Are some people just physically not cut out for running?

Options

Replies

• Goosiesnougs
    Options
    It took me over 6----YEA 6 months to be able to run 1 mile without stopping.
    Don't quit, slow your pace down till you can catch a good deep breath than pick it up again. Slow and steady is my motto. I don't care how long it takes as long as I get there without stopping:) Good luck
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    My suggestions... run slower, and alter the plan til it fits you. Week 3 is supposed to be to run 90 seconds, walk 90 seconds, run 3 minutes, walk 3 minutes. Try run two minutes, walk two minutes instead. Or don't go by any set intervals at all, and just run (slowly) until you need to walk, then walk until you feel good enough to run again. Go outside, listen to some great music, and tell yourself you're going to go two miles. Go one mile, running when you can, walking when you need to, then turn around and head home. Next time you go out, try to run a little bit more. Then a little more. Then a little more.

Personally, I've been running close to two years now, and have won a few medals so I'm pretty good at it, and that's STILL how I tackle running. When I need a break, I take a break. I finish the distance I set for myself, but I'm not going to get upset if I need to walk a little here and there.
  • tajmel
    tajmel Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Even when I was very fit I was a slow, awkward runner. Super strong, excellent endurance, very slow. We're all a little different. I'm one of the worst runners I've ever seen, but I've never met anyone (who wasn't super obese) who actually couldn't run. Just keep at it!
  • cma17
    cma17 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Don't be too hard on yourself. I hate running with a passion well at least I did... I got terrible stomach cramps, aching back and lead legs but I kept on going and what I have found is the longer I run the better I feel.
    I didn't do the program you are doing, but I started with a 3k run with two small walks along the way. I did this two days in a row before quitting every time (trust me I started about 5 times). Then I just decided to run the entire way one day I thought I was going to die but I did it and then I knew I could do it every time.
    Recently I have been better I'm on day 12 now and have been for 10 runs the first 7 were 3km and the last 3 have been 4.5 kms on day 14 I will up it to 5 kms. My stomach still stomach still screams at me but after about 2k's it shuts up. You just have to push through.
    I find running is all in your mind.
    My two biggest tips are run on a empty stomach and with someone! My partner runs twice my speed at 16 kph and runs marathons but he runs with me every day and gets screamed at if he isn't at least two inches behind me at all times =P (I'm not that fit yet that I can talk and run screaming does for now) but I still like to feel like I'm winning the race ... =)
  • wavdawg4
    wavdawg4 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried that program..

But, I can honestly say that I NEVER used to like running or jogging. I hated it and it always killed me, my body and I'd have breathing issues. Pretty sure I'm a light asthmatic.
    Anywho, now I can keep up a pretty steady pace on the elliptical (6.2 sometimes to 7.0) and when i'm out walking sometimes I can do bits of jogging. Never for minutes on hand but a minute or two here and there and I *gasp* actually Enjoy it!

sometimes it just takes time and you have to be ready for it.
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Good shoes made a world of difference for me. Before getting really good running shoes, I couldn't make it past a mile and a half on the treadmill on a really really great day. That just wasn't happening. I got new shoes, and a week later I was running 2 miles. Now I'm doing 5K jogs. It's also a mental game - sometimes you just have to push yourself to go that extra 30 seconds.

All that said... If it's not working for you, it's not working. There are plenty of other ways to exercise that you might find more enjoyable.
  • MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Options
    I've seen lots of people take weeks on a single workout....you are not so different.

Running is very much a mental game too. If you tell yourself that you are not a runner, then you will not be a runner.

I knew a person who kept telling me that she wasn't a runner....it was hard....whatever....it's all an excuse. I kept after her about it because she kept telling me how much she wanted to run.

Right now she is on week 5....but it has taken her over a year to get to that point. I am so proud of her. She's proud of herself, too.

What took her so long was getting over that hump of telling herself that she wasn't a runner. She had herself convinced.

There are some people who are physically unable to run....but I think a dr should be the one to determine that.

Good luck. I LOVE running. I tell myself that every day. As a matter of fact, I cried the day I realized that I was a runner. You can do it too. Just push through the negative thoughts and instill some positive ones. (Oh, and I've completed C25k twice now. Great program. I'm currently doing bridge to 10 k)
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Don't know if I am cut out for running or not. I just don't like to do it. Although a 5k accomplishment would look nice on my MFP resume, I think I can still die happy not having done it. Kudos to all of you who like to run!
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    I've been running off/on for 14yrs. After having my 4th baby in october last year, just 18 mo after my 3rd, I decided in August that I was ready to get back to it. My husband never quit running even when I refused to while pregnant. We've been subscribers to runners world for years and our last subscription offered a book on running. It has been the best tool I've found as far as getting started. When you start you focus on minutes not miles. My older 2 (7&8) started with me last month and even they've loved the program. You start with walking for 10mins then over the next 10mins run for 2min and walk for 1, ending the workout with 10mins of walking. Each week you add a min to the run and take time off the warm up/cool down walking. Yesterday I was able to run with my husband for the full 30mins and it felt amazing. I didn't go far or fast but I'm ok with that. When I'm with my kids we only run for 5/6mins at a time but they run faster so in my mind they are helping condition me.lol. This program has helped me not be sore or achey which I use to get. Use to have a ache in my hip. It builds up slowly so your body can adjust. Good running shoes help too. I would suggest going to a running store and having them fit you. Doesn't mean you have to buy them there. I've found lately I love the minimalist shoes, but really whatever makes you comfortable. I love my nikes but my hubby is a huge fan of the merrels. Music helps too. I don't know anything about the C25K program. Hope this helps. Good luck!
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I hate running. So I don't. And I have heart condition that makes my heart beat REALLY FAST- so running more than 5 minutes isn't that good anyway (plus, I don't like my ovaries getting jiggled all over the place in there).

