Are some people just physically not cut out for running?

Options

Replies

• shellebelle87
    shellebelle87 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I'm not a runner. My shins always start killing me, even if I am speedwalking on an incline. I know your pain!! If there is an easy way to run please let me know!
  • ang3h
    ang3h Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Ugh running! I can walk all day and do the elliptical at a quick pace but I can't run at all.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    The hardest thing about running is starting IMO. I would think if you are at a 5K level, worrying about what you ate, didn't eat, or should eat are not your issues in running. I think you are simply trying to be a runner without putting yourself through the program to be a runner. You are giving up before the real work that will make you a runner begins. Slow down, don't worry about speed, worry about time and distances. you will be there before you know it.
  • Weebs628
    Weebs628 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    you are human, you were born to run.

That reminds me, I need to read that book "Born to Run" I've heard it's an amazing read.
  • toriaenator
    toriaenator Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Hmm maybe dont focus on a program at first; just listen to your body. even if youre going SUPER SLOW you will get better with time with consistency. when i first started cross country, i remember day one asking my coach if i was screwed because i couldnt even run one mile at a slow pace. a few weeks later i was running several miles and eventually i got to a point where i was one of the better runners! dont give up :)
  • tpittsley77
    tpittsley77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    You should read The Courage to Start by John the penguin Brigham. Perfect book for new runners!
  • tikafly
    tikafly Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I have never run a mile in my life, even with playing high school sports many moons ago.

Some people would say that I'm not physically cut out for running at my current 250lbs, but that hasn't stopped me. I'm on week 4 of C25K and going strong (albeit slow).

Nutrition and being underweight may have something to with your struggles. I agree with the others that a slower pace is very important.
  • gazz777au
    gazz777au Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I tried c25k myself briefly after many months of walking to lose my weight (over 60lb).

I feel much better now (certainly fitter for endurance walks), BUT 2 things seem to stop me from running.

1/ My lungs (or is it my control of them) won't really allow for any more than a 40-60 seconds before I start having problems.

2/ My feet - overpronation - it was left a bit late for me to get the right corrective measures for my feet (read Orthotics / and now a brace) - resulting in damage to tendon / ligament in ankle - caused probably by ignoring the pain, and a time there where I did try running and some "boot-camp" activities too I think.

I attribute both to my physical make-up - looser joints - Hypermobility - though a very stiff rib cage.

I believe I was not an accident, but my body is this way for a reason, so I am not discouraged, but will encourage myself and others to seek out things we can do.

These don't so much excuse me from other things as much as it does steer me to consider things like dancing (light moves, low/no impact), stretching, swimming and pushbike.

FR welcome as are other thoughts on this.
  • gazz777au
    gazz777au Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    you are human, you were born to run.

That reminds me, I need to read that book "Born to Run" I've heard it's an amazing read.

Bruce Springsteen ?
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    :heart: bumping for More Information. People keep telling me that I "Need" to Run but I just have ZERO interest in any Running. I would LOVE to Walk a 15 Minute Mile outside (currently I am doing about 17-18 min miles outside & 15 Minute Miles consistently on the Treadmill).
    :ohwell: Not sure if I am just weird or what.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Quite right unless you're a 'natural runner' then should find another exercise.
    I

Oh please!! I am anything but a natural runner - I'm built for comfort, not speed, hated running all my life, was always dead slow and found a million excuses why "I am not a runner"....Pure and utter BS...

Started running at 40, am still slow as can be, bur run 10km every Saturday for fun - and another 15- 20 during the week.....Even though my running coach (when I first started running) still laughs at my form and tells me "I run like a girl":bigsmile: Fine, I am a girl!

Throw in some walk breaks - my personal best for a ten km race was done with on the 10 minute run, one minute walk system...C25k as looong periods of running - I could not stick with that when I first started.... 10's and ones work
    KEEP it slow.....and you will be able to go further, and ultimately faster...
    And I started running at almost 230lbs - make sure you have good shoes and take it easy.....
  • Fallouts
    Options
    I'm not a fan of jogging, a bad right knee and shin splints usually don't mix well with the monotony of jogging. So, I just do sprinting instead, usually a 10x100m session takes about 25-30minutes and I feel like it's a much better workout.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    I'm not a runner. My shins always start killing me, even if I am speedwalking on an incline. I know your pain!! If there is an easy way to run please let me know!

Get fitted for good shoes at a speciality store - I had BAD shin splints since the age of 18 - it bugged me until I got fitted for the right shoes - I run a lot, and as long as I wear my running shoes and not just my everyday sneakers or gym shoes, I don't know I even have shins....
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    It's rare that I do this, but I'm bumping to come back later to this one. :)
  • divemunkey
    divemunkey Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Running is one of the most uncomfortable activities I can participate in. My hips hurt, my boobs hurt, and it doesn't matter what I wear to keep that from happening. I end up with injuries that take a long time to heal whenever I attempt a "run" beyond 200 m. I can sprint here and there, but that's it. I'll stick to other forms of exercise, thank you.
  • cbevan1229
    cbevan1229 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering exactly what you mean by "can't get through week 3." Are you unable to finish the workout, or are you just not feeling ready to move onto the next week? If you are stopping, is it because of pain in your legs/feet, or because you're out of breath?
  • ScottFree_66
    Options
    Maybe it's your form? I never thought I was a runner until a friend of mine told me what proper form is like and it just clicked and running became so, so much easier. I even have asthma too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaYQwq6TnXY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

This video helped me immensely. Good luck!

awesome looking video... I've always had problems with Shin Splints and Plantar Fasciitis and this looks it will help.
  • Maria_T007
    Options
    You can run!!! Work on form...on where your feet hits....and don't give up. Skip week 3...just move on would be my suggestion!
  • PisceanDream224
    Options
    Perhaps you can try "sprinting" a few times. Instead of doing the C25K that day, take a walk for about 3 minutes after you warmup, then jog for about 30 seconds, then sprint as fast as you can for 15, then slow down and repeat about 4 times... Do this for a week (resting at least 3 days) and then try C25K week 3 again. Maybe it will help. :)
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Slow down. If you can't have a conversation while you're running you're going too fast. This will probably mean slowing wayyyyy down. Do it, you need to build that endurance before you can get speed. Stick with it, it'll happen if you want it to.