Are some people just physically not cut out for running?

Options
I'm starting to think that is me. I have never exercised a day in my life, and I decided that needs to change. I signed up for a 5K this coming November and started the C25K program in July. I CANNOT get past week three. I've been trying for nearly 4 weeks now and I am making ZERO progress. I'm seriously starting to think that perhaps my body is just not physically able to be a "runner" (or even a jogger...)

Extremely discouraged and about 2 seconds away from giving up. I have read that people sometimes repeat a day or even a week on C25K...but I've never seen anyone post about it taking WEEKS just to get past a workout.

A little about me: I'm 32, female, not even slightly overweight...in fact, I'm probably under my BMI for my height (5'5", 105lbs). I don't drink alcohol or smoke, I am not a super healthy eater, but I don't eat a ton of sweets or junk food. I definitely don't drink enough water, but I also don't drink cokes or coffee, etc. When I do drink, it's always water or milk. I started to focus on hydrating more, but got so tired of having to pee every hour that I cut back. :-/

Any thoughts??

Replies

• northerngem
    Options
    I did the C25K a few years back and found it a very challenging program! A few questions for you - what are you eating prior to running - and how soon before? How fast are you running? Have good shoes? And good music?
  • arizonaladybug
    arizonaladybug Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I personally dont have any experience with this workout you are talking about or anything. But I think some people have a natural ability to run an do other things as well where as some have to work twice as hard. I just started drinking water like crazy I hate all the peeing but it made my skin gorgeous!
  • Weebs628
    Weebs628 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's your form? I never thought I was a runner until a friend of mine told me what proper form is like and it just clicked and running became so, so much easier. I even have asthma too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaYQwq6TnXY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

This video helped me immensely. Good luck!
  • MelL1205
    MelL1205 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I've attempted the program more times than I can count. After 2 weeks of repeating day 1 3x a week (each time I tried the program again), I gave up. I am not cut out for running.

I can bike for miles upon miles. I cannot run 0.1 mile without feeling like I'm going to die.... not just my brain telling me that... seriously physically horrible.
  • CincinnatiDEIFan
    CincinnatiDEIFan Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Personally, I know to not even try to run. Jogging is borderline.

My issue stems from falling off an off track Thoroughbred years ago and never having my knee properly taken care of...

Good luck! I hope someone here can give you better advice and encourage you to get thru it and succeed at your goal!
  • Kjngrrl
    Kjngrrl Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    How fast are you going? I've never been a 'runner' nor an exerciser. Literally went from the Couch to the road (on Week 6). What has been working for me is not caring about speed -- just endurance. My 8 year old would joke that she can walk faster than I 'run', but that's ok...every week has gotten easier. A good pair of shoes helps. Also read a few articles on proper form, and find something that keeps your mind off of it too (books on tape, good music, etc.). I have to say for me, it's really been a mind game. My mind saying "I can't run" was holding me back. Every time I get out there, I have to overcome that voice. So ask yourself how much of it is your physical body and how much of it is your mind?
  • oandptech
    Options
    I am one of those that isn't cut out for running or jogging except for small amounts.
    One, I am SLOOOOOW, no matter how hard I push myself. I can move very quickly initially but quickly fatigue.
    It also makes my knees and ankles swell and hurt. Finally my doc told me I have to find something else low impact.
    Belly Dance and Zumba done carefully with a bunch of weight training! :D

Everyone has a different ratio or fast twitch vs. slow twitch muscle. I can walk for MILES but ONLY walk.
  • mindygood
    mindygood Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Not sure if you are pacing.. we just finished C25K... I was more succesful than I thought I could ever be... Here are somethings I had to have to get to that though... good running shoes for your gate from someone who knows how to assess that are a MUST... good running tunes.... clothes that don't bug you when you run or rub etc... I found capris to be my fav.... a partner to push you to get out and do it.... and remember it is mind over matter... you can do it!!!! One of my friends posted a great quote too" A mile is a mile no matter how fast you go..." So slow it down and pace it... you can do it!!!
  • wazzanz
    Options
    Quite right unless you're a 'natural runner' then should find another exercise.