Find an exercise you are better at or you like. Maybe raquet ball, swimming, climbing trees... or bicycling. I hate running, but can ride my bike for hours! (if I had hours free for riding) I like gardening and Pilates
  • Sarge516
    Sarge516 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I run....but I run like a dump truck....or maybe a tank....... LOL

I *hate* running just to "jog", but I will do it.
  • Factory_Reset
    Options
    Don't be too hard on yourself. I hate running with a passion well at least I did... I got terrible stomach cramps, aching back and lead legs but I kept on going and what I have found is the longer I run the better I feel.
    I didn't do the program you are doing, but I started with a 3k run with two small walks along the way. I did this two days in a row before quitting every time (trust me I started about 5 times). Then I just decided to run the entire way one day I thought I was going to die but I did it and then I knew I could do it every time.
    Recently I have been better I'm on day 12 now and have been for 10 runs the first 7 were 3km and the last 3 have been 4.5 kms on day 14 I will up it to 5 kms. My stomach still stomach still screams at me but after about 2k's it shuts up. You just have to push through.
    I find running is all in your mind.
    My two biggest tips are run on a empty stomach and with someone! My partner runs twice my speed at 16 kph and runs marathons but he runs with me every day and gets screamed at if he isn't at least two inches behind me at all times =P (I'm not that fit yet that I can talk and run screaming does for now) but I still like to feel like I'm winning the race ... =)
    I agree with this!! the empty stomach is soo true for me.
  • windycitycupcake
    windycitycupcake Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    it will take practice and a very long time, but you can train yourself to run. the only thing i wonder about is ladies who are topheavy...you know, a big rack...i would think it would be really uncomfortable to run even if you are in good shape
  • jennifermaffei17
    Options
    I can run but due to being overweight...it's not the most fun due to getting winded at about mile 1.
    I COULD train myself but some people just don't like running...I'm one of those people. I love to jog like on the beach or with a friend for a little ways but not doing all these marathons and what not that people do.

My husband and I have a long standing joke: Why would I run?...unless something is chasing me
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    It might not be so much a matter of not beign cut out for running, but not being cut out for a TYPE of running. Sprinters and distance runners tend to have different builds and their bodies operate differently for the way they run (http://www.livestrong.com/article/550102-the-physical-difference-between-long-distance-runners-sprinters/).

And example could be my brother and I, although we're both about the same height (about 1 or 2 inches different), we're different types of runners. He was a cross-country stud. Thin and lanky, he could go on for days. Me, I'm built more "powerfully" with a larger structure and more muscle mass. If you stood in front of me and my brother stood behind me, you wouldn't be able to see him. Between the two of us, I'm the sprinter. The joke was that, if we were about to fight, if he could make it for about 200 meters, he had a good chance of getting away. The challenge for him would be getting that far before I caught up to him.

Even with that difference, I still train to run a distance. But, while sometimes it seems to make sense to run for your goal distance and then simply try to be faster each time, I progressed best when I broke it up. Because I knew I was more of a sprinter than a marathoner, instead of running 2 miles and trying to do it faster each time, I'd basically sprint a lap (1/4 mile), rest, sprint another lap, and so forth. Then, I'd cut down on the rest times and, essentially, string together a series of sprints into a 2-mile run.

But here's the thing: You CAN run. You just need to find the training mechanism that will work for you.
  • optimusmom
    optimusmom Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I suffered a stress fracture in my hip several years ago running a charity 10K and I haven't run much since. Now, I'm planning on participating in a sprint triathalon next August which includes a 5K run. I'm starting slow with power walking and aqua jogging. I think slow and steady will win the race. Everyone works through the C25K program differently, maybe try some different cardio or leg strengthening exercises and perhaps that will help you get over the hump!
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    you will find me run for 2 occasions:

1. somebody is breaking into my house and I'm RUNNING to get my gun.
    2. somebody just told me I could have those donuts on the counter without gaining any weight.

those are the only 2 reasons. other than that there is no place I need to get that some brisk walking won't get me.
  • unsound
    unsound Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Running can be pretty hard on your body, depending on lots of factors (not just weight or overall fitness). With careful training and patience, you can probably get there. But what I wonder is - why are you running? Is running a 5K something you really want to do? Or are you doing it just for health and general fitness? Because if it's the latter and it's not working out for you, then it seems like there are probably better ways to approach it.
  • tpittsley77
    tpittsley77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    To all of those that have a mental differentiation between running and jogging..... may I please just say....

The definition of to jog: to move my shoving, bumping, or jerking. To jar. To move with a jolting rhythm.

If that is what you are doing, of course it will hurt. It doesn't matter how slow you are moving. You are RUNNING! Be proud and own it!
  • Factory_Reset
    Options
    it will take practice and a very long time, but you can train yourself to run. the only thing i wonder about is ladies who are topheavy...you know, a big rack...i would think it would be really uncomfortable to run even if you are in good shape
    LOL!! running while being top heavy is just fine as long as you purchase a very, very good sports bra. Usually means expensive, but it's worth it! A friend I ran with a long time ago use to double bra for our runs....cracked me up!