E-reader....yes or no?

Options

Replies

• alie001
    alie001 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I love my KOBO...I take it everywhere. I took it to Japan and read on the plane. I took 65 books...lol. I do still love actual books. There is something magical about the feel of a book, the cracking the spine of a new book etc. but those HUGE books that are 900-1000 pages long...well...Kobo is lighter....especially reading in bed.
  • jewelsbehm
    jewelsbehm Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    While preparing for relocation I gave away most of my book collection. Thousands of books. In return, I promised myself a Kindle. Got one of the plain keyboard Kindles and I love it. Wouldn't go back. I can take all my books with me and I have so much free space in my home now. Totally worth it. :)
  • TheDreadPirateRoberts
    Options
    Currently considering a Nexus 7 as an E-reader myself.

I considered a Kindle, but the reviews on Amazon I read seem to suggest its not that reliable after a year or two and Amazon are less than helpful when it breaks just out of warranty. I also noted that when they say "battery lasts a month", the small print says "assuming you use it for 30 minutes a day", so the battery is actually 15 hours. That said, they are cheap and the glare is less than other devices.

I think I'll get a Nexus though, because although the battery is less, the cost is more and the reading experience is not as good, it can do a lot more than just read books. YOu can get an MFP app for it for instance.
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I have a Kindle, it's great. No back-light, doesn't hurt your eyes. Book prices are much cheaper, you can enlarge the letters if needed. Weighs nothing, much nicer to carry around. 5 stars for me.
  • TrishaCrave
    Options
    I have a good experience with a best interaction with people and also watching TV shows with Netflix is a way of communication that can have it more stress free.
  • TheDreadPirateRoberts
    Options
    I have a good experience with a best interaction with people and also watching TV shows with Netflix is a way of communication that can have it more stress free.

If you're going to spam, at least try and spam intelligibly...
  • 1sophiesophie
    1sophiesophie Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Yes, yes, YES.

LOVE my kindle, the screen is so good you're not even aware of it while you're reading. I read more than I ever did without it (as I carry it around and will often dip in and out of books I have loaded just in small bits (e.g. like waiting for a bus). You can buy books instantly, on a whim (e.g. just after reading a review). I also love the feature allowing you to instantly look up words you don't know in the dictionary. You can also save quotes that you love from books to look at later. Reminds you of great books you have read and why you liked them.

Only downside - you can't lend good books to your friends without lending them the whole thing.
  • giggles7706
    giggles7706 Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    I have a Kindle Fire and I love it! I have no problems reading on it.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    Everyone in my family has a kindle or some ti[ype of e-reader. My wife, my daughters, sisters, brothers, friends.

They keep trying to get me to try it. Never going to happen. I like reading a book. I always have a paperback within reach. When they stop printing books, I'll stop reading.
  • txlissa62
    Options
    Only downside - you can't lend good books to your friends without lending them the whole thing.

There are many e-books you can lend to your friends if they have the same type of e-reader. My mom and I have shared books on our Nooks, and I think you can do the same with the Kindle.
  • TheDreadPirateRoberts
    Options
    Damn you MFP and your ereader threads! I've just gone and bought one!

Ah well!

For UK readers who want a Nexus 7, this is the cheapest current way to get one:

Go via Quidco (3% Cashback when using Tesco Direct). Then click on Tesco Direct and add a Nexus to your basket. Then add some cheap batteries that are in stock that you need that takes the price over £200. Then use code TDX-KNHP at checkout. You then get a 16GB Nexus and some batteries for a combined cost of ~£175. I'm picking mine up after work from the local Tescos.
  • glwerth
    glwerth Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Trying to decide if I should invest in an e-reader. I love books, read all the time, but don't know if I could get into reading on the screen all the time. Anyone have one and what do you think? What models do you like?

I got one about four and a half years ago....five? Anyway, I thought I would hate it. I really did.

I was that person who never went anywhere without a tote bag of books. My husband bought me a Kindle because he was tired of the book slide zones in our home. We were forever running out of bookshelf space.

I told him that it would never work, that I'd hate it.

I was wrong and now I do most of my reading on my Kindle (or as my beloved calls him, the extension of my arm in a pink cover).

I have a regular Kindle and a Fire. I don't like reading for long periods on a backlit screen, but on my standard Kindle, I actually experience less eye strain than with a traditional book.

Books with graphics, charts, or pictures are still better on paper or the Fire (tablet form), but for your general reading, it is so nice to be able to have one small device instead of the tote bag!

I love mine!
  • glwerth
    Options
    Currently considering a Nexus 7 as an E-reader myself.

I considered a Kindle, but the reviews on Amazon I read seem to suggest its not that reliable after a year or two and Amazon are less than helpful when it breaks just out of warranty. I also noted that when they say "battery lasts a month", the small print says "assuming you use it for 30 minutes a day", so the battery is actually 15 hours. That said, they are cheap and the glare is less than other devices.

I think I'll get a Nexus though, because although the battery is less, the cost is more and the reading experience is not as good, it can do a lot more than just read books. YOu can get an MFP app for it for instance.

I read on my Kindle constantly and I need to charge it about once a week. I just plug it in Sunday night before I go to bed and it's all good to go the next morning. I've also had GREAT experiences with Amazon service, even for out of warranty devices.
  • glwerth
    Options

There are many e-books you can lend to your friends if they have the same type of e-reader. My mom and I have shared books on our Nooks, and I think you can do the same with the Kindle.

You can lend books to other Kindle users. Also, both Nook and Kindle users can borrow library books on their devices. My mother does this regularly. I'm more of a buy books kind of gal.
  • mathteacher2010
    mathteacher2010 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I've had a Kindle since the very first one came out. I now have a Kindle fire and love that too! My husband uses the first one and I use both the other 2. I use the Fire at the gym on the treadmill; I can either read or watch a video. If you buy a membership to Amazon Prime you can watch hundreds of free videos as long as there is wifi where you are. I have Restless Leg Syndrome and am often up at night; I love that with the Kindle you can download a new book whenever you want it. No waiting to go to the bookstore!
  • SherryR1971
    SherryR1971 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    LOVE LOVE LOVE my Kindle! I wouldn't trade it for anything!!
  • heidimaggott78
    Options
    I have a basic Kindle, the 3G version with a keyboard and I LOVE it! They should encourage the use of them in schools so that the kids don't have to lug about all those textbooks
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    It's not for me, but a lot of people love them.

I love to be surrounded by books, real books, all over my house. And I like to hold them in my hands as I read and turn pages and be able to look at where my bookmark is to see how far I've read and how far I have to go.
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I love my Kindle. The old-school one with the black/white screen. I don't love it better than books but let me tel you why I love it.

1) I can read outside comfortably without glare (anything backlit won't allow this!)
    2) I can carry as many books as I want with me on vacation and it only weighs a pound!
    3) I can re-read my books easily without hunting for them.

I'll always love books best. But this is a really convenient option for someone like me who is always on the go... always on a train, plane or bus.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Everyone in my family has a kindle or some ti[ype of e-reader. My wife, my daughters, sisters, brothers, friends.

They keep trying to get me to try it. Never going to happen. I like reading a book. I always have a paperback within reach. When they stop printing books, I'll stop reading.

I'm mostly with you. I hope they never quite printing books because it will not be the same, but I will never stop reading.

Oh, and I want to point out that my cell phone doubles as a Kindle and I've downloaded some free things I was interested in but not enough to go out and buy a book, so I have tried reading on an e-reader and I definitely do not like it. But if it were my only option, that's what I would do. Until then, bookstores can count on my business.