New York OKs nation's first ban on super-sized sugary drinks

Options

Replies

• BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    BBQ is NOT a food that should be a main staple in anyone's diet.
    This is blasphemy. It's clear that you're not from Texas.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I think it's a stupid law. Why not ban cheese cake serving sizes at The Cheesecake Factory? Dessert sizes in some restaurants are the size of what they should be for 4 people. How about a calorie count at sprinkles/crave cupcakes?

I would rather there is a law about posting calories and nutrition on restaurant foods. Put a calorie count on the soda cups.

Check out calorie counts on prime rib vs sirloin or fried chicken vs roast chicken without the skin. Menus with calorie counts and macros would be better than "bans" on certain food serving sizes.
  • GoldspursX3
    GoldspursX3 Posts: 516 Member
    Options

And it kills a little of my soul to say it but sadly it's true. No matter how delicious it may be.

I'm from East Texas.
  • rehan82
    Options
    "It's sad that the board wants to limit our choices," Liz Berman, a business owner and chairwoman of New Yorkers for Beverage Choices, a beverage industry-sponsored group, said in a statement. "We are smart enough to make our own decisions about what to eat and drink."

Her association speaks for itself! And NO people are absolutely not smart enough to make right decisions when it comes to food!

I do not live in New York but totally in support of this!
  • Kagami_Taiga
    Kagami_Taiga Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I am basically against the deals on bulk buy or discount on bigger portions...
    if 500ml of something cost $2, then 250ml should cost $1 or say $ 1.1 max (including overhead of packaging)

(Having said that, I mean the cost of smaller quantities should be reduced and not to increase the cost of bigger ones)

In the UK, in cinemas, lets say 100g popcorn cost £3, 200g will cost £3.25 and 400g costs £ 3.50 (hypothetical figures). so a person is naturally inclined to buy the bigger portion to get value for money (and end up eating a lot more)

Shame is that even supermarkets do such deals but only for crap foods like crisps etc and never for fruits/veggies or healthy stuff.

These are actually the tactics that bigger companies use to make more money. To be honest they don't care if everyone turns 50 stones because of them.

I want to open a BBQ joint when I get out of the Army. BBQ is NOT a food that should be a main staple in anyone's diet. Should I turn people away that appear overweight? Would that be the "ethical" thing to do?

Or maybe have a menu that people over a certain weight must order off of?

No, but in Britain if someone's had a few too many to drink then the barman can refuse to sell them anymore drink. So instead of letting one man by himself order 4 lbs of steak and two sides of fries, that's also washed down by a 64 oz soda, you could use some common sense and tell the guy to chill out a bit.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options

BBQ Chicken is a mainstay food in my nutrition plan. Sauce on the side! Go to food in any southern city as well as my hometown of Houston!
  • GoldspursX3
    Options
    "It's sad that the board wants to limit our choices," Liz Berman, a business owner and chairwoman of New Yorkers for Beverage Choices, a beverage industry-sponsored group, said in a statement. "We are smart enough to make our own decisions about what to eat and drink."

Her association speaks for itself! And NO people are absolutely not smart enough to make right decisions when it comes to food!

I do not live in New York but totally in support of this!

So who is smart enough to make your choices for you then? Dolphins?
  • xyril
    xyril Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I'm 10000% against this. If people want to make unhealthy choices, let them. As an alteration of a saying goes: First they came for the 32oz big gulps, but I did not speak up.....Whats next? A ban on bacon because it's too salty? A ban on burgers because someone could throw fattening toppings on it? I got fat without the government, let me get skinny without it.
  • GoldspursX3
    Options

BBQ Chicken is a mainstay food in my nutrition plan. Sauce on the side! Go to food in any southern city as well as my hometown of Houston!

