E-reader....yes or no?

Options

Replies

• jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    I have two Kindles, but there is a constantly growing and changing pile of paperbacks next to my bed at all times. There's just something about the physical experience of reading a book that adds to the experience for me. The tactile sensation and even the smell of a new paperback just pulls some trigger in my brain, it is hard to explain.
  • ShmoozyQ
    ShmoozyQ Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I love my Nook Color. I can read at night with all the lights off (and not disturb the hubby) with the screen set to a black background and the lowest light setting.
  • lundii
    lundii Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I love my Sony eReader.
    Never expected that, but it happened.
    I love reading since I was four years old and I read a lot of books, which need a lot of space in my home.
    Now all my books are in this small Sony.
    Our public librarys in Germany offer the option to borrow ebooks there. You can borrow them online whenever you have time.
    They do it in epub format, so I need a reader which is compatible with it.
    That's why I don't have the kindle.
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Lots to think about. Got a very bad review (and more online) for customer service for repairs and troubles with the Kobo, so will have to see if that has improved. Sony's newest reader had horrible reviews on the web site since they went plastic, removed the headphone jack and took out 3 of the international dictionaries. Kindle is possible, but can't use the library lend feature here in Canada.
  • belladonna786
    belladonna786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    I have an ipad and I love reading on it!
  • wildcatnyc
    wildcatnyc Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    I love, love, love my kindle! Make sure to get the version that isn't backlit.
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    We've got 3 different kindles and I love them all. Some you can read in bright sunlight, some you cant, so take that into consideration if you plan on reading in the sunlight like I do at our pool or the beach.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I love my Kindle as well. It's older version keyboard version, but I read on it constantly. Really, the ability to increase the font size lets me read for pleasure again. It's been a real Godsend for me. The new lighted one is intriguing, I may just get that one.

Edit to Add: Too many people think of books as nothing but decoration, something to line up on the shelves and look pretty. That makes me sad.
  • NikkiHann17
    NikkiHann17 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    My husband bought me an inexpensive one from wal-mart online about two years ago as an anniversary present and I love it don't leave home without it. Not to mention most my favorite authors I can get thier books. My sister in-law downloads them from different sites and passes them one. Best investment ever.
  • ShyFeather
    ShyFeather Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I would not want to go through school without my kindle. My professors like to give me pdfs of notes. I don't like to read them on the computer as it'll strain my eyes, but printing them out would take a lot of ink and paper. So I put them on my kindle instead and I'll have all the notes together on one device I can bring to class with me. Also, I have difficulties reading fast from a learning disorder I have, so I have used the read-out-loud feature and it helped me with finishing my daily readings during my more intense school schedules. Unfortunately, none of my textbooks this semester have digital copies :( As far as fiction, though, everything is offered digitally these days. Even Harry Potter is finally getting its digital release.
  • waistfinder
    waistfinder Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I've started reading again when I bought my Sony eReader because I can change the size of the text. Just too resistant to get glasses I suppose. My arms weren't long enough, and I wasn't reading because of it, but that's changed.
    Also, I can read in bed again thanks to the cover with light I purchased separately with it. Husband had banned the bedside table lamp I used to use.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I was resistant, but I love having a Nook.

Not that I'd ever read pirated material or anything :wink: but I've "heard" that you can often find free ebooks online if you search for .epub files.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I have a Nook and a Kindle Fire. I really like that any book I want is instantly at my fingertips. I take my Kindle on vacation so I have a wide choice of books and it doesn't take up any room at all.

You can subscribe to email lists that will email you daily what Amazon books are being offered for free. Its a great way to find new authors and some established authors put some of their backlist for free. Probably half of my books on my Kindle I got for free or $.99 or less.

However, I still like reading paper books. There is nothing that will replace them in my mind. Just like the computer didn't replace the pencil, the ereader won't replace a good old-fashioned paperback.
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    My Kindle was great. I just preordered a Kindle Paperwhite 3G to replace my Kindle DX.

Though if I really like a book I'll buy the hardcover.
  • Jennacita
    Jennacita Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I have a NOOK tablet and love it. Books, magazines and internet all in one place. I had no problem reading at the beach or pool while on vacation with it. I think going to the store and playing with them is the best idea. Good luck.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I resisted e-readers for a long time, but I have to say I really love my Kindle Touch.

You can read it in bright light (including outdoors), it has on-board dictionaries, you can track people or places mentioned in any book, etc.

I'm tempted by the new Paperwhite Kindle which has a built-in light, but as I've had my current Kindle less than a year, can't justify the expense.

I do recommend going to store and playing with the physical models prior to making a purchase decision. I went to a Staples and played with all the then-available Kindles before buying.

Also recommend buying some sort of protective case, especially if you'll be throwing this into a briefcase or handbag. E-readers are pretty sturdy, but not indestructible!
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Lots of good input.....will definitely be going to some stores and playing around with them when I get home to find a model that suits me.
  • sullivann
    sullivann Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I'm excited, I'm going to pre-order the Kindle Paperwhite here soon. :))
  • mousepaws22
    mousepaws22 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I've just bought a Kindle and it seems OK but I much prefer books. Only reason I have bought it is because I am going away next month and only have 15kg luggage and 5kg hand luggage- I need to take about 20 books with me so I have to buy one really!
  • Nina2503
    Nina2503 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I didnt think I would take to a kindle at first, and it took a bit of getting used to but I have to say it is one of the best (if not the best present) I have ever received. I take it everywhere and love the fact that I can read several books at once without having to carry them about, or faff about trying to find the last page I read etc. I wouldnt be without it now, that said there are books in paperform that I will continue to buy and read such as cook books or illustrated books