Why Almond Milk?

Options

Replies

• xiofett
    xiofett Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I drink it because I seem to have a slight intolerance to lactose. I'm ok with a little, but too much hits me hard. I did soy milk for a while, then switched to almond at the recommendation of my girlfriend. Tastes good and I can have a full bowl of cereal without paying for it later.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I generally prefer cow's milk, but Almond milk is tasty, low cal, and good for lactose intolerant people, especially those who are for whatever reason avoiding soy.

I would choose almond milk every time over skim cow's milk though- I find skim milk repulsive. Almond milk (especially the unsweetened ones) mixes very well with protein powder and only adds 35cals/8oz (depending on the brand). It's a million, zillion times better than water for mixing protein shakes.
  • belladonna786
    belladonna786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    i love the taste, i dont want milk, and its super low cal
  • biglew909
    biglew909 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'm lactose intolerant, and it's low in calories. I hate the way it tastes in cereal, but I don't notice it when I mix it in my protein shakes.
  • jknoell
    jknoell Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I actually used to drink it (and make my own) until a doctor told me that it had the health benefit of water. And to make it, you pretty much just stick almonds, water, vanilla, and a sweetner (I used agave syrup) in a blender, then use cheesecloth to strain it, so you take out all the gritty almond that is left behind (which, it turns out, is the good stuff). I've since gone back to soymilk.

Of course, it was only one doctor who told me that... I see lots of other evidence that it is healthy... I just choose not to use it anymore. (so please, no one jump all over my post b/c of that statement). :tongue:
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Because cow's milk is nasty. Humans are the only species that drinks milk from another species!. Almond milk goes awesome in protein shakes or with anything else that would call for milk.

Only because other animals generally don't have the choice! Put a bowl of milk in front of a cat and see if that statement sticks. :wink:
  • kidcole11
    kidcole11 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    It is sooooooooo good! I'm totally addicted to it and think of it as a treat. I like blue diamond or silk and go with either vanilla or dark chocolate. The unsweetened did not taste good to me. I got started on it when I went a month trying to be a vegan. It is lower in calories, and is a good source of nutrients. Try it, You'll like it! and if you don't, then that is sad, but I love it!
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I like cow's milk. One question: How can almond mild be lower in fat than fat free skim milk? I'm not allergic so I'll stick to the real thing and take my daily multiple vitamin.
  • Thanks for replying everyone lol, personally i drink soy milk but i'll have to buy some and see how it taste lol.. =)
  • welsh_lass86
    welsh_lass86 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Can anyone from the UK recommend a good brand? I've just tried alpros almond milk and I'm NOT a fan. But there again I prefer delamere soy milk to alpro soy milk so wasn't sure if I didn't like it just because it's alpro.

Anyway, any recommendations would be welcome.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Almond Milk is a popular subsitute for cow's milk. It packs a lot of Nutritional Value and, unlike Cow's milk, is safe for those who are lactose intolerant or have gluten and casein allergies :) Below is a statement I found from fitday.com. Hope this helps!

Cow's milk does not contain gluten.
  • dittmarml
    dittmarml Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Dairy free, high in calcium, tastes creamy in smoothies.

^^^This.
  • Timmyttt418
    Timmyttt418 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Well, I've never reall had a cat! My dog loves them though! Loves chasing, pouncing, etc... .
  • kellyo15
    Options
    Because it's delicious?
  • PNCTink
    PNCTink Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I just prefer the taste. I make my own and use less water to make creamer for my coffee as well.
  • EdgyMcSterious
    Options
    How do they milk those little almonds?
  • Timmyttt418
    Timmyttt418 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Because cow's milk is nasty. !. Almond milk goes awesome in protein shakes or with anything else that would call for milk.

Only because other animals generally don't have the choice! Put a bowl of milk in front of a cat and see if that statement sticks. :wink:
  • LaurenLite
    Options
    While I used to use almond milk, I have recently switched to unsweetened flaxmilk. At only 25 calories a cup, I find it tastes much smoother and is much better in cereal and alone. I absolutely adore it and would never go back to almond.
  • Ridestolive6969
    Options
    Yes!!!! Thank you!!!

Other animals do not suckle at the teats of other animals do they!:smooched:
  • know_your_worth
    know_your_worth Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Because cow's milk is nasty. Humans are the only species that drinks milk from another species!. Almond milk goes awesome in protein shakes or with anything else that would call for milk.
    That freakin made me laugh! "Humans are the only species that drinks milk from another species!" :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: