Anyone eat only the lean meats?

Options

Replies

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    turkey's not hugely eaten in australia (except at christmas)! But we are HUGE lamb eaters so it evens out.

I live on chicken and fish and occasional bacon. My doctors suggested I try and up my red meat intake (iron deficient, like everyone ever) but I just can't. Someone puts a steak in front of me and I gag.

You might want to try venison. It blows beef's iron levels out of the water, is extremely lean, and has a different taste than beef.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I have a question!

I see a lot of people specify that when they eat beef it is free range, grass fed etc, but never see anyone mention anything like that for chicken or turkey. Why is that?

My guess is because white meats don't have the stigma that red meats do (whether it has to do with how the CAFOs raise/feed fowl, I don't know). Also, I'm fairly certain birds don't actually eat grass (aside from incidental ingestion), and since "free range" doesn't have an actual, official meaning like "grass fed" does, you can't really go by such labels.

There are numerous problems with CAFO meat, most stemming from the unnatural diet the animals are fed (corn is actually very bad for ruminants like cows), and nearly all of which are avoidable by sticking with grass fed/pastured.

That said, if you can get truly free range poultry, it would very likely be quite a bit better in a number of ways than CAFO poultry. (If you want a real treat, find a hunter who can get you some grouse, pheasant, wild turkey, or other wild poultry, yum!)

My aunt has free range hens and since they aren't penned up in cages (which is the definition of free range) they have the ability to eat little stones and bugs like they do in the wild. Seriously the best eggs I've EVER had. She lives 3 hours away so I can't get them much, but when I do, it's always difficult to go back to store bought eggs.

In the US, legally speaking, "free range" only means that they have access to the outdoors, not that the animals actually make use of it (USDA definition). The reality is a far cry from the original husbandry term.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_range#Free_range_poultry
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I eat fish, white meat poultry, seafood, wild game, and egg whites 90 percent of the time. I seldom eat pork or beef, for a myriad of reasons from antibiotics to cholesterol. I've sort of lost my taste for it as well. I live in prime cattle country so people think I'm insane. Then I tell them I eat deer and elk and they say, "Oh okay. You're alright then."
  • mabelbabel1
    mabelbabel1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I eat whatever I fancy on the day....I try to always have some chicken breasts in the fridge so I can cook them up for a quick protein snack but I will happily eat all red meats, game, fish, poultry, seafood as long as it fits within my calorie goal.

I don't eat visible fat on meats...but that's just a preference....hate the texture of it!
  • leeann0517
    leeann0517 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    What makes pork and beef bad exactly?

You can have lean cuts of both

i was wondering the same thing

plus they can be leaner than some chicken and turkey.
  • leeann0517
    leeann0517 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Normally I only eat chicken, turkey and fish. I dont like pork, so I dont eat it. I'll eat beef every once in a blue moon. I feel bad ab eating cows, cuz they can love u. Chicken, Turkey and fish cannot, so that doesn't bother me LOL

seriously??? all animals are able to feel pain so I would think they can feel other emotions too.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Heeelll no. Fat is part of a healthy diet.
    Gimme some ribeye.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I haven't eaten a mammal in almost 20 years...
    I eat elk, venison, beef raised by my in-laws, chicken, pork, turkey, tuna, salmon. You name it, I eat it. I don't eat much processed meat though. When I do my yearly labs the Dr is usually shocked by my cholesterol numbers. I get asked what I eat to have such great numbers. I really think the quality of your meat makes a huge difference. Obviously the deer and elk are "organic", we buy tuna and salmon off the boat, not farm raised.

Yet I still have high cholesterol.
    Genetics play just as big roll as diet unfortunately.

My mom hasn't eaten much meat since my dad died 10 years ago, yet she's still got high enough cholesterol that she has to take medicine (cause diet doesn't change it)
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I eat the terrible, delicious processed meats.
  • RavenHershey0107
    Options
    I have digestive issues and red meat is a big trigger for me. If it weren't for that then I wouldn't see the point in cutting it out. If I eat pork I usually go for a roast or tenderloin, I don't care for the fattier cuts simply because of the texture. For the most part I eat chicken, turkey and fish.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    my main meat is turkey and chicken thighs but i still eat fattier meats like pork and lamb. honestly i think it all evens out. a serving of lamb might have more fat and calories than a serving of chicken, but the lamb keeps me fuller longer.

i dont eat beef because it tastes yucky. if i could stand it the taste and the smell then i'd definitely eat it
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    my trainer told me that there's nothing wrong with eating red meat.. as long as it's not farm grown
    Your trainer says to only eat red meat that is grown where, in a lab?

Oh no...not the bandaid burgers. Cloned meat is ****ed up looking, since it has no blood in it.
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I eat all types of meat (even fake meat like tofu) All things in moderation!
  • zebisis
    zebisis Posts: 157
    Options
    I eat fish, (though I stay away from farm raised salmon) white meat turkey and chicken, filet mignon only for cow, and bacon on occasion.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    I love all meat, though I kinda find the "leaner" cuts to be flavorless. My favorites are juicy steaks, lamb, pork (bacon, belly, rinds, etc) and goat. Any game meats I can get my hands on (venison) are the best.

Tuna's alright... Though salmon's better. Salmon FTW.

With poultry... chicken breast is kinda boring. Especially skin-free, unless garnished in some kinda spice or with something else. I love chicken legs - and I love duck. Duck is awesome.
  • beekuzz
    beekuzz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I eat mostly chicken and fish. But I do love my red meat. So I have hamburger meat very rarely for now to cut the fat cals. I eat steak for special occasions, cause I like a big yummy steak. But I look forward to having more red meat when I hit my goal and get on maintenance calories. Sometimes we've been adding more veggies with any meats to cut the cals and add bulk.

Bacon and sausage and pizza are just out for now.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    No. Natural saturated fats are good for you, preferably from animals that are allowed to eat their natural diet.
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    I don't eat beef or pork. I guess it's not really for "health reasons" though. I just think it's disgusting, especially pork *bleh*.

I really hate fatty meat. And I won't eat chicken if it has fat on it. I have to cut it all of. It REALLY grosses me out. ** This applies for dark meat, too. I only eat white meat**
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    i eat all meats.
    red meat is awesome
  • fansiefree
    fansiefree Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Mostly just chicken breast, shrimp, and turkey but every other week or so I'll have some sort of steak or pork. I don't think it's necessary to cut red meats out completely, but I cut down quite a bit.