What was your moment of "enough is enough"?

Options

Replies

• kathim429
    kathim429 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I was telling a friend about my mom passing away when I was 8. I commented that I didn't remember her and that it scared me that if I died today, my youngest may not remember me. His response will never leave my head. How old do they have to be before it is ok for you to die?

This broke my heart....

I'm doing it for my kids too. I want to be here for them for as long as humanly possible.

I hope you have a healthy LONG life with your kids...
  • rachelerwin
    rachelerwin Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I was on vacation with my family at an amusement park and my son wanted to ride a rollercoaster with me. I could not close the harness and I had to get off. I was devastated! I felt like I let my son down. I have been going strong ever since. We will be back and I will ride that rollercoaster!
  • Sandyrocks82
    Options
    I had my moment now. Two hours back, when I opened a door in the office, it hit me back and broke my thumb nail in the left toe. The nail came off and was standing vertically as it was still stuck to the base. I had to go the small clinic in the office to see the doctor. I was sitting in a chair for bleeding to stop and one of co-worker was requesting a wheel chair. He was telling over phone that I am a heavy weight person and need a wheel chair that could hold me. The humiliation was more painful than the physical pain. Since May, I have come down 22 lbs and I have another 38 lbs to go. My current weight is around 187 lbs and my height is 5'7". I was initially depressed but now I take it as God's message to get back to track. Lately I have slacked in my workouts and I am restarting insanity forever. Now I am more than ever determined to start insanity once my thumb heals. I realized just now that I could do many standing workouts even with this injury like squats, swings and arm workouts. This time I am going to do without any slacking not for the catty co-worker or some other person. I am doing it for me. I derserve the best. Thanks for taking time to read this and all the support from wonderful people in this website.
  • mzjessicab
    mzjessicab Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I am only 30 and there are too many of my husband and I's friends going to the hospital or dying... Leaving their families behind. The last death was my breaking point.. I will not leave my kids if I can help it.. and I can.
  • jennibee70
    jennibee70 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    When my judo suit (that I bought to exercise and lose weight) would no longer fasten around my stomach. I used to work in a bakery and I was sure when I changed jobs and didn't constantly have cakes and bread around me that the weight would just fall off. Well, it didn't, and a month after changing jobs, I had actually put on 2lbs. I realised I had been in denial about what I actually ate, got my phone and looked for the first calorie counting app I could find, which happened to be mfp, and so far so good - the judo suit overlaps by a couple of inches now.
  • cjk76
    cjk76 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My doctor telling my that I was Obese. I've always been semi-active, so I know that muscle plays a part in my high BMI, but enough is enough. No more excuses. The fact is, muscle or not, I'm considered obese. No one is going to change that but me.
  • kbitikofer
    kbitikofer Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I've never been a truly skinny girl. Growing up, all my friends were significantly tinier than I was. I've yo-yo'd a bit, up and down about 30lbs or so over the years. Last year, the day I married my husband, I weighed 150lbs (@ 5' 7"). When we came home from our honeymoon, I was 158lbs. Usually when I come home from a vacation and get back into a normal routine, the weight falls right off....well this time it didn't. And over the course of the next few months, I added another 10lbs or so. Lost about 4lbs before I got really serious about my weight-loss.

Now, this may be really petty and stupid, but I know my husband's ex-fiancee and i've seen photos of his most recent ex-gf, both of which are girls with amazing bodies. My true ah-ha moment came about 2 months ago when I looked in the mirror and thought to myself "Your husband has had girls that are half your size! What the hell are you doing with him?"

Now to be perfectly clear, I'm not losing weight for my husband (though his reaction to how my body is changing has been a very positive bonus). I am losing weight because I'm not happy with what I see. For once (and forever), I want to look in the mirror and see flat abs with no muffin top or love handles(not necessarily a 6-pack, though that would be awesome!), I want to see muscles, I want to be strong, I want to be healthy. I've adopted a mostly clean diet (i'm sorry, but there are some things i'm just not willing to give up... hello chocolate!) and I work out 4-6 days a week. I lift heavy weights, I run and take a kickboxing class. I'm hoping to start doing crossfit really soon and to really push myself. I signed up for a 5k Survival Race/Mud Run that is in a week and a half (and I'm praying I don't die). So far, i'm down about 7lbs and back into the 150's (thank the higher powers!) and going strong.

I want to be extremely confident with my body, I want to be someone that my husband can show off when we go out, someone that makes other girls jealous and other guys envious. My husband is sexy and i want to match him, 1:1. Most of all, I want to be healthy for a lifetime. Diets come and go, Lifestyle changes are forever.
  • tracypk
    tracypk Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    My moment was this weekend when I gave my best friend my skinny jeans because I just felt bad they were sitting in my drawer not being worn. My goal is to get them back!
  • DenisePenland
    Options
    When i saw I weighed more than I did 37 weeks preggo with twins :cry:
  • jerzypeach
    jerzypeach Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    We had just moved to a new state and I had to go get a new driver's license. I was so embarrassed to write down my height 5'3" and weight 170lbs on a document that would be in my wallet for years.......that I did the only logical thing.....I went home and proceeded to eat myself into another 15 pounds over the course of the next month. THAT'S when I finally hit rock bottom.......185lbs on a 5'3" frame.

