercise bike or a pilates class as well. Or swimming. Those won't have you doing high impact or on your feet too much!
  • Strolling isn't going to do anything

:huh:

I'm glad you're not part of my support system.

Me too

Me too!