New York OKs nation's first ban on super-sized sugary drinks

Options

Replies

• millyvanilli321
    millyvanilli321 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    It may not be a very effective law or change how much soda an individual will buy, but it is certainly raising enough awareness of the issue for it to be a thread here! I think that's a big positive outcome of it.

I agree with the above poster who mentioned labelling - if soda had a warning such as "sugar has ....effect on the body" like cigarettes do, it will raise individual awareness and actually put the decision in the consumers hands - to be educated and warned about the issue and STILL go and drink 16oz in one go then that puts the decision, and therefore the responsibility, on the individual.

I'm in the UK so I'm not really affected by the issue, but I don't think I've seen soda measures that big over here. Must make you need to pee like a racehorse!!
  • DocCollins_SFA
    Options
    100% for it. Since Marijuana is illegal and it shouldn't be because it's perfectly safe, why not ban something that really hurts us? Why do they need to sell large quantities of sugar anyway?. It's only for profit. Money always matters more than peoples health. I wish they would do that in all states. And I'm glad McDonald's is now going to post it's calorie content in the actual restaurants. As a nation we are dying of excess fat and sugar consumption. I understand peoples concerns over the government being in our personal business but it really pisses me off that money (for profit) has more importance than the consumers health.

They sell such large quantities of sugar because the market demands it. They will sell what the consumers buy. It's us, not them. They are only going to make more money now anyway because 2 medium Coke's are going to cost more than 1 large one did.
  • kabarnes45
    kabarnes45 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Just because it is unhealthy doesn't mean our government has the authority to regulate it. This type of legislation is absurd. I don't even drink soda, but this is silly. I expect they'll be coming for your Venti Frappaccinos soon.
  • GoldspursX3
    GoldspursX3 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    100% for it. Since Marijuana is illegal and it shouldn't be because it's perfectly safe, why not ban something that really hurts us? Why do they need to sell large quantities of sugar anyway?. It's only for profit. Money always matters more than peoples health. I wish they would do that in all states. And I'm glad McDonald's is now going to post it's calorie content in the actual restaurants. As a nation we are dying of excess fat and sugar consumption. I understand peoples concerns over the government being in our personal business but it really pisses me off that money (for profit) has more importance than the consumers health.

Shocker! A business that is trying to make a profit?! How dare they!?

Everyone should know by now that a diet rich in fast food and soda is unhealthy. How could you not? I still like to get an occasional Big Mac or a Nacho Bell Grande.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Everyone should know by now that a diet rich in fast food and soda is unhealthy. How could you not?

The implication of this however is that ploughing further money into education programmes will not work.

This then leads us to the question if the carrot doesn't work then perhaps you have to use a stick....
  • Culley34
    Options
    Can't you just buy two 16 oz sodas if you want more?
  • GoldspursX3
    Options
    Everyone should know by now that a diet rich in fast food and soda is unhealthy. How could you not?

The implication of this however is that ploughing further money into education programmes will not work.

This then leads us to the question if the carrot doesn't work then perhaps you have to use a stick....

Like previously stated, prohibition will never work. Besides the fact that the government has no place determining what people choose to consume, individuals will always find a way to beat the system.
  • Kagami_Taiga
    Kagami_Taiga Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Against.

Let people make their own decisions.

Seem right ethically, but left to their own devices some people will eat themselves to the grave.
  • Bassgirl51
    Options
    It is a restriction of freedom. I say let us make a choice. Charge a lot more for the big drinks and put the extra charge into the health care system to pay for the added obese problems. If I want a big sugary drink and it makes me fat that is my choice but I pay for it. If I want to smoke, I can smoke, but I am going to pay for it.
    Most people will not pay more. ( look at all the smokers who have quit because of the price) And in my state that smoke tax when into the trauma system and the children's hospital.

I am not for more taxes either. More like a risk pricing.
  • GoldspursX3
    Options
    Against.

Seem right ethically, but left to their own devices some people will eat themselves to the grave.

People will do many things that will bring them to an early grave. I remember news stories of people dying from over-exercising on programs like Insanity. Guess we should enforce a strict time limit on the amount of gym time you are allowed, eh?
  • DocCollins_SFA
    Options
    Against.

