Tried ground turkey the results was not good

Options

Replies

• EccentricDad
    EccentricDad Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I tried it for the first time this week, I didn't like it at all, it made my stomach hurt so bad. Just say I didn't eat the rest of my meal that day b/c it didn't taste good and yeah. So did anyone else ever tried it and made you wanna get sick? Did you try it again?

Staying on topic, never had a problem with ground turkey. Must have been the way you prepared it.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Some store-bought ground turkey is disgusting. I have a Kitchen Aid mixer with the meat grinder attachment and I grind my own blend of well-trimmed turkey thighs along with a little bread soaked in milk. It comes out great. Whole Foods ground turkey is also great. I like it for things like lasagna where you might otherwise use veal, especially lasagna. I will not eat a turkey burger though... honestly, there are veggie burgers I would like more.
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I think the key, as others have indicated, is to get ground turkey breast only. The other ground turkey isn't any lower in fat/calories than ground beef and I have found that it is what smells odd. Also, the sauce point is a good one. I find that ground turkey breast substitutes well when there is a sauce or other component to the dish, but not for eating plain.
  • rmk20togo
    rmk20togo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Two years ago, after 6 trips to the ER, my husband was finally diagnosed with an allergy to beef, pork, and lamb. I mean anaphylactic shock, stops breathing allergy - not upset stomach and hives allergy. Since then we've become an all poultry all the time family, with some fish here and there as I learn to cook it.

It's taken a time and experimentation, but I've learned to cook with and love ground turkey. The secret for us is to buy the ground turkey that is 93/7. The ground turkey breast is just too dry and lacks flavor. You also have to doctor turkey more than beef. My ground turkey burgers include:onions, egg whites, parsley, garlic, pepper and bread crumbs. They are very yummy!!!

There has never been a odor problem. I'm wondering if the turkey you had was bad maybe. :sick:
  • rocketqueen81
    Options
    A friend of mine makes a queso dip with ground turkey that rocks! I had no idea it was turkey; it tasted great and I had no idea until he told me. Must have been the cheese and spices, though, because any other ground turkey I've tried any other way grossed me out. I really don't see a problem with ground beef, sirloin, or chuck as long as you're fitting it into your calorie intake. Why eat something you hate?
  • ksemien
    ksemien Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I use the ground turkey breast for turkey burgers, those patties that are already done. Never had any probs. But for dishes that call for ground meat I use the extra lean ground beef. I've had better results and fewer cals w/ that kind.
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    I tried ground turkey once just for the heck of it and I got it from the deli counter...OMG that was the nastiest stuff I ever ate, full of bone fragments and grisel and just not very good tasting.

So I saw this http://www.scanavert.com/api/picture.php?upc=00642205546077&width=150&height=150

in the meat section of the store, and for $2.99 a package I'm very pleased with it. I'm not sure if it is exactly like the picture but it fits the bill in the fact that sometimes ground beef is just too bold of a flavor for what I'm making.

I won't use anything except that Honeysuckle brand though.
  • chelledawg14
    chelledawg14 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I often use ground turkey when making taco's or hamburger helper for hubby and I taste no difference; I buy the 93/7 just like I do with ground beef. When the store is out of the ground beef, then I buy the turkey. I like turkey pepperoni, turkey sausage,etc - but I don't like anything turkey "plain" - not even real turkey on Thanksgiving. I don't care for turkey bacon, either. I'd rather buy the center cut real bacon and have 3 slices for 70 calories.
  • JennMarieFitz
    JennMarieFitz Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry it made you sick. Because of the different color, are you sure it was cooked all the way through? I know that I can't trust my husband to cook it because he can't tell when it is done =) We eat it because beef is hard on our stomachs and makes us sick. Personally, I love the taste, but it's a personal preference. The Butterball turkey burgers are AMAZING and really do taste better than any beef burger I've had, and they don't make me feel weighed down, if that makes sense.

I've just tried some weight watchers chicken burgers, though, and they were nasty! Don't try those! They are very dry and tasteless, no matter what I put on them.

I hope you figure something out that works for you!
  • AnisaMG
    AnisaMG Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I am not a huge fan of beef, and I find the ground beef, even lean so greasy and gross. So at our house we almost always use grd turkey. Never had an issue with it tasting bad, or making me sick.
    Did you cook it 100%? - remember that the more surface area of the meat(ground anything has more surface area than a typical slice of meat) the more room for bacteria growth and the more you need to ensure it's properly cooked.
  • EccentricDad
    EccentricDad Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    the thing is, most ground turkey is really not much lower in calories than lean ground beef.

This. I use 96% lean ground beef. It's like 70 calories less a serving than ground turkey, and it's still beef, baby!

But ground Turkey will always have less sat fat even if you do buy lean beef. However, I think lean beef has more protein. :-\
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    Tomato paste is magic. Adding it to any low fat ground meat (90% lean beef, lean turkey, ostrich) makes it seem richer.

A tablespoon or two added to one pound of meat is a good place to start.

Mix in some soy sauce or worcestershire, sauteed onion, garlic and diced bell pepper and you've got yourself a damn good turkey burger.
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,634 Member
    Options
    I love ground turkey! I usually add plenty of flavor to it so I don't really get that turkey taste.
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Ground turkey is typically cheaper from a butcher/meat market. $2.99 per pound, the butcher said its close to 90% lean, no filler and they grind it fresh from thigh meat. I find ground sirloin (90% lean) to cook up very dry and ususaly costs $3.59 per pounds. I'll stick with my ground turkey.

For those of you with a bad experience, try it again. I started with spaghetti because the grey color can be off putting to eat. Now I make burger and tacos all the time.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I love ground turkey. Probably helps that my wife can season it like a GANGSTA and make it taste amazing.
  • GermanicKnight
    Options
    Turkey should never be ground and passed as a lean beef substitute.

Also, turkey bacon should be outlawed. I think it is an abomination and only used to feed zombies.
  • Brdrclymom
    Options
    My diet doctor gave me a recipe for Turkey Burgers that I use the 93/7 Jenni O ground turkey, then mix in cilantro, green onion and curry powder. They are so awesome! I make em for work and have other people addicted to them now. good luck!
  • branson101
    branson101 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    my father made a meatloaf out of ground turkey once. It was so gross that the dogs growled at it and refused to eat it. never again with the ground turkey for me. I prefer lean beef.
  • I use Jennie-O extra lean and it is pretty great. I only use it in tacos, wraps, things I mix it with. I find turkey burgers by themselves to be dry. I like the fact that it is lower in fat than ground beef. You can also get stuff called Kraft Fresh Take and it is also loaded with protein and mix it and it is also good.
  • Peezy4President
    Peezy4President Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    i always eat ground turkey, i dont even buy ground beef. I taste great, but its all in how you season it.