A tip for parents (and others, I guess)

Options
sktllmdrhmzz
sktllmdrhmzz Posts: 189 Member
If you're eager for your children to hide things from you, discipline them without asking them about things first. Works like a charm. They'll never come to you with anything.

Kick out your daughter's boyfriend for something in a search history? Guess who's gonna go out and learn how to clear search histories?

Replies

• scs143
    scs143 Posts: 2,190 Member
    Options
    Have kids?
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Dammit she beat me to it.....this will be fun. Popcorn anyone??
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    If you're eager for your children to hide things from you, discipline them without asking them about things first. Works like a charm. They'll never come to you with anything.

Kick out your daughter's boyfriend for something in a search history? Guess who's gonna go out and learn how to clear search histories?

Be my daddy?

Wait huh??
  • scs143
    scs143 Posts: 2,190 Member
    Options

Lol, I am not trying to argue with him, just curious. It's always easy for those who don't have to suggest ways in which parents ("or others") could do something different.
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options

so so very true.

however, in this house, there is no deleting history, LMAO. My kid was so dumb to actually think their dad wouldn't know how to fetch it. bone head, she knows better!
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options

Lol, I am not trying to argue with him, just curious. It's always easy for those who don't have to suggest ways in which parents ("or others") could do something different.

That was my question...it's all good. Ask him again. Hey OP answer the question...please.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

Yes, please. Extra butter on mine.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

so so very true.

however, in this house, there is no deleting history, LMAO. My kid was so dumb to actually think their dad wouldn't know how to fetch it. bone head, she knows better!

I installed Norton 360 with parental controls... even if they delete the history, Norton tracks their every move for me.
  • sktllmdrhmzz
    Options
    so so very true.

So you think they don't know how to remove it site by site? You nuke the whole thing and it's obvious it's been tampered with.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    Kids lie. Sometimes 'asking' them isn't enough.
  • sktllmdrhmzz
    Options
    I installed Norton 360 with parental controls... even if they delete the history, Norton tracks their every move for me.

Unless they're running Linux from a thumbdrive.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options

Perfectly said. Thank you!

Yes kids sometimes lie, but they tell the truth too. Also, when you do something like say, banning a boyfriend, that thing often becomes the forbidden fruit. You'd be better off discussing why certain choices are bad ones (like trying to make meth).
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options

so so very true.

yeah, there are ways around that as well. However, unless my daughter can figure out what the husband's root password is... she is SOL
  • sktllmdrhmzz
    Options

I agree it's a lot harder to know what does work, but some things are pretty easy to see as bad ideas.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    So, what's the tip?
  • sktllmdrhmzz
    Options
    So, what's the tip?

Act like a warden and your kids will learn to act like criminals.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    My kids knew how to clear search histories at age 10 or so, even before I knew of search histories.
  • bwcrouch
    bwcrouch Posts: 105 Member
    Options

index.dat - google for a free reader. Also, don't give kids administrative access. Set up a generic user for them and disable their ability to clear history in the registry and disable their ability to edit the registry. You can google that too. :)
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Kids lie. Sometimes 'asking' them isn't enough.

:flowerforyou: I was going to say that too!
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I'm going to take away the spoons from ALL the stirrers. ALL OF THEM.