Sounds bad but...Survival of the fittest
  • Kagami_Taiga
    Options
    I am basically against the deals on bulk buy or discount on bigger portions...
    if 500ml of something cost $2, then 250ml should cost $1 or say $ 1.1 max (including overhead of packaging)

(Having said that, I mean the cost of smaller quantities should be reduced and not to increase the cost of bigger ones)

In the UK, in cinemas, lets say 100g popcorn cost £3, 200g will cost £3.25 and 400g costs £ 3.50 (hypothetical figures). so a person is naturally inclined to buy the bigger portion to get value for money (and end up eating a lot more)

Shame is that even supermarkets do such deals but only for crap foods like crisps etc and never for fruits/veggies or healthy stuff.

These are actually the tactics that bigger companies use to make more money. To be honest they don't care if everyone turns 50 stones because of them.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    It's like the war on drugs or prohibition.

More than anything, it's about the loss of freedom. People will make bad choices no matter what size the cups are.
  • aliceg94
    aliceg94 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Why not ban sugar full stop? It's a harmful substance with no nutritional benefits and a great deal of harmful effects on people. Sugar probably kills more people than tobacco. Just my controversial two cents ;-)

Reminds me of an episode of the Simpsons...
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options

Like previously stated, prohibition will never work. Besides the fact that the government has no place determining what people choose to consume, individuals will always find a way to beat the system.

Yep, I agree that prohibition is not really the answer.

However, while people will find a way to consume whatever they want if it means that much to them, imposing a barrier will reduce consumption to some degree. Most people follow the path of least resistance.

To tackle a difficult problem sometimes you have to make difficult decisions.

However, it is clear to me that the market, left to its own devices will actually worsen the obesity problem - it is in the interests of business to promote excessive consumption, not reduce it. That leaves it down to the individual or imposing some kind of regulation. Clearly leaving it to the individual is not working terribly well at the moment...
  • GoldspursX3
    Options
    I am basically against the deals on bulk buy or discount on bigger portions...
    if 500ml of something cost $2, then 250ml should cost $1 or say $ 1.1 max (including overhead of packaging)

(Having said that, I mean the cost of smaller quantities should be reduced and not to increase the cost of bigger ones)

In the UK, in cinemas, lets say 100g popcorn cost £3, 200g will cost £3.25 and 400g costs £ 3.50 (hypothetical figures). so a person is naturally inclined to buy the bigger portion to get value for money (and end up eating a lot more)

Shame is that even supermarkets do such deals but only for crap foods like crisps etc and never for fruits/veggies or healthy stuff.

These are actually the tactics that bigger companies use to make more money. To be honest they don't care if everyone turns 50 stones because of them.

I want to open a BBQ joint when I get out of the Army. BBQ is NOT a food that should be a main staple in anyone's diet. Should I turn people away that appear overweight? Would that be the "ethical" thing to do?

Or maybe have a menu that people over a certain weight must order off of?
  • Lityboy
    Options
    I agree entirely with you!!!
  • running_shoe
    running_shoe Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I find it unfortunate that there is really so little common sense left in the world.
  • GoldspursX3
    Options

Yep, I agree that prohibition is not really the answer.

However, while people will find a way to consume whatever they want if it means that much to them, imposing a barrier will reduce consumption to some degree. Most people follow the path of least resistance.

To tackle a difficult problem sometimes you have to make difficult decisions.

However, it is clear to me that the market, left to its own devices will actually worsen the obesity problem - it is in the interests of business to promote excessive consumption, not reduce it. That leaves it down to the individual or imposing some kind of regulation. Clearly leaving it to the individual is not working terribly well at the moment...

And leaving it up to the government has never faired any better.....
  • Kagami_Taiga
    Options
    Against.

People will do many things that will bring them to an early grave. I remember news stories of people dying from over-exercising on programs like Insanity. Guess we should enforce a strict time limit on the amount of gym time you are allowed, eh?

I think if it's less of the forced approach and more education then it would be better. If the customers had more of an idea of what they're eating and what they're doing to themselves then it would help.