New York OKs nation's first ban on super-sized sugary drinks

Options

Replies

• fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I'm 10000% against this. If people want to make unhealthy choices, let them. As an alteration of a saying goes: First they came for the 32oz big gulps, but I did not speak up.....Whats next? A ban on bacon because it's too salty? A ban on burgers because someone could throw fattening toppings on it? I got fat without the government, let me get skinny without it.

Did you seriously just quote a holocaust poem in reference to soda?:noway:

I was reading through these posts thinking through the issue because really I never have taken it upon myself to think critically about people's soda intake before. Well, occasionally I have thought that my husband must be hurting himself by drinking more soda than the recommended daily intake for a person of water but beyond that, not much really.

I thought well I think more than 16 oz of soda is overkill. And I also know that I have drank more than that largely because it was available. I haven't ever been like, "I need a big gulp stat" but I have been like, "oh, that's my 3rd refill" at a restaurant. Now I just reach for water unless it's a small limited can or something.

But it took me 30 years to understand that and a lot of our kids in America are getting huge. Not big, huge. Kids need limits and parents aren't imposing them. Why aren't parents imposing limits for kids?

Maybe one reason is that they aren't able to impose limits for themselves.

So is the government banning of certain choices that can lead to dangerous or unhealthy practices required?

Well, that depends largely on whether the majority of people will 1) act in a more healthy regulated manner than before the ban or 2) people will rebel against the ban and behave in even an unhealthier manner. Behavior of society comes does to cultural norms. Americans are generally very individualistic. This has both positive and negative affects. Positively, we are diverse, innovative, competitive, driven to succeed, but negatively, we can tend towards selfish, indulgent, divisive behavior without regard for our fellow citizens or the affects of our actions.

So that leaves me knowing that while some people will be helped by the law (those that just were like me and just don't care so much for the extra soda), some people may actually in an act of rebellion and indulgence make their health worse.

I think a better option is taxation on the basis of societal affect, much like with tobacco. There should not be such a drive to tell our citizen's no but more of a drive to say, yes, but. Yes you may have tobacco, but it is unhealthy at this level and negatively affects our population so you must pay revenue back to society to exercise this choice. Likewise, yes you may have soda but it is unhealthy and you must pay revenue back to society to exercise this choice. Essentially, you must pay to play. (Don't get me started on the replacement of an income tax with a pollution tax.)

Taxation and regulation are touchy subjects because individualistic people don't like the government to tell them what to do as it limits the exercise of their personal choices. But some of these same people also like things like national parks, farm subsidizes, student loans, social security, roads, police departments, schools, fire departments and a place that is safe enough from chaos that they can indulge in their Route 44 Cherry Limeade.

There is always an opportunity cost in any choice. You chose to live in a governed nation so your cost is the tax and laws you must pay and follow, even when you think they are silly and over-broad. If you don't like it, I suggest you run for office and change it.

The problem being, and the last two party conventions proved this, it is NOT up to the people. The elected delegates were ignored and a candidate chosen before the Republican convention. The democratic convention showed a teleprompter deciding a vote before they were counted as well.

We the People have lost control far beyond a voting booth.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I think it's crap. When is the Gov't going to allow people to hold themselves accountable?? Are they going to cut up my steak and feed it to me too? They're stepping too far into my life. If I want a 20 oz diet coke...I'm going to d@mn well get me a 20 oz diet coke! No politician should be allowed in any way shape or form to tell me what I can and cannot eat. That's NOT why I elect officials into office.
  • traininglady911
    traininglady911 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    RE: NY Bans sugary drinks.

I am AGAINST it. This is the beginning of the end of personal choice. Where is the ACLU when you need them?
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    But the Health Department said on Thursday that most of the extraordinary response it received to the initiative - 32,000 of nearly 39,000 oral and written comments - favored the restriction.

NY Times says 60% dislike the ban.
    From a small sample of MFP users (this thread), 95% dislike the ban.
    The Health Depatment says that 82% are in favor of the ban.

Hmmmm. We're supposed to believe the Health Department?

From another poster:
    I see it as social responsibility at it's finest.
    I see it as government overreach at it's worst.
  • fbmandy55
    Options
    As a New Yorker that constantly sees obese children with their obese parents filling up buses and subways and being totally unable to sit in a seat without them overflowing onto me, I agree with this move.

Most people have no idea how to eat properly. Most of them are true gluttons that pass their bad habits down to their children. In NY, all children under 18 are entited to healthcare through the Medicaid system. That is tax payor money. It's bad enough you have all these obese adults skyrocketing health care costs with their weight-related medical problems, these adults are creating obese, unhealthy children. Those supersized drinks probably have more calories that one normal meal portion. Kids dont know any better. If it not an available option when families go out to eat, people will drink something else. It sucks that this type of control needs to be imposed but it is what it is and its for the better. It's not like the mayor is out right banning these drinks from consumption, he is just banning the ridiculous, unjustified portions of these drinks. They are bad for you and there should be some control exerted on the sale of things that are bad for the public. Its just too bad most of the public cant exercise the control on their own.

So do you support the banning of everything else that is equal in calories to a 32OZ soda? By you logic and opinion, beer and wine should be banned as well.
  • fbmandy55
    Options
    But the Health Department said on Thursday that most of the extraordinary response it received to the initiative - 32,000 of nearly 39,000 oral and written comments - favored the restriction.

NY Times says 60% dislike the ban.
    From a small sample of MFP users (this thread), 95% dislike the ban.
    The Health Depatment says that 82% are in favor of the ban.

