Turkey Burgers are awesome
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    I love ground turkey!
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    I eat 93/7 ground turkey all the time, it has never made me sick or feel ill. I only buy Shady Brook Farms or Jennie-O, not sure if that makes too much of a difference though.

Ground beef actually makes me sick to my stomach more often than not, as does anything with more than 7% fat. I prefer 96/4, but am not sure it's worth the extra money.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    We had it in hamburger helper. It was my boyfriend and I that ate it, and he loved it and didn't make him sick but me on the other hand did. Glad to see some think its gross and some love it.

You should start with ditching the hamburger helper......
  • melsmith612
    melsmith612 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I pretty much eat turkey the same way I would eat chicken or beef or pork or seafood... it's just another option. I don't cut out beef because I'm willing to eat ground turkey... just use it for variety. You get used to the flavor and start to appreciate the different things you can accomplish WITH that flavor instead of trying to always make it taste like a beef burger.
  • MandaPaigeSparkles88
    MandaPaigeSparkles88 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love turkey burgers. I use it in everything from Sloppy Joe's, to taco's, to burgers, to Hamburger Helper. It doesn't bother me or upset my stomach. I will still however eat regular ground meet. I love both, but I hate that both hamburgers and turkey burgers are expensive.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I like it but usually buy it because it less expensive than LEAN ground beef. No real health benefits/differences between those two, just price!

We use it all the time in spaghetti, sloppy joes,chili (in crockpot), taco seasoning and salsa mixed in and served with brown rice and veggies and I make a MEAN crockpot meatloaf with Worcestershire, oatmeal, shredded carrots and ground turkey! It's all about seasoning!
  • DMW914
    DMW914 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I use ground turkey a lot... but I prefer beef however too much of it no matter how lean the beef is hurts my stomach. I'm trying to use grass fed beef which I haven't noticed any stomach gripes as of yet.

But when I use ground turkey, I steep dried dried porcini mushrooms in worchestershire, once the mushroms are softened I process em' a lil' bit to give it a rough chop, then add it to my ground turkey with garlic powder, onion powder & a low sodium seasoning or a pinch of grill seasoning in the $1 packets (sometimes finely chopped onions, garlic & green peppers in a processor) and make burger patties. I add crispy, nitrate free bacon & cheese if you fancy & it taste really close to a beef buger (but it never will be) I also get my ground turkey from the Amish market near me. The texture is different from the packaged local grocer's. This is one food you'll have to play with flavorings until you get what you want!
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I've never had that! I love ground turkey more than ground hamburger. We get the 93/7 Jenny-O lean ground turkey. We fry it up and use it to make meat sauce for spaghetti. I also use it for tacos or when we used to have hamburger helper. I do not like turkey burgers, though...but other than that, I replace all hamburger with turkey.
  • timmy2
    timmy2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I mix ground turkey and ground sirloin in the same recepies, my family does not even know. I do this in pasta sauses, meatloaf, tacos, burgers. etc.
  • kimberly2122
    kimberly2122 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have been using ground turkey and turkey sausage for years, you have to get the extra lean, its lower in calories and fat then ground beef. Here is the key to using it! ready..........................Seasoning the ground turkey!!! I use chili powder everytime I use it for any type of recipe. Its awesome!
  • twilightlvr79
    twilightlvr79 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I use ground turkey all the time. I buy the 93 or 99% fat free jenni-o tastes the best. If I am making a hamburger I like to season mine depending on what type of hamburger I am making. If I am having just an all american burger then I will season mine with a little dried onions, onion powder, chili powder and paprika. I also like to make pizza burgers with ground turkey. For these I season them with a little Italian seasoning and top them with low fat mozzarella cheese and just little bit of pizza sauce. I also use ground turkey in chili. I would much rather use ground turkey than beef but if you don't season it right it can have a bit of an odd flavor.
  • ckish
    ckish Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Can't stand ground turkey unless it's the 99% FF. Then it's a matter of what you do with it. The people who can't cook a moist chicken breast will tend to have bad experiences cooking ground turkey. In the right hands it can be a wonderful ingredient to cook with.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    the thing is, most ground turkey is really not much lower in calories than lean ground beef.

This! I hate it also, I have tried and tried to like it, I have made it several different ways and gave up. It's not that much of a difference calorie and fat wise than lean beef so why make myself eat something I can't stand?!
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    We had it in hamburger helper. It was my boyfriend and I that ate it, and he loved it and didn't make him sick but me on the other hand did. Glad to see some think its gross and some love it.

You should start with ditching the hamburger helper......

+1!!!
    ACK!
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Turkey Burgers are awesome

...and they're even better with a couple of slices of avacado instead of mayo. :smile:
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    I tried it as turkey burgers and didn't love it. I do, however, love ground chicken burgers.

I use ground turkey in chili and lasagna and tacos, etc. and I can't even tell I'm not eating beef.
  • feliciapeters
    Options
    Hate ground turkey
    like ground chicken much better
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options
    I used Purdue 99% lean ground turkey and love it.
  • feliciapeters
    Options
    Try mixing 3/4 chick & 1/4 beef
    make a nice burger
    gound turkey is waaay to dry for me