I have run over the years but would limp around with bad hips, lower back and even sore knees for a few days. That repitive thump thump thump thump not good for a lot of people.

Now i can do high impact aerobics and am fine. Is just the mixing it up and building up strength in your muscles rather than relying on joints.

If you can run and enjoy it then great (as no better way to burn calories) but if not then you're quite normal and need to find other forms of exercise.
  • hellotherecupcake
    Options
    Could it be that you're pushing yourself too fast?

I'm doing Couch to 5K right now and am also not overweight (5'2" 110 lbs) and whenever I do the program I take it really slow. I can definitely see you getting tired if you're pushing yourself too fast.
  • stellcorb
    stellcorb Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I'm not really familiar w/ the C25K program... but I used to HATE running. I was in the military and I had a hard time passing my 2 mile run on my PT test and would get physically ill before I had to run in formation. I could do the elliptical for an hour at a high resistance, but couldn't run on the treadmill for 5 minutes w/out feeling like I was going to puke...Several years ago I couldn't afford a gym membership and decided to try running again. I took it slow and walked when I needed to but made sure to push myself a bit. I played a fun music mix as well to take my mind off of it. Now I love it to the point where I crave it.
    You may not be "made" for running, but maybe you just need to go at your own pace instead of following a program... no one program or style works for every person.
  • CVALGAL
    CVALGAL Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    The first time I went through that program, it took me 9 months instead of 9 weeks. But I did it! I didn't care how long it took, I just wanted to conquer it because I have always hated running. I am currently going through it again, but I have not had to repeat any weeks. I'm going to run a 5k in November as well! All I can say is if you really want to, you can do it. Don't give up!
  • susiesweets
    Options
    I am not cutout for running at all but that partly has to do with osteo arthritis in my hips from an adolescent bone disease and the subsequent surgeries to " correct" the damage/ stop it from progressing. I have run on my treadmill at 4mph for up to 45 minutes but it has to be to very energetic musicals or music videos and a few stretches of 3mph mixed in to be able to breathe again. Sigh, running is just NOT for me. I hate all these people that say when you get to a certain point the endorphins kick in and it's fun ... I call BS... everyone I see running looks in pain or miserable, I've had stints where I tried to run and never reached this supposed endorphin high... if I ever did run long enough to get there I'm sure it would be the onset of my heart attack or stroke kicking in. No... running is not for everyone.
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it's our own mental, not physical, barriers that we need to break through. I found listening to music with a really good beat took my mind off the fact that I was jogging (running is not my forte). The other thing I do is not to set my expectations too high - I just wanted to finish the 7km run I signed up for and that was enough for me.
  • Pauline3290
    Options
    BUMP
  • fudgebudget
    fudgebudget Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I tried C25K several times over the last several years with no success, and it was the only thing I was doing. I am working my way through it successfully now because I took some time away from running and did strength training. It has made ALL the difference. SO MUCH BETTER.

Also - new shoes have been a huge help. I got Nike Free Runs, which have way more flexibility in the soles, and it has improved my form. No more shin splints or plantar fasciitis.

I would recommend weightlifting (you won't bulk, I swear) and getting stronger before trying C25K again to see if it makes as much of a difference for you as it has done for me. Also, try a special running store and have your gait/strike analyzed. I don't necessarily think that everyone is a runner, but if this is something that you want to do then I bet you can.
  • JLand918
    Options
    I have to say yes. I am around 260lbs even if I lost 100lbs or more you could not get me to run for distance for any reason. Just like a Top Fuel funny car is not meant for anything more then 1/4 mile, people are the same , the same person who can run a 5k is not the same person who can run a short distance and explode with strength through a door to knock it down. Every human is different not everyone can just run simply because they are thin etc. I am not saying you can not run in general but in my opinion just simply having a large amount of weight,fat loss on your body doesnt mean tell yourself "I should enter the Ironman"
  • smaschin
    Options
    you are human, you were born to run.
  • wazzanz
    Options

You are also born to eat but too much of it not good for you :)
  • susiesweets
    Options

ummm no... if humans were "born to run" we would be on all fours running like leopards and wolves.