Fast forward 5 years.....I'm still the same height. :-) and now I weigh 135lbs. I've kept the weight off for that time within a 5-10 pound range.

It's not easy....I'm still logging in here every day. But, it certainly can be done.

Best wishes to everyone on their journey to health!
  • sweetpea44813
    Options
    My "enough is enough" moment was when I went to the hospital because I was having a heart attack. I thought good lord I'm only 43 this can't be happening and that day I had just told my doctor that I didn't want to become my mother. She passed at 55...of CHF and Emphazima. That isn't going to be me, I want to see my grandchildren grow up...not miss out on everything. I will do this and be happy as I'm already feeling so much better, actually better than I have in years.
  • LordByproduct
    Options
    a glimpse of myself in the mirror after showering. one wouldnt think that would sneak up on you the way it did but i suddenly saw how fat i was especially belly in profile....it was horrible but an awakening type moment. i had know i was getting fat when the scale hit 250 and 300 but was in denial. by the time i broke free i was 340.....now with MFP i am 318 and dropping.
  • EccentricDad
    EccentricDad Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    When I (unintentionally) puked an entire meal that I enjoyed putting in my stomach and immediately followed it up with "the runs". This was NOT the flu and it was NOT food poisoning. For a long time now I knew something I was eating was causing me to have digestive issues and malnutrition; after spending 2 hours in the bathroom, it was time to make a change. I started an elimination diet of foods that commonly cause ADHD, GERD, Fibromyalgia, Arthritis, and Anxiety only to find a strong link to Gluten and similar long chain proteins as well as sugars/starches. One by one I eliminated the typical allergens (which none showed up on my allergy test I had several years back), and as I eliminated the allergens, my health had vastly improved. But as you and I both know, wheat and sugar is in EVERYTHING. So I was FORCED to start cooking at home to save the family money, and now I am the family cook as well as 70 lbs lighter since April 2012.
  • KNJMAMA
    Options
    I'm in my moment right now. I am sick of restarts but I have literally had enough of a good thing and think my latest illness bout can be linked to my high sugar/carb diet. I am also 9 month post-natal and I have lost all my baby weight. A sad fact when it has made hardly a dent on my overall weight. I am 28 on the 1st october and I want to leave my 20's and enter my 30's at a happy, healthy weight. i am also wanting to update my wardrobe and I don't want to buy clothes in my current size. Time to make those changes.
  • bushs99
    bushs99 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    My "enough is enough" moment came after seeing pictures from my daughters wedding when I thought I looked nice, but I didn't. Then seeing pictures from our vacation to Maui. After that I said "No more"!
  • MyMyselfI
    Options
    When my stomach proceeded my breast thus making me look pregnant. Then I started trying to hide my stomach by wearing larger clothes or wearing my pants higher.
  • rabidcow
    rabidcow Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I was apple picking with my family this weekend. I went to put my son on my shoulders so he could reach the apples, and my knees almost buckled.
  • BruhManFif
    BruhManFif Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Enough is Enough when I filled the prescription for high blood pressure medication for 60 some odd dollars :mad: .... I thought this is stupid... I deal with health insurance at work... I know where this is going... I'm going to be paying out the ying yang for this extra weight if I don't get it off.... 17 months later and 139.5 pounds lighter... I still have 40 to go... but I'm a lot closer to it now than I was a year and half ago!!!

:wink:

Just get started and KEEP GOING!!!!!

Incredible. Congrats!
  • 1sophiesophie
    1sophiesophie Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    :happy:
    Mine was when I woke up on the morning of my gastric band op and asked myself : have I done everything I can to lose this weight myself??? The answer was no. So I didn't go for the operation and decided to tackle this myself with the help of a local weight loss support group in Wakefield West Yorkshire called Wakefield Larger than Life. They support anyone considering Bariatric surgery, or those wanting to lose weight naturally. That along with the local Shape Your Weight Course which I have just joined 2 weeks ago. Now 20kg down since June and feeling GR8
    Angie

Love this. I have nothing against a gastric band at all, but it is such a serious undertaking. I love the fact that you questioned yourself (and so close to the op too) and then proved another path would work. Well done you!
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I went in for my annual at my gyne and weighed in at a whopping 194. I was just...horrified. I was bigger than I was at 9 months pregnant, and that was just...not okay with me.

3 months later and 20lbs lighter, I'm almost back to my pre-pregnancy weight. And though I've lost 20lbs I have never once felt deprived or felt like I can't eat what I want to - I just think of my calories like money and I only get so much, so I'm choosier on what I "spend" on.

But that said, the benefits of working out go way beyond my weight...I love going for a walk with my husband and not making him slow down!