Love BBQ chicken. I was mainly referring to brisket and smoked sausage.
  • missprincessgina
    missprincessgina Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    So people can just buy a 1 or 2 liter bottle instead of getting a super gulp or "oversized" cup. What if two people wanna share an oversized soda?? We only have one cup holder in our ride and if we are on a road trip we'll get a oversized soda to share. We aren't overweight. I know how much sugar, caffeine and chemicals are in soda/pop and maybe once in awhile I want one. I think the ban is stupid. I'd rather see them put nutritional facts on restaurant food like they have to do in NYC or Philly.
  • DocCollins_SFA
    Options

I'm a Texan but my sister moved to Colorado not that long ago and couldn't find good bbq anywhere until she ran across this little family owned bbq food truck and what do you know, they were from Texas!
  • GoldspursX3
    Options
    if 500ml of something cost $2, then 250ml should cost $1 or say $ 1.1 max (including overhead of packaging)

(Having said that, I mean the cost of smaller quantities should be reduced and not to increase the cost of bigger ones)

In the UK, in cinemas, lets say 100g popcorn cost £3, 200g will cost £3.25 and 400g costs £ 3.50 (hypothetical figures). so a person is naturally inclined to buy the bigger portion to get value for money (and end up eating a lot more)

Shame is that even supermarkets do such deals but only for crap foods like crisps etc and never for fruits/veggies or healthy stuff.

These are actually the tactics that bigger companies use to make more money. To be honest they don't care if everyone turns 50 stones because of them.

I want to open a BBQ joint when I get out of the Army. BBQ is NOT a food that should be a main staple in anyone's diet. Should I turn people away that appear overweight? Would that be the "ethical" thing to do?

No, but in Britain if someone's had a few too many to drink then the barman can refuse to sell them anymore drink. So instead of letting one man by himself order 4 lbs of steak and two sides of fries, that's also washed down by a 64 oz soda, you could use some common sense and tell the guy to chill out a bit.

Same in the bars in the US.

If you tell someone they can't order the amount of food that they want do you really expect to stay in business long?
  • Kagami_Taiga
    Kagami_Taiga Posts: 124 Member
    Options

If you tell someone they can't order the amount of food that they want do you really expect to stay in business long?

If the majority of your customers aren't gluttons then yes, you could do well. How come bars that tell customers to call it a day because they had too much can stay in business? Because only a handful go way past their limit.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options

And leaving it up to the government has never faired any better.....

But it is in the interests of the government, and society at large, to at least try and tackle the problem.

There is no driver on the market to do so. In fact it is contrary to its function.
  • DocCollins_SFA
    Options

If the majority of your customers aren't gluttons then yes, you could do well. How come bars that tell customers to call it a day because they had too much can stay in business? Because only a handful go way past their limit.

Bars tell customers to call it a day because they don't want them to kill themselves or anybody else and be held responsible for it. One extra large soda isn't going to kill anybody in a day, but that amount in alcohol could.
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Dumbest thing I ever heard.
  • GoldspursX3
    Options

I don't think you can compare the two. If a bar overserves and the person dies of alcohol poisoning they can be held liable because that person it intoxicated to the point that rational decisions can not be made. Last I check Big Macs don't register on a breathalyzer.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    They should just have MFP's submit button on the register and print out on the receipt: "If you drank this everyday in addition to your normal meals, you'd gain 48 lbs a year."

Just kidding.

But if they want to do anything, go with the labeling, and have it specify how much of the daily intake it's estimated to be, in bigger letters. 25% of your daily intake on a 2000 calorie diet may make someone pause. I know it does for me--I rarely eat a microwave meal I love because it's almost half my daily calories if I stick to my calorie limit.
  • heroyalslimness
    heroyalslimness Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I'll go on record as saying--first all---I dislike the current leadership in NYC--aka Bloomberg.

I resent that, on a dime, he changes the laws to suit himself---but no doubt, the non-smoking ban in public places was a huge improvement in the quality of life. That's the single one thing he has done--that I'm grateful for.

When talk of this bill first surfaced--I laughed. No way would it be passed. I appreciated the spirit of it--after all, soda IS unhealthy. But,like really. The ban seemed silly and movie theaters in NYC launched an immediate counter promotion.."You Can't Tell New Yorkers WHAT To Do" campaign. Evidently--you can,I guess.

But because soda is not an illegal substance- who has the right to ration how much or large or small, portion sizes can be sold? What does government have to do with this? If it is FDA-approved?. Ban it from public school lunches. Ban it from institutions--but the private sector? Besides so many many things are unhealthy. Is this just a vapid token gesture? The posts here suggest more concrete methods to address the consumption of high sugar content.
    And there are so many pressing frightening issues in NYC that demand equal or more attention. I think there could have been better and productive use of taxpayer's money--and not infringing on personal freedom.

The Right to Choose---soda?