A tip for parents (and others, I guess)

Options

Replies

• magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    so so very true.

however, in this house, there is no deleting history, LMAO. My kid was so dumb to actually think their dad wouldn't know how to fetch it. bone head, she knows better!

So you think they don't know how to remove it site by site? You nuke the whole thing and it's obvious it's been tampered with.

we have a network in our house and everything that goes to their computer goes through a server. That server logs everything and redflags specific types of websites. So unless they know how to access the server with it's password on my husband's computer with it's own password, and how to figure out how to find this specific stuff, no. They can't erase it. As a parent, I know when they're up to stuff and when it's time to see where they've been. I typically leave their stuff alone unless it's obvious they're up to something. It's like when they're 3. If they're quiet you KNOW they're up to something.
  • jeolds
    jeolds Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    If you're eager for your children to hide things from you, discipline them without asking them about things first. Works like a charm. They'll never come to you with anything.

Kick out your daughter's boyfriend for something in a search history? Guess who's gonna go out and learn how to clear search histories?

so so very true.

however, in this house, there is no deleting history, LMAO. My kid was so dumb to actually think their dad wouldn't know how to fetch it. bone head, she knows better!

Yeah, that is always fun. They freak when they start to find out you know far more than they do. Like being able to pull the history for the router's cache. LOL
  • lour441
    lour441 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    My kids don't even know I have a key logger. Good luck to them.
  • zewolf77
    zewolf77 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I installed Norton 360 with parental controls... even if they delete the history, Norton tracks their every move for me.

Unless they're running Linux from a thumbdrive.

Buy a small SOHO Firewall/Router with logging capabilities. Use the proxy feature and force all web traffic through that link. Unless they use their cell phone.. you'll know.

Otherwise, yes.. I agree with you completely. If we want our kids to be open and honest with them, we should do the same with them.
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    If you're eager for your children to hide things from you, discipline them without asking them about things first. Works like a charm. They'll never come to you with anything.

Kick out your daughter's boyfriend for something in a search history? Guess who's gonna go out and learn how to clear search histories?

so so very true.

Yeah, that is always fun. They freak when they start to find out you know far more than they do. Like being able to pull the history for the router's cache. LOL

For awhile there was some serious boyfriend drama, so we just logged their facebook chat. It was pretty damned annoying. at least my husband made them in pretty, easy to read colors? :flowerforyou: I love him! He makes my parenting so much easier with his skills!
  • sdumma
    sdumma Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Perfectly said. Thank you!

Yes kids sometimes lie, but they tell the truth too. Also, when you do something like say, banning a boyfriend, that thing often becomes the forbidden fruit. You'd be better off discussing why certain choices are bad ones (like trying to make meth).
    [/quote]

Very much agree. Good thoughtful parents know how to trust their kids and have them trust you in return. I see this time and time again parents blowing up on their kids only to have it backfire in their faces. If only my parents new this trick lol
    I know because not only do I have children, but I was one of those bad *kitten* kids myself.
  • sktllmdrhmzz
    sktllmdrhmzz Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    index.dat - google for a free reader. Also, don't give kids administrative access. Set up a generic user for them and disable their ability to clear history in the registry and disable their ability to edit the registry. You can google that too. :)

Except that Firefox, etc. doesn't use index.dat. Anywho, I get your point. You could go all the way down to putting a password on the BIOS, but most people would probably rather shoot themselves in the face than deal with what it would actually take to make things "foolproof."
  • anastasiawildflower
    Options
    So, what's the tip?

Act like a warden and your kids will learn to act like criminals.

My dad used to ask me about the situation at hand first. Problem was, he always interrogated me (he has law enforcement background and now works as a fed). That clearly didn't work either. I became very good at lying to avoid the situation all together. Sometimes a little open communication and trust can go a long way.
  • pooleekylie
    Options

I agree with this also. It's important for your children to trust you so that they will come to you if ever they have an actual problem. Kids will be kids no matter how strict or laid-back you are as a parent. The difference is that one set of parents will know whats going on in their lives, while the others will be oblivious because their children will hide everything from them.

I don't need to be a parent to know this-- I was a stupid kid very recently, and still am. Maybe some of my ****ty decisions could have been prevented if I had felt comfortable admitting the truth to my own parents.
  • Seriousmom3
    Options
    k9 web protection...it is free. it tracks, blocks, totally customizable. i use it at work for co-workers who want to facebook all day.
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Wait, DO you have kids? I am a little unclear on that since my kid keeps jumping on my lap, pointing at the screen and laughing. Smart 2 year old :heart:
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    For awhile there was some serious boyfriend drama, so we just logged their facebook chat. It was pretty damned annoying. at least my husband made them in pretty, easy to read colors? :flowerforyou: I love him! He makes my parenting so much easier with his skills!

LOL!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Have kids?
    I have a kid. She's nearly 18 and never been any trouble. I know the thread the OP is referencing and I agree completely.
  • amnsetie
    amnsetie Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    So what are you clever people doing when you find things in the history?
    do you ground them?
    or do you discuss the issues with love and understanding?

and why would you block information from your children, you don't want them to learn?

you better hope they don't check your history
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    It's a good thing some of us parents are also pretty good with this intergoogle computer thingie.
    It almost sounds like you are advocating no dicipline for the kids.

I think the best thing to do is raise your kids to respect you.
    Hopefully if my Daughter is interested is some boy, she will dump him as soon as he feels the need to start hiding his internet history.
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Who cares what your kids look up? My parents never did. :glasses:
  • amnsetie
    amnsetie Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    wtg bill i think he meant
    respect not distrust
    like what you have achieved
  • CentralCaliCycling
    Options
    So, what's the tip?

And what do you do when they decide to do whatever they want because no one set limits?
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    Raised three girls. Never met a teenaged boy I couldn't intimidate.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    So, what's the tip?

And what do you do when they decide to do whatever they want because no one set limits?

Oh come now. If you just talk to your kids and never, ever second guess their word they won't ever do bad things. Ever. EVER.