Hmmmm. We're supposed to believe the Health Department?

From another poster:
    I see it as social responsibility at it's finest.
    I see it as government overreach at it's worst.

Another good point. The government will always come up with a survey to back their moves. ALWAYS.
  • fabfindz05
    fabfindz05 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I am opposed to anything that limits choices. Improper use of government. Dangerous precedent. Worried about where they will go next. Government can get get drunk with power.
    Ditto....

I think this is the dumbest idea. If people want sugary drinks, they'll get them.
  • srfnhooker
    srfnhooker Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Cradle to Grave nanny state is where we're headed. Not the America I want for my sons. Where the government and schools (lower and higher education) have failed is in the education regarding "proper" nutrition. Of course there is no money in proper nutrition, the big money is in having sick people.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I do not think sugary drinks are healthy---but,really. A ban? I'm curious. Are you pro or against? :drinker:
    -

I think that no one needs to drink 32oz of soda in one sitting.... BUT I don't think it's the governments job to control that. People need to learn to be pro-active with their health and exercise self-control!!!!
  • Deedsie
    Deedsie Posts: 348 Member
    Options

The problem being, and the last two party conventions proved this, it is NOT up to the people. The elected delegates were ignored and a candidate chosen before the Republican convention. The democratic convention showed a teleprompter deciding a vote before they were counted as well.

We have not lost control of it so much as given it up. We outnumber the politicians but if people don't get involved because the status quo isn't injurious enough for them to care or they are so focused on their individual desire that they cannot collaborate with others to create a better way, than you get what you get and you shouldn't throw a fit.
  • rhvandan
    Options
    People will just buy 2 medium sized sodas, or go buy a 2 liter somewhere else and pour to their hearts contents. This is a STUPID law. It is up to parents to educate their own kids to make good choices, so that they in turn educate their friends, etc, etc. If parents stopped being so god damned stupid and lazy (and I am a parent so I make no qualms saying that) then we can fight our own obesity epidemic. I am fat because I ate too much of the wrong foods and didn't exercise, not because the government didn't try hard enough to stop me. My parents used food as a reward, as a punishment, and they neglected to teach me the fundamentals of what food does for, or to, your body. Had I known as a child what I know now I might have made different choices. Now it is MY job to teach my kids how healthy foods make you feel and how unhealthy foods may be great as a treat now and then, but they do nothing for you if eaten as a staple. Great job, New York.. GREAT job...
  • srfnhooker
    srfnhooker Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I believe the politicians think they are smarter than the rest of us and they know best.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

This bears repeating! Even in the voting booth, we really have no control because we don't get to choose the candidates. The political parties and the media choose them for us.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Cradle to Grave nanny state is where we're headed. Not the America I want for my sons. Where the government and schools (lower and higher education) have failed is in the education regarding "proper" nutrition. Of course there is no money in proper nutrition, the big money is in having sick people.

Another civil war is where we will be headed if things don't turn around.
  • jeolds
    jeolds Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    It should include diet sodas. Why does anyone need that much damn soda? They should have never started selling it in such large quantities in the first place.

I will get a large glass of iced tea and have it in my vehicle while driving. 16 oz. Doesn't go very far in drive time. Love Sonic Route 44!! I'm not much of a soda drinker.
  • Tilran
    Tilran Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I'm going to start a Speak-Easy selling 32 ounce sugary drinks in NY...I'm going to make millions! MILLIONS!!

Oh wait...maybe not.
  • jeolds
    Options

This bears repeating! Even in the voting booth, we really have no control because we don't get to choose the candidates. The political parties and the media choose them for us.

^^ You got that right! The media is terrible these days. You have to dig so much to find any real data or information to actually make a good decision.
  • Tracepa98
    Options
    I don't know why everyone is getting upset about it. Its not the first time a ban or an option has been removed from the public eye. McDonalds had to do away with their "Supersize" and there were no riots about it. Honestly even when I ate fast food in the past I still didn't drink a full 16oz with the meal.

We are one of the most unhealthy countries in the world and its time to step up and realize where we need improvement.

I don't blame the government about this and think they should target schools next. Sodas,sugary drinks, and fatty foods should be removed from the lunchrooms. Childhood obesity is where it starts.

It all boils down to it....yes we still have choices and some people will still choose to drink soda. But there is no reason to have large quantities of it available. No one NEEDS to have an option of a 40oz soft drink.
  • jeolds
    Options
    I do not think sugary drinks are healthy---but,really. A ban? I'm curious. Are you pro or against? :drinker:
    -

I think that no one needs to drink 32oz of soda in one sitting.... BUT I don't think it's the governments job to control that. People need to learn to be pro-active with their health and exercise self-control!!!!

^^ I concur with that. Personal responsibility is what it boils down to. If they can control that, what else will they attempt to control?
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Can someone explain to me, rationally, how a ban on selling excessive servings of soda will transform America from a free nation to one under the jackboot of communist oppression?

The slippery slope argument (it all starts from this one thing and will then mushroom into many other negative things) is fallacious at best and outright politics of fear at worst. Sheesh, I'm not American but even I have more confidence in the robustness of your democracy than that.

The market will do nothing to stop rising obesity levels - its function is to increase production and consumption. People it seems have difficulty limiting their own portion sizes so what is there left to do? It is all well and good saying people should exercise self control but what if they don't as is clearly the case? How is the social cost of obesity to be paid for then?